ynygma

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021
Hello all,

I installed a midland 275mxt radio using the direct battery connection under the passenger side and grounding it to one of the ground screws under the kick panel.

Everything was working great, was communicating very clearly with the two other Jeeps in our caravan to Silverton.

Around Amarillo, TX I would hear static like someone was transmitting and it would just happen out of the blue. The other Jeep’s didn’t have the issue also using midland radios.

They can hear me clearly and me them, but sometimes there would just be constant static unless I press the transmit button then it temporarily stops but soon the static returns.

Is there anyone in the Silverton area that could look at this or could tell me what’s wrong, is there a connection issue, etc?
Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
Hello all,

I installed a midland 275mxt radio using the direct battery connection under the passenger side and grounding it to one of the ground screws under the kick panel.

Everything was working great, was communicating very clearly with the two other Jeeps in our caravan to Silverton.

Around Amarillo, TX I would hear static like someone was transmitting and it would just happen out of the blue. The other Jeep’s didn’t have the issue also using midland radios.

They can hear me clearly and me them, but sometimes there would just be constant static unless I press the transmit button then it temporarily stops but soon the static returns.

Is there anyone in the Silverton area that could look at this or could tell me what’s wrong, is there a connection issue, etc?
Not sure if you are having the same issue but maybe you need some adjustments:

Adjusting Squelch Sensitivity The MXT275 has adjustable squelch sensitivity. The minimum squelch level of 01 is the most sensitive, which allows the squelch to open on very weak signals. Setting the squelch to the maximum setting of 09 requires very strong signals to open the squelch. Page 22 midlandusa.com Model MXT275 To adjust the Squelch Sensitivity: 1.Press the Menu button to place the radio in “Menu” mode. 2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options until the LCD display shows Sq. 3.Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. 4. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or backward to select the desired squelch level, from 01 to 09. ▪ The default squelch setting is 04, which generally provides reliable squelch operation for most applications. 5. When the desired squelch level is shown on the LCD display, press the Lock button to confirm your selection. YOU MUST PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON TO CONFIRM YOUR SELECTION OR THE SQUELCH SENSITIVITY WILL NOT BE CHANGED.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Long time since someone posted here but in addition to what has been said about squelch adjustment there could be an antenna issue.

Did you use the Ghost antenna? Where is it mounted?

The Ghost antenna is a great little antenna IF is mounted up high and away from any obstructions. Roof rack mounting is a good place for these as long as the antenna is above the roof rack itself.

Is your antenna mounted on a spare tire carrier in the back of the Jeep. That type of mount gives all types of signal problems with the GMRS antennas out there EXCEPT the new Midland Grand Vista 4 foot fiberglass whip. Its not the cheapest antenna out there but it is a premium one and does come with a quality cable and as such it is priced about the same as a the premium Wison 5000 CB antenna with a cable.

Antennas mounted next to LED ditch lights can cause interference,

Other than the new Midland premium Bull Bar antennas and the Midland Grand Vista, just about every antenna out there will have some issues due to blockage by body parts of the Jeep such as windshield frame, fenders, doors, mirrors, tire carrier, etc.

As with any radio system, GMRS included, the antenna is the heart of the system and will make or break it.
Sponsored