Max Weight - Tailgate with Mopar Reinforcement

Hollymav

First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Hey everyone. Does anyone know the max weight for the tailgate with the mopar reinforcement installed. Manual says the max weight stock but can’t find anything related to the two reinforcement kit other than “needed for mounting larger tires”. I’m running 37s and it appears fine but would like to add a hi-lift mount and Rotopax to the mix. Won’t do it until I know the weight won’t wreck it. Don’t want to upgrade the tire carrier at this time.

that said...anyone know?It’s not listed on mopars website or any retailer that I’ve seen so far.

Appreciate the insight!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hollymav

First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Been rock climbing with it without issue. Haven’t seen anyone say they’ve had troubles either.

Just lots of “it can’t handle it” or “I wouldn’t do it”. But so far ZERO actual people have said they used the mopar kit, mounted 37s, went off-road and had issues.

With it being a $700 option it clearly should have some strength. Has anyone actually had issues? Have pics of what’s happened? Or know the weight to be able to determine what it can handle?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
With it being a $700 option it clearly should have some strength. Has anyone actually had issues? Have pics of what’s happened? Or know the weight to be able to determine what it can handle?
Well then you can be the first to show us some pics.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Been rock climbing with it without issue. Haven’t seen anyone say they’ve had troubles either.

Just lots of “it can’t handle it” or “I wouldn’t do it”. But so far ZERO actual people have said they used the mopar kit, mounted 37s, went off-road and had issues.

If you're going to spend $700 on shoring up the gate and tire carrier, go with Rusty's or EVO. Their carriers take all the weight of your spare (plus accessories) off the tailgate and put it at the tub where it belongs. The Mopar reinforcement bracket doesn't do this at all.

I still don't understand the notion of this product somehow magically making your gate stronger when all you're doing is adding more weight to the stock hinges in the first place. While they're definitely beefier than the JK ones, they still aren't designed for 37s in the long term.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

You haven’t heard of any issues because the JL is only 3 years old. Give it time. Physics wins every time.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you're going to spend $700 on shoring up the gate and tire carrier, go with Rusty's or EVO. Their carriers take all the weight of your spare (plus accessories) off the tailgate and put it at the tub where it belongs. The Mopar reinforcement bracket doesn't do this at all.

I still don't understand the notion of this product somehow magically making your gate stronger when all you're doing is adding more weight to the stock hinges in the first place. While they're definitely beefier than the JK ones, they still aren't designed for 37s in the long term.
Even those are a poor choice. The mounting points on the tub are going to fail over time. Bumper or frame-mounted carrier is the only way to go,

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Even those are a poor choice. The mounting points on the tub are going to fail over time. Bumper or frame-mounted carrier is the only way to go,
With just a 35" or 37" spare, they'll be fine. Even folks running the cheap-and-chinesey ones for years aren't dealing with tubs getting prolapsed.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
With just a 35" or 37" spare, they'll be fine. Even folks running the cheap-and-chinesey ones for years aren't dealing with tubs getting prolapsed.
That’sa lot of weight all cantilevered to one spot. No way I’d trust it.
Sponsored