Manual or Automatic for Offroading

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm just curious what everyone prefers for offroading (manual or automatic) and why?
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I think the usual thinking is that automatics give you more control and consistency of the torque being applied. Right off the bat however, the manuals have a higher crawl ratio (84:1). In low gear, the manual rolls without even having to hit the gas in first gear. But in 4H, you have to feather the clutch to get going, which can wear it out. Personally, I have a manual because I think its more fun to drive all around

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Gearing and transfer case will make a lot of difference in a manual in trying to crawl an obstacle in low gear. I went auto on my last 2 jeeps because it's just one less thing to worry about when I'm trying to focus on other things. I've always got manual mode with the auto when I dont want the jeep shifting.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Auto. Two hands on the wheel going over obstacles, and I'm usually a two-footed driver on challenging trails as well.

The gearing of a manual helps, but the last thing you want is to stall out when you're off camber next to a huge drop off.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to eat a burrito and take selfies while trying to work a shifter deep in the Devil's Hottub. Auto all the way.

Sponsored

Flip888

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cbr1krr, DRZ4-sm, Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business owner.
The gearing of the manual does help, but you also have to take into account the torque multiplication ability of the torque converter. That helps make up any difference in gearing.

Reactions: J0E

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Just like in street racing automatic for the win , crawl ratio is a non-issue with a Rubicon automatic. The new 8 speed auto has a low first gear add in the Rubicon transfer case with its super low crawl ratio combine that with the control of the automatic and it’s hard to beat.
Sponsored