CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For those of you that have read through your Owners Manual, you may have noticed that Jeep allows you to configure the 12v receptacle at the rear of the Jeep to be either on/off with the ignition or "always on". This is accomplished simply by moving a fuse. Unfortunately, the 12v receptacle at the front of the Jeep is only on/off with the ignition.... until now! We think Jeep got it wrong and based on the feedback that we have, JL owners would prefer to have the front 12v port "always on". If you need to charge you cell phone, GPS unit or other accessory, it would be nice to have this port "always on". Also, those owners who plan to tow the Jeep and have an on-board aux braking system, they will want an "always on" port for the braking device.

We have a simple kit that will install in your JL in less than 5-minutes and which will convert the Front 12v port to be "always on". You will re-use the same 20A fuse - just plug it into our adapter. We use heavy 12-gauge wiring just in case you get serious about wanting to pull the full 20A ! Our circuit is done correctly - there is no connection to the ignition-only wiring and no chance for adverse backfeeding. We will have a couple of images up shortly.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/111-jl-powerport-kit.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I assume this is just going from a constant 12V source to a fuse? Is there a fuse that ONLY goes to the 12v receptacle?

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I assume this is just going from a constant 12V source to a fuse? Is there a fuse that ONLY goes to the 12v receptacle?
In the OEM config, this "port" is controlled by a single fuse - and is the only item on that fuse. With our kit, you literally re-use that same fuse - but the hot side is connected to constant power as opposed to ACC power. Hope that helps.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
F52

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Did this install today. 5 mins at most!

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have pictures of the install?

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
For the rear 12v outlet for reference:

1 — F81 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)

2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Quick story: My start/stop system stopped working and threw a fault light. Took it in for repair and the mechanic found a bad fuse in the bus bar ... plus they replaced both batteries. While the mechanic was trouble shooting, he found the Cooltech JL Power Port. He noticed the epoxy on the plug, and thought that the plug had gotten too hot and melted ... so he pulled the Power Port jumper out of the fuse box.

I went to reinstall it and couldn't find the original installation guide. So, sent off an email to Cooltech asking for a pdf of the installation. Also included a picture of the end with the epoxy ... and asked them to verify that it really is epoxy ... don't want to make a costly assumption. Kendall reaffirmed that it was epoxy and not an overheated end plug. But, he also stated that he noticed another flaw with the plug I had and said it was not up to their standards. He apologized for the problem and then promptly sent me out a replacement Power Port. Mind you that the Power Port has worked flawlessly for over a year and I was happy with it ... he wasn't, so replaced it. My hat's off to great customer service.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I had this installed and have had ZERO problems. I am in the process of addings new headlights and they use the F52 fuse for the halos. I cannot plug both of these in at the same time. Not sure how to make this work.

Accualy, after looking at this thread, I am going to try F91 to power the halos.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
For the rear 12v outlet for reference:

1 — F81 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)

2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)

This is different on my JLU. I have a 20 JLU Rubicon and my fuses are numbered:

1 — F43 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)

2 — F45 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)

According to the fuse box cover.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
This is different on my JLU. I have a 20 JLU Rubicon and my fuses are numbered:

1 — F43 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)

2 — F45 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)

According to the fuse box cover.
After I typed this I looked at myJeep and it’s the same as yours. Also, you can put a fuse in one OR the other. Not both. I ended up just wiring it to my Aux 3.
Sponsored