Major system failure + Video

Mfdidier

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So today after 5,124 miles on my JLUR I experienced a major systems malfunction while parked at the grocery store. The engine did not turn over initially, but then it started and was revving hard (can hear some faint audio in the video). Power steering went out and could not move into drive or reverse. Eventually after 8-10 tries, I was able to get it started with normal systems and drive home, but with Malfunction Indicator light on. When I got home the fan did not stop automatically, It was kind of like a more gradual slow down. I just tried it in my garage again after a few hours and it's still experiencing same issues, but this time was able to get a "normal start" after three tries.

I've read a few accounts in other threads, but included a video below. Has this happened to anyone else yet? Going to take it into the dealership tomorrow, but concerned that I could have another major failure in transit.

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
If you belong to an auto club, like AAA, have it towed in.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, she is freaking out. Thinking BCM issue.....

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
So today after 5,124 miles on my JLUR I experienced a major systems malfunction while parked at the grocery store. The engine did not turn over initially, but then it started and was revving hard (can hear some faint audio in the video). Power steering went out and could not move into drive or reverse. Eventually after 8-10 tries, I was able to get it started with normal systems and drive home, but with Malfunction Indicator light on. When I got home the fan did not stop automatically, It was kind of like a more gradual slow down. I just tried it in my garage again after a few hours and it's still experiencing same issues, but this time was able to get a "normal start" after three tries.

I've read a few accounts in other threads, but included a video below. Has this happened to anyone else yet? Going to take it into the dealership tomorrow, but concerned that I could have another major failure in transit.

This is similar to the problems I am having with mine (at 48 Miles). I have a post about it. It’s been at the dealer 1.5 days and it’s been radio silence about the problem. I’ve tried @JeepCares but no reply from them either.

BTW - you can call roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer. IMO - You really should not drive it since you have no idea when it will fail again.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
This is why I got a manual and a Sport S for the first year production of the JL. The electronic automatic transmission scared the hell out of me since there is no direct linkage, so if the computer isn't releasing the gear lever, you're SOL (the old mechanical shifters had a shift interlock and a bypass pin switch).

The central display on the dashboard is cool and all and gives way more info than the sport, but the sport has dedicated fuel and temp gauges, so even if the center screen on my Sport S went totally out, I'd still know my temp and fuel levels.

This is not to say I don't have any electrical Gremlins like you. I have a consistent HVAC problem and even showed the dealer a video where no AC or heat turns on, even though I'm turning the knobs. The back light goes out, then turns on, and the AC compressor light and the rear defroster illuminate. Nothing happens for about 1-3 minutes.

It's spotty, but annoying. The only quick fix I found, since the dealer won't do anything, is to cycle through starting and restarting it 3 or 4 times and then it works fine.

I agree, though. If this type of problem occurs to anyone, tow it in. It's not worth being stranded later on or worse, stuck in the middle of the highway with an 18 wheeler barreling behind you with no chance to stop.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

You get roadside assistance as part of warranty. Have it towed. If i were in your shoes, I’d call right now and have it towed so it’s right there when they open, tomorrow. Leave them a voicemail explaining why it’s there.

VentTekk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Stock, 2017 GCTH Stock
Occupation
Live Operations Engineer
Wow, she is freaking out. Thinking BCM issue.....
This, get it towed to the dealer "do not drive" it is not safe. It took my dealer with Jeep engineering 36 days to figure out it was the BCM. Have them look there first. Also check to make sure all fuses are seated and that none of the leads on the fuse box BUS bar are touching.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Check to make sure all of your relays and fuses are fully seated. Many have found over 50% of them click when you push in, which can cause multiple problems.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
From the looks of that I'd say your battery/alternator is toast.
Sponsored