Loose steering video

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Hey guys, so i just made a video of my pov driving, please let me know if you guys think my steering is loose/dead spot , 11-12AM position.
I have been going crazy about the steering looseness, dealer says it is normal, but when i drive besides other wranglers, they are driving with one hand and not moving their hands much, whether i am always moving my steering in order to keep it in a straight line.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Yours is better than mine.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I'll say that yours seems better than mine as well. at 60mph i'm sawing the wheel back and forth to keep it in the lane. i can also saw it back and forth and the front end doesn't move in the dead spot. Also from the video when you made the first left turn, your steering wheel came back to center normally. I have to manually "unsteer" when i go around corners as there isn't anything mechanically making my steering wheel re-center. I'm not saying your steering is perfect without driving it but it does seem to be a lot better than mine. it does seem like you have something of a dead spot.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Mine looks to be about the same amount of play in that same position.
18 JLUR with steer smarts drag link and tie rod, synergy sector shaft, and waiting on the new stabilizer to go on. After the mods, the steering felt way better and my only complaint is with a strong cross wind as it’s harder to keep under control. With a tail wind it’s almost non existent.

OP
OP
CherryWrangler

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine looks to be about the same amount of play in that same position.
18 JLUR with steer smarts drag link and tie rod, synergy sector shaft, and waiting on the new stabilizer to go on. After the mods, the steering felt way better and my only complaint is with a strong cross wind as it’s harder to keep under control. With a tail wind it’s almost non existent.
Cool. I am looking into getting after market parts such as the stabilizer and sector shaft. Just waiting on some few thing before that. I didnt take it upto 70. The free play is more aggressive at that point onwards. But you guys get the idea. Now i know i am not just thinking about it. It is really there.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like how my Porsche drives. Put passenger tires on it and see if the tire tread makes a difference (when I put Duratracs on my JK the tread would grab the saw cuts in concrete used for drainage). I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. If that is what people are complaining about for terrible steering then I don't understand the problem.

OP
OP
CherryWrangler

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your steering looks fine to me.
Looks better to me too. Might be because i tried that F34 fuse trick this morning. So that is the reason the free play is reduced may be?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Control arm drop brackets help. Mine didn’t have as much slop and play in the steering as some do. But I added the brackets and it improved. I removed them last week then drove 250 highway miles to go wheeling last weekend. I noticed a sharp difference without them.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ll be that guy... did you air your tires down a bit? This was the largest improvement for me so far.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Yours looks about like mine....I think it’s about as good as it gets... i came from a lifted JK and I think the jl steering is a bit better...

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Looks the same as mine, just a couple fingers to keep it straight. Crosswind is a different story. Stock steering, 35 psi.
Sponsored