FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to start a thread regarding vehicle taxes, dealer fees, and down payments. Since we know what invoice is on most of this stuff now....where are the best deals! (and no this isnt about Koons deal vs another vs another, strictly state for state in regards to taxes and what not)...and which state sucks the most :whatsgoingon::like:

Here in Virginia, Hampton Roads area (City of Hampton which is where I ordered).

Dealer fees: average between $399-$499
Down payment required varied from: $100 fully refundable to $2000 non refundable
Taxes: (vary by city if you count local taxes) but the average between city + state taxes is 6%
State of Virginia: yearly personal property taxes on vehicles, you get a 53% credit and its based on vehicle assessed value. So I am expecting my first year tax bill to hit for probably $1100 on my $46k Rubicon and each year it will slowly drop based on the assessed value of the Jeep (which as we know, Jeeps maintain value pretty well).

Which state has the best taxes and which states do not require a yearly personal property! :swear::swear::swear::swear: common wealth of VA my a$$
Sponsored

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
That annual property tax on vehicles in VA has always seemed crazy to me. MD has the same 6% sales tax and dealer fees are capped at 300 which most of them charge. 1000 deposit.

Last edited:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Alabama is 2% state sales tax. County and city taxes varies, but is generally 1% for each, so 4% total tax. I have seen anywhere from $349 to $499 doc fees. One dealer in state I have talked to aked for a $500 deposit. I'm close enough to the Tennessee state line that some dealers there would be as close as Birmingham. The one dealer that gave me the best price there has a doc fee of $499.

OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
In NC we have 3% auto tax, $599 doc fee, usually $500 refundable deposit. We also have the annual property tax. Not sure the rate but on my wife's $60K Tahoe it was about $850 the first year I think. Tag and License is about $150.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Wtf is vehicle personal property tax? F Virginia, move out of that state. What's next, yearly couch and chair tax?

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here in Texas sales tax on automobiles is 6.25%. Usually the Doc/processing fee charged at dealers is around $150. Title and registration comes out to be around $100 ($60-$80 for registration and about $30 for title). Never heard of a yearly property tax on vehicles.
I haven't yet started getting quotes from dealers on factory orders, so I don't know what dealers in the Houston area are charging for deposits on factory orders.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Connecticut:

Sales From Licensed Dealers - If the vehicle was purchased from a licensed dealer, the 6.35% (or 7.75% for vehicles over $50,000) sales and use tax is based on the purchase price. Full trade-in credit is allowed when computing the Connecticut Sales and Use tax, if the vehicle was purchased from a licensed dealer.

So if trading in, you just pay tax on the difference.

As for ordering one out of state (Koon’s):

Out-of-State Purchases - Credit for sales tax paid out-of-state will be granted if the registrant provides supporting documentation (purchase invoice and tax receipt) showing submission of sales tax to the appropriate state agency. If the registrant paid less than 6.35% (or 7.75% for vehicles over $50,000) sales tax in another state they will be required to pay the additional tax to DMV when the vehicle is registered.

And then there is personal property tax, which is based upon 70% of average retail value as determined by the local (town/city) assessor. In other words, town with a high mil rate pay a lot in car taxes. My 2016 Yukon XL got a $1,500 tax bill for 2017. :-(

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Missouri

Sales tax based on state, county, city. Paid about 8% last year on new vehicle purchase with no trade in.

Dealer Doc fee $199

Registration is cheap like $50.

Pay yearly personal property tax on vehicles based on market value. Again based on state, county, city tax rates but was around 8% of 1/3 of market value. So a $40k vehicle will cost you $1,000 in property tax the first year then starts to depreciate. How quickly I don't know.

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
Pennsylvania

My dealer fee- $138

Car sales tax- 6%

Lease tax- 3%

Total- 9%

Deposit- $500 refundable

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Wtf is vehicle personal property tax? F Virginia, move out of that state. What's next, yearly couch and chair tax?
Every state has property taxes on vehicles, boats, trailers. A lot of states roll the property taxes into vehicle registration.
When I lived in AL it was all in one, which made the tags “cost” a lot. When we moved to NC, the tags and registration were cheap, but then at the end of the year we received a property tax bill. Which, when added to registration made the total cost similar to what we paid in AL.
Now, NC has rolled property tax and tag into one on cars and trucks. Which made the tag cost appear to go higher.
Old way: 2 bills, paid to 2 different government agencies. New way: 1 bill, 1 agency at tag renewal.
(Ironically, property taxes on things like boats are done way different and are filed/ paid at the beginning of the year, separately from boat (and trailer - if you have one) registration.)

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Every state has property taxes on vehicles, boats, trailers. A lot of states roll the property taxes into vehicle registration.
When I lived in AL it was all in one, which made the tags “cost” a lot. When we moved to NC, the tags and registration were cheap, but then at the end of the year we received a property tax bill. Which, when added to registration made the total cost similar to what we paid in AL.
Now, NC has rolled property tax and tag into one on cars and trucks. Which made the tag cost appear to go higher.
Old way: 2 bills, paid to 2 different government agencies. New way: 1 bill, 1 agency at tag renewal.
(Ironically, property taxes on things like boats are done way different and are filed/ paid at the beginning of the year, separately from boat (and trailer - if you have one) registration.)
I took it as the OP had registration + "vehicle property tax" which really got my blood boiling. Either way $1000 property tax/registration for a Wrangler is straight rape.

OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I took it as the OP had registration + "vehicle property tax" which really got my blood boiling. Either way $1000 property tax/registration for a Wrangler is straight rape.
In Virginia we do, you pay yearly registration (or you can do 2 year registrations) but regardless of that we pay a yearly personal property tax rate of $4.33 per $100 of assessed value of the vehicle for that year. They are so incredibly generous enough to help us and give us a 53% automobile relief credit each year though....yea F Virginia and their ridiculous commonwealth, liberal :swear::swear:.....anyways....so yea a $50k Jeep costs you roughly $1,017 the first year.... $1k the second year, a little under that for year 3...$900 year 4...all guesses but its fairly accurate.
Sponsored