Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
  • Banned
Looking to put new tires on my JL Sport S Diesel and I'am mostly concerned about all the added weight that a higher load rated tire would give me since a few of the options I'm looking at for tires come in either SL or E load rating with the difference in weight being about 10 lbs between a 4 ply and 10 ply rated tire.

10 lbs per tire doesn't sound major but rotational torque being what it is that 10 lbs almost doubles the impact of increasing the tire size by getting an E load range tire over an equivilant SL load rated tire.

My question is does going with a 4 ply load rated tire over a 10 ply rated tire (assuming mfg/model is equal) really matter all that much for off road durability when the stock rubicon KO2 tires are only rated at a 6 ply load rating and they seem to be perfectly fine off road tires.

Also there is a question of how comfortable the ride is getting to and from trails and an E load rated tire just seems overkill for how light the JL is (even the diesel which only added 400 lbs) compared to a full sized truck that E's are made for.
Sponsored

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
Here is a bump as I have lots of the same questions as you and I'd love some insight. Is load range E really that bad?

I'm on 255/75/17 BFG KM's in load range C and I want to go up to 285/75/17 BFG KM3s...but they only come in "E". Will I regret it?