Sponsored

License Plate Relocation Options

cw2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wish it didn't stick out past the body on the side and am not sure why a license plate holder needs to be made of steel thicker than a steel bumper. Is the MFG thinking the license plate holder is going to act as armor?
If you put the license plate on the bumper, there isn't physically enough room between the door and side of the body to not have it stick out.

One plus to being such thick steel is if you are on the trail and catch it on a tree or something, it will be fine.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
If you put the license plate on the bumper, there isn't physically enough room between the door and side of the body to not have it stick out.

One plus to being such thick steel is if you are on the trail and catch it on a tree or something, it will be fine.
Yeah...prefer the spare mount option for wheeling around trees.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah...prefer the spare mount option for wheeling around trees.
I think I’m going to do the spare mount for this very reason. I’d rip that side mount off in some tight spot in no time. I think I’m going to relocate the brake light and plate to the center of the spare.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I am in a federal govt witness protection program. They have relocated my wife and me . ( my plates have come with me ) Unfortunately , I cant reveal the new location.
pics?

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Using motobilts relocation kit.

6A76AAA5-30F5-4199-94F1-672E89792A81.jpeg
How was the install? Does moving the camera location matter at all? How is the fit with a factory wheel? Thanks!

also, I don’t mind some branding but any reason the logo needs to be on the top or can that whole part be zipped off?

Smart_Hulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How was the install? Does moving the camera location matter at all? How is the fit with a factory wheel? Thanks!

also, I don’t mind some branding but any reason the logo needs to be on the top or can that whole part be zipped off?
The install isn't bad. Most troublesome part is cutting off the plastic housing for camera to maintain the factory tire carrier with the new license plate bracket. The camera location doesn't really matter. I can't tell a difference to be honest. This bracket is adjustable so with wider wheels or factory it will work fine. Also, the metal isn't that thick where the logo is so you could easily chop it if need be but Motobilts overall branding on any of their products is pretty subtle so that's why I went with them for all my bumpers and this relocate bracket.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Wish it didn't stick out past the body on the side and am not sure why a license plate holder needs to be made of steel thicker than a steel bumper. Is the MFG thinking the license plate holder is going to act as armor?
License plates aren’t meant to be mounted there by Jeep. There’s only so much room to make it work and still allow opening the rear door. It is the same size at the license plate. We made it that thick because as a rule we design and build things obnoxiously overbuilt. I can’t stand flimsy jeep parts so we go to the opposite extreme

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thanks Brett, I was late to the game posting pictures

IMG_2068.jpg
Looks perfect. I need to see if will at MC would like to start offering these! I personally don’t care for the spare tire mounted ones

Brett

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
I made my own using a rear plate mount for a YJ, the spring-hinged one that covers the fuel tank filler. I mounted it upside down covering the receiver. If it gets caught on something off road, it will just flip up out of the way and spring back down. (The bungee cord is holding it up so you can see the bracket). I also fabricated a simple bracket that allows me to use the original third brake light. Total cost was about $24.

IMG_2592.jpg

View attachment 299205

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
These are great. Made out of 3/16th and super beefy. Heavier gauge than all bumpers I’ve seen on the market. Use two butt connectors and it retains the factory wiring harness! Laser cut and powder coated

Brett

DB61E931-7CD6-4B22-9FD8-49DE6E0A9251.jpeg

DBF5ACDC-51BF-45FB-A0BF-7560781364C3.jpeg
Intrigued by your rear bumper. sent you a PM.

Madsal

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport 4 Door
I'm not a fan of relocating the plate to the spare. I bought the Aries relocation bracket which is for a front bull bar bumper. I was able to use it on my rear bumper with a light I bought off ebay.

I drilled three holes in the bumper. I used the two outside holes to mount. I ran the wire for the light through the center hole. I used the wiring harness from the stock bumper so I could just plug in without hard wiring.

20191008_181408.jpg

20191008_181307.jpg

20191012_131030.jpg
Can you post a picture from a bit further back?

charlie00tj

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I just ordered an LOD relocation bracket. I also have an LOD bumper on the way but i'm sure it will fit other bumpers. By the way, if you are in doubt about fit call LOD Offroad. They are very nice and will find the answer to any, and all, questions. No I don't work for them. LOL. Also, if you order through Northridge 4x4 it's cheaper and you can use "LITEBRITE" coupon code to get 10% off. No, I don't work for them either! LOL.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...1-lod-rear-license-plate-relocation-kit-black
Can you confirm this fit? I've got a Smittybilt SRC gen2 bumper I can not wait to install. Figured it would be easier to do the license plate relocation at the same time. LOD bracket looks like it came from the factory in the pics, but from a couple of reviews I've read, I"m concerned there is a difference between the 2018 and 2019-2020 mount points. Thank you1

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Can you confirm this fit? I've got a Smittybilt SRC gen2 bumper I can not wait to install. Figured it would be easier to do the license plate relocation at the same time. LOD bracket looks like it came from the factory in the pics, but from a couple of reviews I've read, I"m concerned there is a difference between the 2018 and 2019-2020 mount points. Thank you1
I actually just received the bracket and my rear bumper on Friday. I plan on installing them this week. I'll let you know how it fit when I get it installed.
Sponsored