license plate relocation idea

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
Why did they move it from the under the tailight like every wrangler had before it? Some after market companies make a bracket that place it under the tailight.
Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Why canā€™t these aftermarket companies make a damn steel bumper that has a damn spot for the license plate?

Thatā€™s the real question. Instead everyone has to develop workarounds all the time.

If FCA can do it in their steel bumpers certainly the aftermarket crowd can right?
I installed this one:
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90300.htm
Keeps the plate on the bumper

Qcumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubi, 03 Avalanche
Why canā€™t these aftermarket companies make a damn steel bumper that has a damn spot for the license plate?

Thatā€™s the real question. Instead everyone has to develop workarounds all the time.

If FCA can do it in their steel bumpers certainly the aftermarket crowd can right?
I know right! Wish I had done the research before buying our Rubicon. I would definitely buy the steel bumper option. I purposely got the plastic bumpers to use the saving to buy "premium" aftermarket for durability and clearance. I didn't expect we'd have to rig a way to legally mount the license plate. I hate the spare mounted and the side mount, well, it's easy to see why that's not a good idea. And really, we have to cut new factory wiring? Can't figure out factory adapter plugs. Really? Wow, I'm just shocked with all the options and so many complaints that the options or so slim. The block looking ICI magnum. Or use the LoD mount. That's all I've found.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I know right! Wish I had done the research before buying our Rubicon. I would definitely buy the steel bumper option. I purposely got the plastic bumpers to use the saving to buy "premium" aftermarket for durability and clearance. I didn't expect we'd have to rig a way to legally mount the license plate. I hate the spare mounted and the side mount, well, it's easy to see why that's not a good idea. And really, we have to cut new factory wiring? Can't figure out factory adapter plugs. Really? Wow, I'm just shocked with all the options and so many complaints that the options or so slim. The block looking ICI magnum. Or use the LoD mount. That's all I've found.
Yeah people say departure angles and this and that yeah ok a small spot for your plate isnā€™t going to be the pass of fail test trying to wheel Mount Everest..

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

been wondering the same thing. the only thing i can come up with is that the aftermarket companies want to sucker you in another $50 for parts, like the rear l plate bracket. oh yeah, another $30 for the l plate light too. yeah, it pretty dumb when your're paying upward of $1k on a rear bumper / tire carrier combo and short change the l plate option.

GT-Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab JL
Occupation
CAD Designer
been wondering the same thing. the only thing i can come up with is that the aftermarket companies want to sucker you in another $50 for parts, like the rear l plate bracket. oh yeah, another $30 for the l plate light too. yeah, it pretty dumb when your're paying upward of $1k on a rear bumper / tire carrier combo and short change the l plate option.
I just installed the Warn elite JL rear bumper. It includes a relocation to the area below the drivers side tail light like the JK. It re-uses the factory light but you do have to un-tape the wire harness to separate the light wires so they can be routed to the new location.

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
We put LoD's bumper with tire carrier on mine last weekend. The license plate was the simpler part when you get the little "bolt lights". They splice into the existing wiring and work pretty well. The back-up camera was more intense to re-locate onto a swing-out but works well. You get a really long patch cable in that kit to make it work.
Jeep Wrangler JL license plate relocation idea 1589129245954

Qcumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubi, 03 Avalanche
There are people who should probably just leave their Jeeps stock if they have so much heartburn generated over something so simple.
Definitely. Each to his own for their use purpose. Stock is not bad for a Jeep. But I love all the great performance aftermarket parts available. I personally don't have heartburn. I am just surprised that no one has captured that demand for better than stock, but without sacrifices. I realize those that are 100% just for performance need that extra clearance, etc. Awesome we have so many options in that category. I want a mid level performer, I travel a lot for work, but want the do all for personal as well. None the less, I get your point. I was complaining.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

I researched this as well....I have a Teraflex alpha carrier with rear brake light above camera. I didnt like the plate mounted above the bumper on driver side because it sticks out about 3" past the body to allow clearance for opening the tailgate and could easily get ripped off wheelin. I ended up drilling 2 holes in a RC plate mount to lower it a few inches just above rear brake light. It comes with a LED plate light that you splice into a tailight and doesn't block the camera while allowing use of a nice looking center brake light. Seems to check the boxes..
Jeep Wrangler JL license plate relocation idea ZEJDPhH

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
We put LoD's bumper with tire carrier on mine last weekend. The license plate was the simpler part when you get the little "bolt lights". They splice into the existing wiring and work pretty well. The back-up camera was more intense to re-locate onto a swing-out but works well. You get a really long patch cable in that kit to make it work.
1589129245954.png
I like the look...but it's begging to catch on a tree/rock if you ever wheel in tighter spots.

Buzze

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Gave that some thought, but it doesn't stick out any farther than the fender flare. So will definitely try to avoid spots that tight!

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU