flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I know this question isn't as exciting as which LED headlights to purchase or which fog lights are the coolest, but I just picked up my new 2-door Sport and it appears like the left rheostat dimmer switch isn't dimming or turning the ambient lights on/off.

Per the manual, "Rotating the left dimmer control will adjust the interior and ambient light levels (e.g. courtesy lights in the footwell and front door handles)." Since my JL is a Sport, there's no lighting in the door handles, but there are lights in the footwell. These only turn on and off when the door is opened, and the switch doesn't seem to affect anything at all. As always, dealer doesn't know anything, so just curious what you all are seeing out in the wild. Many thanks.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
In my 2020 JLUR, that does control the lighting as described in the owners manual. It is subtle, but it does brighten and dim the lighting.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
In my 2020 JLUR, that does control the lighting as described in the owners manual. It is subtle, but it does brighten and dim the lighting.
I have been trying to figure out exactly what this ambient lighting stuff is all about. I have a 2021 JLUR. Is there supposed to be ambient footwell lighting WHILE driving at night? I see my cup holders are lit, I have the 3 wire harness, but I have yet to see ANY light, ambient or otherwise during driving in the footwell even when adjusting the dimmer switch.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have been trying to figure out exactly what this ambient lighting stuff is all about. I have a 2021 JLUR. Is there supposed to be ambient footwell lighting WHILE driving at night? I see my cup holders are lit, I have the 3 wire harness, but I have yet to see ANY light, ambient or otherwise during driving in the footwell even when adjusting the dimmer switch.
Ours has ambient footwell lighting. Even at the brightest dimmer setting, it is not over powering at all, but at night I can dim it with that dial.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Jeff,

I have a 2 door 2019 Sport S and I do have the door handle lighting.

The left dimmer switch does indeed dim the door handle lights from barely visible to completely off. The glow of the Milky Way Galaxy is brighter than the door handle lights cranked to their maximum brightness level.

I see no discernable change in brightness of either the foot well or drink holder wells. This is one of the most useless functions on the JL. They could thrift away that rheostat altogether and pass that 10¢ (cent) savings to us poor JL buyers. What a windfall...

Jay

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I am not certain as to why not. Are the bulbs physically missing? Maybe it is a package ours has that yours does not. But for certain ours has footwell lighting.
I'm not sure, I'll have to look into it a little more. Ambient lighting was on my build sheet and I got all the packages, so I'm sure it's included. I've seen some posts where guys were missing the module.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I know this question isn't as exciting as which LED headlights to purchase or which fog lights are the coolest, but I just picked up my new 2-door Sport and it appears like the left rheostat dimmer switch isn't dimming or turning the ambient lights on/off.

Per the manual, "Rotating the left dimmer control will adjust the interior and ambient light levels (e.g. courtesy lights in the footwell and front door handles)." Since my JL is a Sport, there's no lighting in the door handles, but there are lights in the footwell. These only turn on and off when the door is opened, and the switch doesn't seem to affect anything at all. As always, dealer doesn't know anything, so just curious what you all are seeing out in the wild. Many thanks.
I have the same switch that does nothing at all.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
According to the manual, ambient lighting consists of "courtesy lights in the footwell and front door handles." Pretty certain I don't have lighted door handles, but would have at least thought that you could turn the footwell lighting on/off. Even my 1999 TJ and 1980 CJ-5 had that feature! Venture to say that the Willys MB and Ford GPW probably had that too...OK, maybe that's a stretch...but why is it so difficult in 2021?!?!?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
According to the manual, ambient lighting consists of "courtesy lights in the footwell and front door handles." Pretty certain I don't have lighted door handles, but would have at least thought that you could turn the footwell lighting on/off. Even my 1999 TJ and 1980 CJ-5 had that feature! Venture to say that the Willys MB and Ford GPW probably had that too...OK, maybe that's a stretch...but why is it so difficult in 2021?!?!?
Because you have a Sport.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True...but it's odd that the Sport is equipped with much more advanced equipment/systems, such as cruise control, BLD, ESC, and TCS, but doesn't have the simplest feature of all....a footwell light. I'd gladly trade the cruise control for the light!
Sponsored

Last edited: