Sponsored

LED Fogs + Auxiliary Fogs Excessive?

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the factory LED headlight package on my 2019 JLUR and have been very pleased with the brightness of the low beams/fog light combination. However, it is a Jeep and everyone is on this website because they are always interested in tweaking something for one reason or another.

Is anyone running a factory low beam/fog light/auxiliary fog light setup? I am interested in getting some amber auxiliary lights and wonder what it would be like running all three at once? (Amber is of interest given its reputation for being better in fog/rain/snow). Anyone that can comment on overlap/incremental light pattern?

I have not settled on what lights I would get, but below are two examples of what I am considering:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-3-sae-dot-yellow-sport-standard-led-pod-pair.html
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-sport-pair-wide-cornering-amber.asp

One other thing of interest is that I could essentially run my high beams and auxiliary fogs at the same time, which would be nice when way out in the sticks. (As far as I can tell, turning on the high beams flips off the factory fogs).

Interested in anyone's experiences or advice. Thanks!

EDIT: May end up running a Halogen setup instead (KC Apollo Pro, for example) to help mitigate the issue of LEDs not melting snow in winter driving conditions. I don't see any amber/yellow pod fog lights available. Would I just need to purchase replacement bulbs?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The @Baja Designs image below does a GREAT job of explaining how different lights work together. You can't go wrong with either of your choices. I'm a bit biased towards your Baja Designs option, as I've replaced my stock LED fogs with the Fog Pocket Squadron Pro's and they're extremely bright/helpful, but not DOT approved for road use. The ones you're looking appear to be DOT approved.

I didn't find that the stock LED fogs did too much, which is why I replaced them. It kept my future options open for filling a missing area of need (see chart below) and didn't require extra wiring, or a precious AUX switch spot.

Regarding your question about keeping the fogs on with the headlights on high-beam, it can be done, though you'll need something like @ZAutomotive's TazerJL product to override the programmed "fog's off" issue.

Good luck with your decision!

Lighting Zones.jpg

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL, 1963 Ford Fairlane, 2012 Honda Civic EXL
htwhl.jpg
I have the factory LED headlight package on my 2019 JLUR and have been very pleased with the brightness of the low beams/fog light combination. However, it is a Jeep and everyone is on this website because they are always interested in tweaking something for one reason or another.

Is anyone running a factory low beam/fog light/auxiliary fog light setup? I am interested in getting some amber auxiliary lights and wonder what it would be like running all three at once? (Amber is of interest given its reputation for being better in fog/rain/snow). Anyone that can comment on overlap/incremental light pattern?

I have not settled on what lights I would get, but below are two examples of what I am considering:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-3-sae-dot-yellow-sport-standard-led-pod-pair.html
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-sport-pair-wide-cornering-amber.asp

One other thing of interest is that I could essentially run my high beams and auxiliary fogs at the same time, which would be nice when way out in the sticks. (As far as I can tell, turning on the high beams flips off the factory fogs).

Interested in anyone's experiences or advice. Thanks!

EDIT: May end up running a Halogen setup instead (KC Apollo Pro, for example) to help mitigate the issue of LEDs not melting snow in winter driving conditions. I don't see any amber/yellow pod fog lights available. Would I just need to purchase replacement bulbs?
Im running 6 Apollo pro..im happy with the light it gives off on back roads at night.... View attachment 269012

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I have a couple of PIAA 570s ganged with the Co’s - reaches out another 0’ without bothering on coming traffoic
596F2E5D-CC34-4A27-BAB1-6D09061E7AB9.jpeg
97E70C40-E634-47C7-9F97-5F4CAACF2529.jpeg

Reactions: zyt

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My daily issue is my headlights are pissing people off....i'm getting the flashing high beams from on coming traffic..they all think i have my highs beams on...when they are not....

I have never adjusted them, so they are from the factory like that....they look fine to me, but maybe i'll need to re point them?

Anyone else have this issue?

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, used to. Angled my lights down a few degrees, and it's made a huge difference. Now if they flash me, they get a quick blast from full LED Brights AND 9,800 Baja Design lumens from my fog pockets. I'm only so tolerant... ;)

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I get flashed 4 or 5 times every time hour I drive. I added an LOD rear bumper and it increased from there!

I have lights on my wishlist, but they are at the bottom.

I do have Rigids in the LOD Bumper facing rear, and on a switch, (the Stock LED reverse lights are useless) and I'd like lights around the bottom as "snake lights" or whatever to see at night.

I can't justify forward lights, with as good as these LEDs are, until I'm lifted and have a winch...among other things.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My daily issue is my headlights are pissing people off....i'm getting the flashing high beams from on coming traffic..they all think i have my highs beams on...when they are not....

I have never adjusted them, so they are from the factory like that....they look fine to me, but maybe i'll need to re point them?

Anyone else have this issue?
The headlights are easy to adjust, there is a white plastic adjuster for each that a Allen key or torx can be used to turn. Clockwise is down.
The first 2 pics are the left side, the bottom pic is the right (in front of the air box opening).

F196E97E-9389-4DF8-8285-5990C1A87237.jpeg

1148A2A5-438E-436B-8A1B-E54A1C31393A.jpeg

EF4E5CE4-7B47-44EE-BA51-E76840D9A859.jpeg

Last edited:

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Excessive? I’m to the point where I’d like to run another full set of low/high headlights, but I have halogen lamps and no fogs.

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The headlights are easy to adjust, there is a white plastic adjuster for each that a Allen key or torx can be used to turn. Clockwise is down.
The first 2 pics are the left side, the bottom pic is the right (in front of the air box opening).

F196E97E-9389-4DF8-8285-5990C1A87237.jpeg

1148A2A5-438E-436B-8A1B-E54A1C31393A.jpeg

EF4E5CE4-7B47-44EE-BA51-E76840D9A859.jpeg
Thanks Eric...ya I already did adjust them...just was thinking I shouldn't have had to,..but sounds like Im not the only one who did...
Sponsored