Sponsored

Knee Speaker replacement do I need to remove entire dash?

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to upgrade the factory knee speakers in the JL. Picking up some larger 6.5 speakers and these Metra JP-1014 Jeep speaker pods. Have done all the other speakers can't fine an article someone posted mentioning a way to install without taking the entire dash apart, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I recently did this and dash removal is not necessary. You will need to flex the lower dash pretty good on the passenger side (after dropping the glovebox), and there is a screw that is tough to get to unless you have a right angle attachment for your drill to get the bit in there. Drivers side is fairly easy; the tip is to remove the metal brace that blocks the pod. I believe it's an 8mm and 10mm bolt.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I recently did this and dash removal is not necessary. You will need to flex the lower dash pretty good on the passenger side (after dropping the glovebox), and there is a screw that is tough to get to unless you have a right angle attachment for your drill to get the bit in there. Drivers side is fairly easy; the tip is to remove the metal brace that blocks the pod. I believe it's an 8mm and 10mm bolt.
For anybody less tool savvy attempting to get that screw out, if you don't want to invest in a right angle drive for your drill you can grab a mini ratchet with a Phillips bit for a few bucks and it'll work fine. Just keep pressure on it and take it slow.
Sponsored