Keep or Trade it In?

OP
OP

Hkyjeeper88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
I shopped everyone. I bought from Tyson. Go see Jason Beltran at Tyson Motors in Shorewood IL. He's no BS.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your JL? Which one did you get?
Sponsored

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
You have time, so good for you doing the research. Make the best choice for you, and get exactly what you want.

Our 2019 JLUR is our 6th jeep. My view: The JL is better than the JK in every way.

A few of my JL observations:
The 8 speed transmission is gold.
The Premium Soft top is outstanding in every way. We wouldn't consider any other top option.
With your time frame, why not get a 2020? For maybe 5% under invoice? Good deals can be had, and it will be 3 years newer than your current ride, and a year newer whenever you sell the JL.
Pay $100 for a Tread lightly membership, which gets you 1% off, and $50 Gift card for Discount Tire, and a Tshirt.
If you finance (We don't) often you can get another percent off.

Enjoy the research.

Cheers,
James

OP
OP

Hkyjeeper88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
You have time, so good for you doing the research. Make the best choice for you, and get exactly what you want.

Our 2019 JLUR is our 6th jeep. My view: The JL is better than the JK in every way.

A few of my JL observations:
The 8 speed transmission is gold.
The Premium Soft top is outstanding in every way. We wouldn't consider any other top option.
With your time frame, why not get a 2020? For maybe 5% under invoice? Good deals can be had, and it will be 3 years newer than your current ride, and a year newer whenever you sell the JL.
Pay $100 for a Tread lightly membership, which gets you 1% off, and $50 Gift card for Discount Tire, and a Tshirt.
If you finance (We don't) often you can get another percent off.

Enjoy the research.

Cheers,
James
I went and test drove the JL last weekend and I was very impressed with it. Interior is very nice. The dealership that Viper recommended is actually the place where I went as they’re highly recommended.
As much as I love the rubi, I can’t afford that lol. I drove a sport and it had everything I wanted.
Also looking to see who can obviously give me the best deal as previous dealerships have done the “click bait” tactic with me.
Kelly Blue Book said a “fair purchase price” of the JLUS with the options I want was $34,657. Dealership has it online for $41, 315

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I had a 12’ JK and recently picked up a 18’ Sahara JLU. Never driven a 4DR (suv) JEEP and it is nice. Feel is more planted, more refined (suspension) ,and although overwhelming, the interior is sharp. This go around I am less inclined to bolt aftermarket shit on it like I did the last. Love the look but don’t wheel enough to justify aftermarket bits like the JK. So, I’d say go for it!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your JL? Which one did you get?
I got a JLR 2.0T, cold, LEDs, 8.4" Alpine Infotainment, remote proximity, tow w/ aux switches, hardtop. MSRP was about $49,000. You should be able to get around 5%-7% under invoice with affiliate like Tread Lightly. Lots of companies are, check to see if your company is on the affiliate list. Get Tread Lightly if you don't have another affiliate deal because you need to be a member for 30 days or something before you can use it.

It's straight forward if it's cash deal without a trade. Obviously having a trade or financing will be a little more work. Shop your trade if you have one to local CarMax, Carvana, other dealers to get a realistic idea of actual wholesale in your area. Check your credit and know what rates you should qualify for in advanced. Shop interest rates you qualify for before going to the dealer. Credit unions usually offer lower interest rates. State Farm has financing and their rates are very competitive. Then you will have to negotiate the back end propositions from the finance manager who will close the deal. Pay attention in the finance office. They will try enticing you to buy products and services by encouraging you to roll-in the coast into your loan. That can be very expensive because you will pay interest and retail. Know the value and fair prices of what, if any, add-ons you want. Pass on things if in doubt. You can usually get the same or better add-ons for a lower price after the deal by someone else. This includes Mopar Extended Warranties.

Trust me, just call Jason at Tyson. It will be the easiest car buying experience you will experience.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hkyjeeper88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
I got a JLR 2.0T, cold, LEDs, 8.4" Alpine Infotainment, remote proximity, tow w/ aux switches, hardtop. MSRP was about $49,000. You should be able to get around 5%-7% under invoice with affiliate like Tread Lightly. Lots of companies are, check to see if your company is on the affiliate list. Get Tread Lightly if you don't have another affiliate deal because you need to be a member for 30 days or something before you can use it.

Obviously having a trade or financing will be a little more work. Shop your trade if you have one to local CarMax, Carvana, other dealers to get a realistic idea of actual wholesale. Check your credit and know what rates you should qualify for in advanced. Shop interest rates you qualify for before going to the dealer. Then you will have to negotiate the back end propositions from the finance manager who will close the deal. Pay attention in the finance office. Know the value and fair prices what, if any, add-ons you want. Pass on things if in doubt. You can usually get the same or better add-ons after the deal by someone else. This includes Extended Warranties.

Trust me, just call Jason at Tyson. It will be the easiest car buying experience you will experience.

Good Luck.
I went there last weekend and test drove a sport. Loved the way it handled. Funny you mentioned him as that’s who I did my test drive with

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went there last weekend and test drove a sport. Loved the way it handled. Funny you mentioned him as that’s who I did my test drive with
Jason is no BS. He will give you his best price and honor it. Hope everything works out for you!

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Jason is no BS. He will give you his best price and honor it. Hope everything works out for you!
I reached out to Jason at Tyson a week ago per this thread and others, for a quote on a Jeep build. I heard nothing back until Wednesday when another sales agent called me. Apparently Jason is currently out on leave and they are not sure when he will be back.

However, Larry Holcombe picked up my quote request and has been very direct and easy to work with. We are working on an order now and plan to place it tomorrow. Appears to be just as good to work with as people have reported for Jason.

OP
OP

Hkyjeeper88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
I reached out to Jason at Tyson a week ago per this thread and others, for a quote on a Jeep build. I heard nothing back until Wednesday when another sales agent called me. Apparently Jason is currently out on leave and they are not sure when he will be back.

However, Larry Holcombe picked up my quote request and has been very direct and easy to work with. We are working on an order now and plan to place it tomorrow. Appears to be just as good to work with as people have reported for Jason.
Jason was who I did my original test drive with. I found out the same information as you this past week and have been working with Brian. Seems very good and not pushy. I teach so its difficult to go in or call them back when the reach out. I called this morning to talk with Brian and was connected with Aaron who I believe is their sales manager. Said he would call me back....that was at 9:30 this morning and havent heard anything.
I'm looking at a 2019 JLU Sport. While the Rubi would be nice, the sport has everything that I need. Good luck with your order

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Jason was who I did my original test drive with. I found out the same information as you this past week and have been working with Brian. Seems very good and not pushy. I teach so its difficult to go in or call them back when the reach out. I called this morning to talk with Brian and was connected with Aaron who I believe is their sales manager. Said he would call me back....that was at 9:30 this morning and havent heard anything.
I'm looking at a 2019 JLU Sport. While the Rubi would be nice, the sport has everything that I need. Good luck with your order
I ordered my red JLU Sport yesterday with Larry. Now the fun part begins....impatiently waiting.

I had similar experiences with Larry with late day follow-ups after waiting all day. He said yesterday they have been super swamped this week, which I also heard from another dealer due to the employee pricing promotion that just started.
I have no idea if that is complete BS or not, but that’s what I heard.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hkyjeeper88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
So to give you and everyone an update: Jason no longer works at Tyson. They said he took a leave of absence and it doesnt look as if he will return. I was connected with a Brian who has been there for about 8 months. We went over numbers and said I needed to come in so they could look at my JK to see what could be done with my lease. Fine. Went in this past weekend and when I was sitting at the desk I noticed someone trying to jump start a JL on the lot. 15 minutes went by and when Brian came back I asked if they were trying to jump the Wrangler I was looking at. Sure enough it was. Did a test drive and the check engine light was on the whole time. My gut told me that this wasnt a good start. Came back in to talk things over and the price I was told over the phone went up about $40/month. Politely asked for my keys and walked out. Now looking around at different dealerships to see what they have and weighing my options to keep the JK I have

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So to give you and everyone an update: Jason no longer works at Tyson. They said he took a leave of absence and it doesnt look as if he will return. I was connected with a Brian who has been there for about 8 months. We went over numbers and said I needed to come in so they could look at my JK to see what could be done with my lease. Fine. Went in this past weekend and when I was sitting at the desk I noticed someone trying to jump start a JL on the lot. 15 minutes went by and when Brian came back I asked if they were trying to jump the Wrangler I was looking at. Sure enough it was. Did a test drive and the check engine light was on the whole time. My gut told me that this wasnt a good start. Came back in to talk things over and the price I was told over the phone went up about $40/month. Politely asked for my keys and walked out. Now looking around at different dealerships to see what they have and weighing my options to keep the JK I have
Thanks for the update. It's too bad Jason left Tyson. He was really good and moved a lot of volume. He was the #2 FCA salesman in the Nation. Hopefully he will surface at another dealer somewhere in the Chicago area.

It's not uncommon to have to jump new cars on dealer lots. Batteries drain because the cars sit too long without being started. The check engine light might have been related to the batteries.

UPDATE…Jason is a Hawk in Forrest Park now. Don't know if Hawk does the volume as Tyson?

JL CHICAGO

First Name
Jason Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler and Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Jeep Brand Manager Hawk CDJR
Jason Beltran is Back in the game im at Hawk Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Forest Park IL if anyone needs me please call my cell # 847-393-5262

JL CHICAGO

First Name
Jason Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler and Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Jeep Brand Manager Hawk CDJR
Jason Beltran is Back in the game im at Hawk Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Forest Park IL if anyone needs me please call my cell # 847-393-5262
Thank You let me know if you need anything .

OP
OP

Hkyjeeper88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
I ended up trading in the 2017 for a 2020 unlimited sport altitude. Technology, convenience, and cold weather packages. I went with a lease again for financial and personal reasons. Went to Napleton Jeep in Lansing, Illinois. I highly recommended going there for anyone that lives in the Chicago land area. My sales guy was Roberto C. and I also worked with Mo who is one the GM's there. They were able to get me out of my lease and into the new one. Absolutely love it. I just noticed though that the headliner in the back that comes with the Altitude package was starting to fall off. Looked and saw that it is pretty much held by Velcro. Is this stuff supposed to be removable? May have to go back in and have them see what they can do so it doesn't fall off.

Cheers to all and have a safe New Year!

B7CFDDCF-5292-4A51-BFBF-F6C013586395.JPG
Sponsored