First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
Automation lead
Ok so here is my dilemma, i have a 4XE on order, or i should say i'm on the waiting list to order. I'm working with a pretty big dealer that does high volume sales. They have a well known discount policy (5% under invoice) which they offer whether you trade in your jeep or not. I have a 2019 Rubicon JL, the dealer is offering me $35.5K for trade but Vroom just offered me $42,250. The dealer i'm working with offers a pretty standard discount, which is not (or shouldn't be) reliant on th trading in my car. Normally for a few hundred dollars i'd let the dealer have the jeep for the convenience but the difference is almost $7K if i go with Vroom or Carvanna which is a significant chunk of change. Has anyone had any experience selling their jeep with Carvanna or Vroom? any issues?
Sponsored

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Since the deal doesn't hinge on the JL, see if he will match it. Otherwise, take the $6750 and run!!!!

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I'm in a similar boat (ordering 4xe but carvana offering significantly above KBB value).

Did some research on Carvana, not exhaustive but plenty of positive/negative review reading and reddit browsing. From what I understand, they come to your house with the check ready and do a brief walkaround. Unless you lie about the features or the odometers are significantly different, they give you the check.

For me it's not close, but for you, trading in to your dealer saves you around 2100$ in tax if you own your jeep outright and aren't paying off a note as part of the trade in. That brings your numbers closer together. I haven't found definitive answers on how tax would work on a direct sale to carvana (ie, if you sell a car you own outright, do you have to pay taxes on the sale as either income or capital gains?)

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Sold a car to Carvana, it was a simple transaction, they picked it up, I signed some papers, check in hand. I cant comment on vroom.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Ok so here is my dilemma, i have a 4XE on order, or i should say i'm on the waiting list to order. I'm working with a pretty big dealer that does high volume sales. They have a well known discount policy (5% under invoice) which they offer whether you trade in your jeep or not. I have a 2019 Rubicon JL, the dealer is offering me $35.5K for trade but Vroom just offered me $42,250. The dealer i'm working with offers a pretty standard discount, which is not (or shouldn't be) reliant on th trading in my car. Normally for a few hundred dollars i'd let the dealer have the jeep for the convenience but the difference is almost $7K if i go with Vroom or Carvanna which is a significant chunk of change. Has anyone had any experience selling their jeep with Carvanna or Vroom? any issues?
I cant comment on either. But I sold my 2013 corolla to Carmax, they offered $1000 over kelley blue book, no dealer could match. You can always go with your offer and ask the dealer to match it. Anyway, selling the car to Carmax was as easy as selling it to the dealer. Came in, signed a few documents and I was back home in less than half an hour. Went to the Toyota dealer and purchased my Camry. Did everything the same day.

Dont ever use a trade in as part of a deal with a dealer. They know you wanna get rid of it, they know you have to. Always treat them as separate deals. First you work on a deal on the new car. Then once that's settled you say "by the way I have this other car I need to trade in".

Sponsored

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
Sold to vroom 41,870 on 2018 JLU, super easy. If you have a loan it's a bit more complex, but they pay off loan and mail you the difference. They have it listed for $46k.

I have also sold a less expensive car to carvana and even easier as they provided check when they picked up car.

Give the dealer a shot, but carvana vroom are making money on volume and loans...so they are paying a premium right now just to have units to flip

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
The Carvana offer is better that the dealership offer even with trade in tax savings you are mentioning. I took the Carvana offer I got for my Gladiator Rubicon I was selling to get my 4Xe to a couple of dealerships and the one I sold to gave me$200 more than Carvana's offer so that I wouldn't sell to Carvana. The dealership I put my 4Xe order in with would not budge on their offer so I ended up getting an extra $1,000 even with the trade in tax savings selling to a local dealership. The dealerships are having a hard time getting used cars right now. These new car selling businesses like Carvana and Vroom, etc... are making auction prices too high so used cars are at a premium right now. See if your dealership will match the offer if not take the Carvana offer and enjoy the extra equity.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Trading or selling to someone like Vroom seems easier but the market (at least in our area) is so crazy it may be worth testing the private sale waters. I got 2 trade offers on my RAM 2500 and within 3 days of listing on Craigslist / FB Marketplace I sold it for 48K (6k more than highest trade offer). Chances are if Vroom is offering you that much you can get a few thousand more via private sale.

Have you checked Carvana? I know member Goosed sold to them and it seemed (from what I know) to be a pretty smooth transaction. The only issue is that he had to return it to 'stock' so some of us got nice deals for his mods :like:

Personally, I don't know if I'd deal with Vroom after seeing this mess.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I sold my 2013 JKUR to Vroom, which gave me a higher price than Carvana. The wait for the payment check was minimal in my case; it was sent via FedEx overnight.

I wouldn't have a problem using Vroom again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
graniterubi2dr

graniterubi2dr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
Automation lead
HI Everyone, This is all great advice. For fun i filled out forms on all three websited, Vroom, Carvanna, Carmax. I filled out Vroom twice to make sure i didn't accidentally mess something up.

the difference in offer price is crazy across all 3 sites.

Vroom= $42,250
CarMax = $38,500
Carvanna = $34,862

Seems like a no brainer to just sell to Vroom, pocket the $42K and use it to pay off my new 4Xe. After the $7500 tax rebate it'll wind up costing me less than my original 19 JL Rubicon.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I just did this exercise and Vroom offered me $42k. I paid $37k a few months ago. What is the catch?

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
HI Everyone, This is all great advice. For fun i filled out forms on all three websited, Vroom, Carvanna, Carmax. I filled out Vroom twice to make sure i didn't accidentally mess something up.

the difference in offer price is crazy across all 3 sites.

Vroom= $42,250
CarMax = $38,500
Carvanna = $34,862

Seems like a no brainer to just sell to Vroom, pocket the $42K and use it to pay off my new 4Xe. After the $7500 tax rebate it'll wind up costing me less than my original 19 JL Rubicon.
Not a bad idea. How long did it take to get an estimate from Vroom? I just submitted one for my Shelby, curious to see what they come back with.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
I sold my car to Shift. Had difference of loan and Shift valuation direct deposited and funds available within 2 days

Shift was offering 5k over carmax 2k over Carvana and 1k over vroom and I got a $200 bonus for selling same day as Shift employee came to verify vehicle condition.

OP
OP
graniterubi2dr

graniterubi2dr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
Automation lead
Not a bad idea. How long did it take to get an estimate from Vroom? I just submitted one for my Shelby, curious to see what they come back with.
i filled out the form online, answered some basic questions, gave them my email and the site generated a sale price. it was really quick.
Sponsored