Sponsored

KC Flex Era 3 duel mode SAE fog lights

CheeseHead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
I have a question on the installation of these fog lights. Assuming that these with fit flawlessly, how do I wire up the duel mode feature? If this is a direct plug n play, how do I take advantage of the off road high output lights?
I do not want to drill a hole in my dash for the KC switch, I would like to take advantage of my AUX switches.I have 2 & 4 available. Also, which wire then would be compatible for the high output amperag?

thanks for all the help…..

FLEX ERA® 3 Dual Mode SAE Fog Lights - 2-Light Master Kit - Jeep JK/JL/JT Plastic Bumpers

https://www.kchilites.com/kc-flex-e...eep-sahara-jk-jt-jl-plastic-bumper-97146.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Why do you want to drill a hole of you have aux ports available?
I don't have aux switches, so my install was different, but if you write or call, their customer service is excellent and they will spell it out for you pretty well.

OP
OP
CheeseHead

CheeseHead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant to type that I do not want to drill for a new switch ….sorry bout that

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Just installed these, the long harness is set up for using a switch. You will see that long harness has no cover in the middle, with one end having spade terminals and the other with plugs. You only need the part from the middle to the plug, with the middle connecting to the aux switch and the plug end down to the fogs. Use the portion of the harness that connects to power by running it to the aux switch wires adjacent to the battery and then down to the fogs. (It’s the portion of the harness with the yellow wire and the black wire you will be using. Connect the yellow wire to the aux switch wire and black to ground) Plug the other end into the adapter harnesses. There are two adapter harnesses that are short. These plug into the existing wires for the old fogs, the KC fog lights, and the new harness from the aux switch. Also note that if you have the OEM led fogs, you will need to set the Jeep configuration for non leds for them to light properly. Your stock fog light switch will then operate the fogs and the aux will operate the spot beam.

they are great lights, I really like them.

OP
OP
CheeseHead

CheeseHead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rao…can you post some pics of how they turned out and your thoughts on these so far?

Sponsored

Comtech392

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 XJ 2 door & 2021 Sting Grey 392 XR
Occupation
Technician
Just installed these, the long harness is set up for using a switch. You will see that long harness has no cover in the middle, with one end having spade terminals and the other with plugs. You only need the part from the middle to the plug, with the middle connecting to the aux switch and the plug end down to the fogs. Use the portion of the harness that connects to power by running it to the aux switch wires adjacent to the battery and then down to the fogs. (It’s the portion of the harness with the yellow wire and the black wire you will be using. Connect the yellow wire to the aux switch wire and black to ground) Plug the other end into the adapter harnesses. There are two adapter harnesses that are short. These plug into the existing wires for the old fogs, the KC fog lights, and the new harness from the aux switch. Also note that if you have the OEM led fogs, you will need to set the Jeep configuration for non leds for them to light properly. Your stock fog light switch will then operate the fogs and the aux will operate the spot beam.

did your lights flash a few times then turn off before reprogramming to NON LED lights ? I had that issue last week trying to install. I contacted KC tech support and they are looking into it and claim should have been plug and play ? and are testing harness options

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did your lights flash a few times then turn off before reprogramming to NON LED lights ? I had that issue last week trying to install. I contacted KC tech support and they are looking into it and claim should have been plug and play ? and are testing harness options
yes, flash a few times and then went dark. Did you have the OEM LED lights? If so, just use JSCAN to change the fog light setting to non-LED lights and they will work. The KC lights have an adapter built into the harness to make them work with non-LED JL’s and I think this is what’s causing the problem. Mine have worked great since making that change.

let me know how it goes

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rao…can you post some pics of how they turned out and your thoughts on these so far?
Just saw this….they have been great, will post up a pic.

Comtech392

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 XJ 2 door & 2021 Sting Grey 392 XR
Occupation
Technician
yes, flash a few times and then went dark. Did you have the OEM LED lights? If so, just use JSCAN to change the fog light setting to non-LED lights and they will work. The KC lights have an adapter built into the harness to make them work with non-LED JL’s and I think this is what’s causing the problem. Mine have worked great since making that change.

let me know how it goes
Don’t have a tazer so Im still waiting on KC to develop a correct harness . Tech support said they will send to me one corrected…After spending 600+ we shouldn’t have to purchase another product to use a “plug and play” product but if they can’t figure it out guess I’ll have to purchase one

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t have a tazer so Im still waiting on KC to develop a correct harness . Tech support said they will send to me one corrected…After spending 600+ we shouldn’t have to purchase another product to use a “plug and play” product but if they can’t figure it out guess I’ll have to purchase one
Just an idea - Although I didn’t do this, I would guess you can modify the harness by removing the device that makes the lights work with non-LED lights.

Sponsored

Shoebox303

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JLU Rubicon 392

This is how I'm hoping to operate these lights, so I want to make sure I understand. The way you wired them, the lights work in "low" mode whenever the fog lights are active, and when you hit the AUX button, they switch to "high" mode. Is that right? No need to use the provided KC switch?

Shoebox303

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JLU Rubicon 392
Don’t have a tazer so Im still waiting on KC to develop a correct harness . Tech support said they will send to me one corrected…
Did KC ever get this corrected? I've got LED fogs and don't want to mess with the settings just to make the lights work.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is how I'm hoping to operate these lights, so I want to make sure I understand. The way you wired them, the lights work in "low" mode whenever the fog lights are active, and when you hit the AUX button, they switch to "high" mode. Is that right? No need to use the provided KC switch?
Yes.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did KC ever get this corrected? I've got LED fogs and don't want to mess with the settings just to make the lights work.
Yes they sent me a new harness that operated correctly. Their customer service is excellent btw.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

correct
Sponsored