Sponsored

Jumperless Aux Battery Bypass

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Confused.

The fused bypass, barring no other changes to factory wiring on dual battery JLs, connects the two batteries in parallel at all times. Without the fused bypass those batteries are in parallel at nearly all times but cold cranks and ESS events(?)

But once you've disconnected the ESS negative cable that is connected to the Main battery negative terminal, in other words broken the electrical connection from the ESS battery's negative post to the Main battery's negative post, you've isolated the ESS battery. I would think then that any connection to the ESS battery's positive terminal only (a.k.a. the fused jumper connected to N1) would serve no purpose.
Aux negative is disconnected . Fused bypass jumper in use .. Aux battery is bypassed.
Sponsored

Tagoren06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR & 18' JLU
@Tagoren06

Wonder if your High Amp Fuse Array has a blown N3.... possibly blown when you did your battery swap.

I am curious about this as well, would be nice to know if it is this simple. I tried looking for other fuses that were blown maybe I just did not see this N3 fuse then. Yea I wish I could explain it, as I have read all the forums to try and fix this myself and got those results. might sound like I may not have the TSB as well, something I will have to have them take a look at.

Thank You

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Aux negative is disconnected . Fused bypass jumper in use .. Aux battery is bypassed.
Oh, I think I got it now! I was getting bogged down on the neg cable coming off Aux floating in space....🥵

Bottom line, dual battery JL calls for electrical current on N1, which doesn't get it from Aux battery now because Aux battery is isolated, but, thanks to jumper, get its electrical current from N2, a.k.a. main battery, whose circuit is completed via main battery's negative post connection to body ground.

Thanks!!!

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
just this week I replaced the main battery and did the aux negative disconnect/F42 pull. Every time I start it, I get the Start/Stop unavailable message. This has gone on for multiple start cycles and 300 miles of driving…any ideas?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
just this week I replaced the main battery and did the aux negative disconnect/F42 pull. Every time I start it, I get the Start/Stop unavailable message. This has gone on for multiple start cycles and 300 miles of driving…any ideas?
There are several reasons for the Start/Stop unavailable message, is there more information available on the Start/Stop screen?

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Everything on the fuse block checks out…just hooked everything back up as stock and unfortunately going to have no choice but get a aux battery to turn this stupid light off. God I miss old cars lol

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Everything on the fuse block checks out…just hooked everything back up as stock and unfortunately going to have no choice but get a aux battery to turn this stupid light off. God I miss old cars lol
What year was your Jeep again? I had no issues with this on my 2020 Gladiator but haven't gone down the road yet on my 2021 Wrangler. I did notice the battery negative wiring is different on a 21 to a 20 slightly.

Sponsored

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
What year was your Jeep again? I had no issues with this on my 2020 Gladiator but haven't gone down the road yet on my 2021 Wrangler. I did notice the battery negative wiring is different on a 21 to a 20 slightly.
It’s a 2018 Unlimited Sport 3.6.

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
That's right. And you said the upgrade was completed correct.
Sorry it didn't work. This damn second battery is just something we shouldn't have to be messing with.
I’m not sure if the TSB was done, but from what I’ve read, if it wasn’t, once I pulled the aux ground and F42, I’d have no power, correct?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Don't conflate the Stop/Start unavailable message with an actual detected failure with the ESS system. The Stop/Start unavailable message can mean the the battery sensor is reporting that the main battery is not sufficiently charged or an external factor is not conducive a Stop/Start event at this time.

If an actual failure related to the Stop/Start system is detected or there is an engine issue that would prohibit a Stop/Start event, the Stop/Start error light is turned on and the Stop/Start system is disabled.

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Don't conflate the Stop/Start unavailable message with an actual detected failure with the ESS system. The Stop/Start unavailable message can mean the the battery sensor is reporting that the main battery is not sufficiently charged or an external factor is not conducive a Stop/Start event at this time.

If an actual failure related to the Stop/Start system is detected or there is an engine issue that would prohibit a Stop/Start event, the Stop/Start error light is turned on and the Stop/Start system is disabled.
I put it back to stock and it is back to normal. Had to replace the main battery and didn’t want to spend $125 on an aux battery for the start stop we don’t use, but is what it is. No errors for now…hopefully the aux is healthy enough that it doesn’t drain down the new battery until I get a new aux this week. I’d just deal with the light and not care, but it bothers the old lady lol.
Sponsored