Sponsored

JLUR - First Impressions

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Just so you know where I am coming from...

I drove a firecracker red 2001 TJ that I was building from 2015 to 2019 when I decided I "needed" the new JLUR. 4.0 liter inline 6 with 5 speed manual on 4.88 gears (30 front and 44 rear). 3.5" Metalcloak full lift - springs, shocks, arms. 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 17" wheels. This is the vehicle that made me love Jeeps. I wish I could have kept her.

My wife has a yellow 2011 JK with the hated 3.8 liter engine and automatic transmission that I find under-powered on the best of days, but she loves it, and it is fun to drive.

Ordered my JLUR on 4/30 and picked it up on 6/21 (got stuck in the three week shutdown, but that may be a blessing in disguise). I'm about 150 miles into the JLUR ownership and these are my thoughts so far.

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon in Mojito! The only options ordered were the three piece black hard top and automatic transmission.

Color: I went with Mojito! and I have no regrets. I was torn between Ocean Blue, the red, and Mojito! when trying to decide what to order. I was told by the boss that the HellaYella was out of the question as she drives the yellow Jeep in the family. I saw the green in person before I ordered, and I just loved it. I love it even more after 24 hours of ownership.

Power and feel: Are you sure there is not a V8 in this thing? Night and day difference between wife's JK and the JLUR. Drove home from Denton this morning against a 20mph south wind and held 75mph with no constant changing of gears. The tires are still over-inflated at 42psi (I have forgotten to let some air out...), so there is a little walking around, but I do not feel that the steering in the JLUR is any more loose than either the TJ or JK. Maybe I got lucky there? Every feature of the JLUR feels "tight" in a very good way. Like the three weeks of re-calibration at the plant built a tighter Jeep. Feels like a quality build. Coming from the Nitto tires which are hands down the best tires I've driven on in my 36 years of driving, I am pleasantly surprised with the KO2s. So far they are quiet and grippy.

What would I do differently putting the JLUR together knowing then what I know now? The only additional option I would have ordered is the LED package. These halogen lights really do suck. That is a glaring shortcoming with stock, but they are hoping you'll pony up the grand for LED. I am already planning my conversion.

Planned mods/upgrades: LEDs. LOD Destroyer slider steps should be here next week. I need to add a hitch so I can carry our bikes in the rack we already have. JTops Titanium shade. I'll put Nittos on her either when the KO2s are worn out or I just can't stand them any longer. For my purposes, I'll never need bigger than 35s, so I don't ever see then need of lifting.

My tune may change in the future, but right now I feel like I bought a quality vehicle at a really good price. It is fun to look at and even more fun to drive. Can't wait til my grandsons are old enough to enjoy "going naked" with me in it.

20190621_164600.jpg
Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Congratulations and you got the right colour too!

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Thanks for the initial impressions. I have a Hellayella Rubicon on order and did get the LED option after reading similar input on the stock halogen lights. The good thing is that there are a bunch of options for an aftermarket upgrade to LEDs. Mojito is a great color and I was deciding between Red, Mojito, and Hellayella and since this is our first Jeep I didn't have the same restrictions as you regarding color.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Congrats. Yep, the stock LED upgrade package option is a must. I cancelled my build order after a few weeks since I decided that I should’ve gotten the upgrade in the first place. I’m glad I did. It was a must. It would’ve cost me almost as much, plus my own labor time, plus not being factory warranty.

JustAJeepn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Nice write up. I am loving my JLUR thus far as well. I also plan on adding the LOD destroyer slider here soon.
Sponsored