First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Interesting, I didn't realize the CoolTech harness was having these issues. I sure hope we can come up with a solution to this issue.
It's not a Cooltech issue. Others have reported the same issue with varying wire harness configurations. It's a Jeep issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jgam

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. 2016 BMW 535D. 2015 BMW K16GTLE. 2010 BMW K13GT. 2008 DYNAMAX GRAND SPORT ULTRA. 2006 KTM 625 SMC.
It's not a Cooltech issue. Others have reported the same issue with varying wire harness configurations. It's a Jeep ussue.
Yes, I get that . However, I was under the impression that the CoolTech harness completely disconnected from the Jeep when in tow mode. I have a Roadmaster harness I know what causes the Jeep computer to wake up with that harness , I just don't know how to stop that from happening. Does anyone know if the CoolTech harness disconnects all of the wires going to the tail\brake lights? If so then it's nothing to do with that CT harness and I most definitely have more that one problem. I'm going to jack up my JL this weekend and wait for the computer to put the system in sleep mode (the broom stick test) then spin the wheels to simulate being towed. Maybe the wheel sensors are causing the problems. Just my .02

Jgam

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. 2016 BMW 535D. 2015 BMW K16GTLE. 2010 BMW K13GT. 2008 DYNAMAX GRAND SPORT ULTRA. 2006 KTM 625 SMC.
My update , as the tire turns: Just got word back from my installer. They have been talking with Roadmaster and are working towards a solution together. I hope to hear more by the end of the week .

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My update , as the tire turns: Just got word back from my installer. They have been talking with Roadmaster and are working towards a solution together. I hope to hear more by the end of the week .
I'll be very interested in hearing what they come up with.

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
OK, I had this same issue. It is not that the harness wakes it up, the Darned Jeep doesn't stay asleep. I added an RVI Charger, issue solved. That said, the JL Still has issues with the Start-Stop and the Stability system. The lights come one, but reset when you restart.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
OK, I had this same issue. It is not that the harness wakes it up, the Darned Jeep doesn't stay asleep. I added an RVI Charger, issue solved. That said, the JL Still has issues with the Start-Stop and the Stability system. The lights come one, but reset when you restart.
I have an RVI toad charger. It was still DOA after two days and about 750 miles.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I have a Hopkins BrakeBuddy towed vehicle battery maintainer along with a CoolTech light harness on my '21 JL Sport - I have left it connected to the motorhome for two days (including overnight) with no Jeep battery problem. I have been careful to turn the Jeep "Off" before towing (the manual procedure leaves the Jeep in "ACC"). FYI-if you use the CoolTech harness, follow the steps as if you have the tow group whether you do or not - the wiring is there for it in any case-my experience.

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I have an RVI toad charger. It was still DOA after two days and about 750 miles.
I would verify the connections. We've Not had an issue, but it is easy to reverse connections. make sure the lights are showing that it is working.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
All... please trust that we understand how frustrating this problem may be and we are sincerely VERY interested to help diagnose and solve the problem.

Typically when towing a Jeep an owner will install a wiring kit and some type of aux brake controller. Early-on in this thread I speculated that the cause of the "battery drain" was likely due to the fact that the Wrangler was not staying in its 'sleep-mode". The more info that is documented in this thread tends to reinforce that we were correct in this speculation. So, instead of trying to find some random current draw somewhere, what we need to find is what is causing the Jeep to wake up and not go back to sleep. (The not going back to sleep is still a little confusing for me. I would think that some day soon we will find what is waking up the Jeep but it is still a bit of a conundrum as to why it will not go back to sleep.)

OK, so I think we are largely correct that the Jeep is coming out of - and presumably staying out of sleep-state.

I have a couple of theories as to why that is happening:

1. Undesired feedback through the "fault sense" wire going to the LED lights, and/or;
2. Undesired feedback through the "blind spot indicator" BLIS system.

Can we get a very quick poll going to see if we can hone in on the problem? If you currently are towing a Wrangler or Gladiator, can you please provide the following information?

1. What type of Light Wiring Harness do you have?
2. What type of Aux Brake Controller do you have?
3. Does your Jeep have the LED Light option?
4. Does your Jeep have BLIS option?
5. Do you have the battery drain issue?

If we can get the answers to these questions from a few of you, it would be VERY helpful in trying to get to the bottom of this problem. THANKS!

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
CoolTech
Demo AF1
Yes
. Yes
Yes

If we can get the answers to these questions from a few of you, it would be VERY helpful in trying to get to the bottom of this problem. THANKS!

Sponsored

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Blue OX Diode harness for lights. I have the LED Package in my Sahara.
Air Force One, They say it has NO draw as it is air operated directly proportional to the RV
Yes, I have LEDS.
No idea. What is this?

Not since I added an RVi Toad Charger.

[/QUOTE]

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Jim - Thank you for supplying the information.

BLIS = Blind Spot Indicator System. Typically a yellow icon on your outside mirror to indicate when someone is beside you. If the BLIS is illuminated (some beside you) and you turn on your turn indicator in that direction - the indicator will flash and/or you will get a sound.

Your Demco AF1 has a brake pedal indicator light. Often this light is installed on the back side of the rear view mirror. The *current* instructions ask for this power wire to go through the firewall and get power coming in from the tow vehicle. Is this how yours is wired? I ask, because historically this AF1 indicator light was powered by one of the brake pedal wires and some installers may be in the habit of doing it this (now incorrect) way.

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
OK, thank you. I do NOT have the Blind Spot Indictor. The Indicator light might be powered off the Jeep, but we are talking an LED that is not on except when I depress the brakes, not much draw there.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
OK, thank you. I do NOT have the Blind Spot Indictor. The Indicator light might be powered off the Jeep, but we are talking an LED that is not on except when I depress the brakes, not much draw there.
The context of the BLIS question is not at all about the current draw of the light. It is about the circuitry between the light and the ECU/BCM (Body Control Module) that, if backfed, could cause the Jeep to come out of Sleep mode. :)

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
OK, So if I don't have it and I still have the issue, would that potentially indicate that the BLIS system is not the culprit?
Sponsored