JLU SoftTop

RobinS

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I am a BRAND new Jeep owner! Literally picked up my JLU yesterday. I am looking for a soft top for the summers. I think I want a frameless style, since I will be swapping it out with the hard top once winter hits. I need advice from the experts...please let me know what you think about:
1) frameless vs framed
2) brands
3) styles
4) fabric

Thank you soooo much!
R
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I am a BRAND new Jeep owner! Literally picked up my JLU yesterday. I am looking for a soft top for the summers. I think I want a frameless style, since I will be swapping it out with the hard top once winter hits. I need advice from the experts...please let me know what you think about:
1) frameless vs framed
2) brands
3) styles
4) fabric

Thank you soooo much!
R
Brand wise, Best Top. They make the OEM tops. I've had Best Tops on my 04 TJ and now on my 19 JL. Excellent quality. I've always had the regular fabric, never twill. Just personal preference. Also, check out the member market place here to see if anyone is selling their soft top. Good luck:like:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I don't know that there's a frameless one on the market for JLU. Storage isn't a big deal even with the frame - I have the factory one and when it's fully collapsed it's easy enough to move around and store, although takes a little space.

Like @GreyFox said, BestTop is obviously good too since it's the same manufacturer.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Right now you don’t have many options yet. The oem style from your dealer, which is actually made by Bestop, and the fastback style which is on pre order from Bestop. I’m sure other mfgs and styles will come along, but right now I think that’s it.

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I am placing my order for my new JL and want a soft top, had the hardtop on my JK, and took the top off regularly. really enjoyed my JtopUSA screen mesh top because it fully covered all opening and no flapping at all. It doesn't use the bungee system of the alien tops that have gaps. But when you put the hardtop back on you have to fold the thing halfway back, wondering with a soft top, how you use shade and store it while the top is locked down. I saw other posts that the bungee style can be adjusted to work very easily, has anyone had luck with the higher end sunshades like jtopusa?

Taurian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide
IS offroadheroes still in bussiness? Seems like there website is down and I can not find anything social media on them.
Tim is a one-man shop. I spoke to him last month, he is working mainly on 2 door tops. Told him the market is the 4 door JL, and to start those machines back up!

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
1) frameless vs framed
2) brands
3) styles
4) fabric

Thank you soooo much!
R
1) It seems a prior poster already hit upon the idea to not equate framed top with "taking up a lot of winter storage."
2) Bestop, Mytop https://mytop.us/products/models-jl (If you'd like a power soft top, not to be confused with the FCA Skytop) , the FCA Skytop, other manufacturers, hardly exhaustive: https://www.meteoronbroadway.com/best-jeep-soft-top/
3) Fastback, less cargo area space because it angles down. Bestop Sunrider replacement just for hardtop Freedom panels (mentioned above). Cheaper, great if you only need to open the front seats to the sky, easier to install.
4) Vinyl vs. Canvas. I love my Canvas top--I'm a dual top owner. Vinyl will keep you dry to.

How much $ do you have to spend? What other accessories are you willing to do without if you spend more on your top.

Since you live in Rochester, no way can you take your top off like you might be able to some months in California. Summer has its thunderstorms in your locale....so bikini and Sunrider style tops (no windows) likely aren't good.

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
The slant back best top does not full fold down for the jl. It only folds back and you can remove the sides.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
If you have a JLU the

Factory top drops all the way back pretty easily opening up the whole jeep.
The windows attach through a channel.
The sunrider opens up past the passengers.
Very quiet and durable if you get the premium.
Squared back look
paid $2100 new shipped

Bestop

Has the sunrider option but does not open as far back as the factory top so the passengers will be covered
Fastback look which looks nicer but you lose some cargo area
Does not open all the way up. You would need to remove the whole top
Sunrider has cargo pockets built in
Windows attach with channels and zippers
Premium should be as quiet as the factory premium.
some complaints about the rear bar sealing improperly.
$1200 new i beleive

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Look on for sale section for a non premium OEM soft top, you can pick one up fairly cheap, or get a Bestop.

I am more than happy with my OEM soft top just hit my 1 yr, so 2 summers and a winter with it so far and I see no signs of drying, cracking or tearing, and mine is on year round.

Premium OEM is a twill fabric, little thicker, time will tell if they last longer than the non premium version.
Sponsored