LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4 door JL 2019
Whats up guys,

Ive been living on the road now for about 100 days in my Jeep and collected a bunch of extra crap on the way. Now I need to add some extra storage because its taking up too much space inside & I could really use some help figuring out a solution.

I currently have an IKapmer mini on top of a Gobi rack leaving me a decent amount of extra space to work with on the roof. For the storage solution, i'm thinking something like hard shell waterproof case/s .... that are pre-made for tie-downs... aerodynamic and sleek would be nice too.

I also would like to leave a little bit of standing room since Im a photography and like to get on the rooftop often to shoot from that vantage point. When I designed and positioned everything on the roof, I did so in a way that left me about 15 inches to stand in the back and also gave me the ability to remove the freedom panels in the front. At this point I don't care about removing the freedom panels and could use up all that space. Or I can even shift the IKamper forward towards the front if I need to.

Please have a look at the photos attached and let me know what you think.... and if you have any recommendations/suggestions. Appreciate the help!

Thank you,
-Lawrence L
Instagram - @OverlandingPhotography

_R4_8416.JPG

Jeep Rubicon Roof View.jpg

Jeep Rubicon Roof View-3.jpg

Jeep Rubicon Roof View-2.jpg
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
What kind of gear are you looking to store? If it's small stowables, you can't go wrong with large military ammo cans. I carry a couple of 40mm grenade cans (one for my non-perishable food, one for my dogs dry food) that currently go inside the back of the Jeep but will end up on the roof when I eventually break over to the expensive side of car camping and get a rack. You can find these ammo cans still at military surplus stores (still around in the PNW though they are getting more scarce) or on Craigslist occasionally. These probably aren't a "right now" option though, unless you found some online to order.

A similar storage bin option is something like the Rubbermaid Action Packers. These can be found in a few different sizes at most REI's and online through the usual channels. While they aren't fully waterproof, you can waterproof your gear inside them and they are lockable which is nice (also made in the USA).

https://www.rei.com/product/634288/rubbermaid-action-packer-24-gallon

Or, if you have larger items that won't fit in canisters, you can always go with one of those big waterproof cargo bags.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D9C2CDO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

wangdiddy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Whats up guys,

Ive been living on the road now for about 100 days in my Jeep and collected a bunch of extra crap on the way. Now I need to add some extra storage because its taking up too much space inside & I could really use some help figuring out a solution.

I currently have an IKapmer mini on top of a Gobi rack leaving me a decent amount of extra space to work with on the roof. For the storage solution, i'm thinking something like hard shell waterproof case/s .... that are pre-made for tie-downs... aerodynamic and sleek would be nice too.

I also would like to leave a little bit of standing room since Im a photography and like to get on the rooftop often to shoot from that vantage point. When I designed and positioned everything on the roof, I did so in a way that left me about 15 inches to stand in the back and also gave me the ability to remove the freedom panels in the front. At this point I don't care about removing the freedom panels and could use up all that space. Or I can even shift the IKamper forward towards the front if I need to.

Please have a look at the photos attached and let me know what you think.... and if you have any recommendations/suggestions. Appreciate the help!

Thank you,
-Lawrence L
Instagram - @OverlandingPhotography

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rooftop Storage Solution for a Full-Time Overlander Jeep Rubicon Roof View-2

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rooftop Storage Solution for a Full-Time Overlander Jeep Rubicon Roof View-2

Did the brackets the tent came with work with this roof rack? did you use the 2.0 or 1.0 brackets?