Gobi Stealth Rack for JLU Now Available

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
$1800 for half a roof rack...??? really??
And that is just base price, not including the options.

It's spendy, but you get what you pay for in my opinion. When I bought mine back in 2012 I was well over $2k. Sure I could have spent less on other brands but in the end opted for the Gobi because it was just better.

When installed properly the rack is rock solid. You can stand on it, climb around on it fully loaded without worry that your foot will slip between the bars of the rack (they use a heavy duty steel mesh floor). Hell I've even stood on it jumping up and down rocking side to side with no flexing of the rack at all.

165978_481613355187030_1613455800_n.jpg
Sponsored

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler UL Rubicon, 2015 Indian Scout, 2015 Challenger Shaker, 1979 Triumph TR8
It looks very good by my safari days are pretty much behind me, more of a weekend camper now

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
I'm really torn on a rack overall. The benefits are (1) more storage (2) lighting mount points (mainly for rear lighting) (3) and the option for a RTT system. The negatives are (1) clearance issues with garages especially given the lift and tires already on the JLUR (2) added weight (3) practically of a RTT with a family (4) limitations with top and windshield removal.

The RTT seems like a great idea for a 1 person outing or even 2 if both parties have similar goals for the trip. My concern is that with my family is that if I wake up early I'm stuck until they wake up. Also if I'm wheeling I've taken the tent option away.

I'm curious to hear other's experiences with a rack and even more so on RTT with a family.

PL3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
As a former Gobi Rack owner I can attest that they are a high quality product. Expensive no doubt, but worth every penny only IF you plan to use for what it’s designed for and not something to try and look like a cool kid. Truth be told, I would only recommend the rack for people who have a regular, direct need for something like this. The reason I that is this, going with with a fix rack like Gobi is a compromise to some of the functionality of the Jeep. To clarify what I mean, things like the ease of folding down the windshield appears to be taken away. Speaking from personal experience, removing the freedom panels is a bit of a chore. Removing the hard top is a definite pain in the butt since you have to lift the rack, slide the freedom panel out, then lower the rack back into place. You have to remove the ladder(s) and very delicately slide it out the back the Jeep or, you have to remove the Gobi from the Jeep to remove the top. Soft top operation is a little more work though not too bad. If you didn’t spring the extra money for the quick release set up (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) then you have to unbolt it from the light bar, secure the dog leash they provide (yes, I seriously mean a flipping dog leash) to the light bar and the rack then flip the rack back (this is where having side steps makes life easy peasy), now you can lower the soft top. When I was rocking a Gobi on my JK I think I had it pegged as taking me an extra couple of minutes each for raising and lowering the soft top.

Having said all that, I don’t want anyone to misinterpret what I said as bashing Gobi, as it wasn’t intended that way. I tend to be very blunt and honest an don’t sugar coat things.

968889_688410504507313_425378230_n.jpg
I'll be one of those trying to look like the "cool Kid" no matter what it's designed for, together with my lift, 37's, high-jack, shovels, axes and other cool sh!t, despite what all-knowing people like you say. I may be cruising the Nordstrom parking lot at times, but I assure you you won't get away from me on ANY trails.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I'll be one of those trying to look like the "cool Kid" no matter what it's designed for, together with my lift, 37's, high-jack, shovels, axes and other cool sh!t, despite what all-knowing people like you say. I may be cruising the Nordstrom parking lot at times, but I assure you you won't get away from me on ANY trails.
Do you normally get offended by what others say in the interwebs? If so, it may be time to put your big girl panties and suck it up 'cuz the interwebs is full of people who say things you may not agree with.

With all this talk about big plans and trying to look cool, brother, you just want to skip the 37's since those are so yesterday and go straight to 40's since that's where all the action's at. Do that and you'll be sure to be king $hit on your block!
Sponsored