JLU Phone Mount

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I like the slot between the cup holders for a phone. I’m still looking for a place to mount my phone. Has anyone found anything that works with the JLU with 8 inch screen?
Sponsored

RhinestoneRubi

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I modified the ebay Qi charger by very much shortening the flex link.
IMG_2277.jpg

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I just rest my 7 plus on edge, between the transfer case shifter and the shifter.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
With CarPlay I don’t even want/need to mount my phone anywhere in sight like on the dash. I’m trying to find a slot type holder than I can just slide it in and have it connect to the lightning cable in order to connect to the head unit enabling CarPlay. Right now I put in the slot between the cup holders and then plug in the cable. Not as convenient as I would like, so still looking for options.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
With CarPlay I don’t even want/need to mount my phone anywhere in sight like on the dash. I’m trying to find a slot type holder than I can just slide it in and have it connect to the lightning cable in order to connect to the head unit enabling CarPlay. Right now I put in the slot between the cup holders and then plug in the cable. Not as convenient as I would like, so still looking for options.
Does the UConnect have Bluetooth or do you have to physically plug it in to use Apple/Google?

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Does the UConnect have Bluetooth or do you have to physically plug it in to use Apple/Google?
UConnect does basic bluetooth functions but if you want Apple CarPlay or Android Connect the phone needs to be plugged in.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Yes, there is Bluetooth like Skye mentions but it doesn’t support the CP or AA...you have to plug it in to get those to work. I am pretty impressed on what info the blue tooth displays for calls and info from the phone. However the CarPlay and I assume Android Auto are far superior in functionality and sound quality over the Bluetooth.

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
Yes, there is Bluetooth like Skye mentions but it doesn’t support the CP or AA...you have to plug it in to get those to work. I am pretty impressed on what info the blue tooth displays for calls and info from the phone. However the CarPlay and I assume Android Auto are far superior in functionality and sound quality over the Bluetooth.
UConnect does basic bluetooth functions but if you want Apple CarPlay or Android Connect the phone needs to be plugged in.
So with what you both said and if you solely use CP or AA do you even have your phone connected via Bluetooth? Like can Bluetooth and CP or AA be connected simultaneously?

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Can’t be use simultaneously, but I have them both set up. The Bluetooth connection is surprisingly fast. By the time I start my Jeep and pull out of my driveway the Bluetooth has connected. Then when I plug my phone in to the cable CarPlay takes over.

I like using both because sometimes I’m just lazy and don’t plug it in. That’s why I’m looking for some type of holder than when I place my phone in it automatically plugs in to the cable. Right now I put my phone in the cup holder slot, but would like to mount it somehwere out of sight.

I know Apple is working on a wireless CarPlay connection. Hopefully this will be out soon, but I will tell you by having the connection the audio/mic quality is amazing.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Yes, forget the mindset of mounting your phone and use CarPlay or Android Auto. Beside the transfer case shifter is the best spot I can find. The boot leather keeps it from sliding around.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

spblat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Yes, forget the mindset of mounting your phone and use CarPlay or Android Auto. Beside the transfer case shifter is the best spot I can find. The boot leather keeps it from sliding around.
CarPlay doesn’t help on the trail, where it’s handy to have an app like Gaia GPS open. Plus lots of us still prefer Google Maps or Waze to Apple’s maps. When Proclip has a mount I’ll get one of those.
Sponsored