OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
So, some updates. I've been letting the speakers break in and tuning on it. Yesterday I dialed the gains up a bit to see what it could do, and I'm blown away. It's gets so loud, and retains complete clarity. I also love the subs, however sometimes I do not. I believe it is the fact that they are ported. I'm messing around with a couple of sealed boxes for 4 of them, but I also ordered a JL 10TW3 to play with. We will see which setup I end up liking the best.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
So I decided to mess around with something a little different, 2 JL10TW3s mounted to the tailgate. 1.2 cubes ported to 35hz. Here's what I have done on the box so far.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_212954

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_213528

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_213649

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_215222

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_224518

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_230549

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210226_233035

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Looking good. Interested in seeing the box mounted to the tailgate and how it sounds. I’ve got a single JL 10tw3 in a small sealed box in the back. It takes up very little room. It’s temporary till it gets warmer and I have time to fiberglass boxes into the sides for 2 JL 10tw3.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Looking good. Interested in seeing the box mounted to the tailgate and how it sounds. I’ve got a single JL 10tw3 in a small sealed box in the back. It takes up very little room. It’s temporary till it gets warmer and I have time to fiberglass boxes into the sides for 2 JL 10tw3.
Thanks man, I'm just as interested as you lol. Second sub will be here tomorrow.

ronrodriguez114

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
This is insane and I love every minute of it. I have an Infinity BassLink SM 2 mounted under the driver's seat. Inside the open cab it definitely makes an impact. What you have here is something special.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
This is insane and I love every minute of it. I have an Infinity BassLink SM 2 mounted under the driver's seat. Inside the open cab it definitely makes an impact. What you have here is something special.
Thanks man I appreciate that. I'm really having a ton of fun trying different setups and just pushing the system. These morel ultras can really take some power, I'm impressed.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Another idea is building a box under the rear seats for the two JL10w3’s. There’s enough room for a sealed but not sure how much more room a ported box would need.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
That was my original idea, but I didn't do it for 2 reasons. The box would be complex, you would want to down fire these subs ideally in that location and you need around 2 inches of space in front of the cone. Getting .5 cubes per would be a struggle. And 2, my current custom under seat boxes I built in this thread, I found that I would rather sacrifice a few inches of space in the back to be able to lay the rear seats flat. I'm consistently getting like 2x4 mdf sheets and hauling them in the jeep. It's a struggle to fit them when the seats won't lay back.

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
Love the ingenuity of this build.
I’ll be doing a build soon in our JLU.
Going with morel nano carbon 3ways for the front.
And Nano carbon 6.5” coaxials in the soundbar.
I have a great idea for the sub enclosure but I’ll wait till it’s executed until I post.
It looks awesome tho bro!! You got your building skills on point!

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Love the ingenuity of this build.
I’ll be doing a build soon in our JLU.
Going with morel nano carbon 3ways for the front.
And Nano carbon 6.5” coaxials in the soundbar.
I have a great idea for the sub enclosure but I’ll wait till it’s executed until I post.
It looks awesome tho bro!! You got your building skills on point!
Thanks man I appreciate that. Looking forward to seeing your build, not too many people do full builds in their jeeps.

Sponsored

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
Thanks man I appreciate that. Looking forward to seeing your build, not too many people do full builds in their jeeps.
Completely understandable being that Jeep builds are primarily focused on wheeling and drivetrain upgrades.
But this isn’t a FULL BLOWN trail vehicle, I’m trying to be completely stealth, with a ton of sound, and a fairly capable rig.
I’ll be posting my whole process when I have the balls to dig in,in between customer rides

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Completely understandable being that Jeep builds are primarily focused on wheeling and drivetrain upgrades.
But this isn’t a FULL BLOWN trail vehicle, I’m trying to be completely stealth, with a ton of sound, and a fairly capable rig.
I’ll be posting my whole process when I have the balls to dig in,in between customer rides
Well, nobody says you can't do both. The jeeps a chubby bastard as is, a little extra weight from audio gear isn't going to hurt anything. As long as you do it right you won't have to worry too much about water damage either, though I don't really plan on a lot of top off rain cruises personally. I'm doing both. New fenders and inners, headlights, tazer, winch and steel front bumper will go on Wednesday. Steel rear bumper some skid plates and a lift will happen in the next month or so, and new wheels and 35 (maybe 37 lol) tires once I wear the stock ones out. I may do spacers and tires since I really like the factory moab wheels, but I'm not really a fan of spacers.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve got a question regarding your build. I like what you’ve got so far and kudos for your ingenuity and willingness to share with us. Keep in mind that I consider myself an complete mobil audio novice.

Since you’re using 6.5” woofers, could they be mounted in the sound bar rather than under the rear seats? Could amps and processor be mounted in the tailgate? I ask because I like what you’ve got but I don’t think I want to lose ability to fold the rear seats flat.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I’ve got a question regarding your build. I like what you’ve got so far and kudos for your ingenuity and willingness to share with us. Keep in mind that I consider myself an complete mobil audio novice.

Since you’re using 6.5” woofers, could they be mounted in the sound bar rather than under the rear seats? Could amps and processor be mounted in the tailgate? I ask because I like what you’ve got but I don’t think I want to lose ability to fold the rear seats flat.
So for question 1, no. First of all the subwoofers are far too thick to be mounted in the sound bar. Secondly, subwoofers require very specific volumes, and small subwoofers such as these should really be ported if you want to pull any kind of volume out of them. The boxes I made for instance are .44 cubic feet and ported to 35 hz.

Amps cannot be mounted inside of the tailgate, as our tailgates are only an inch or so thick. Most of what you see is a thick plastic cover. They could be mounted in the storage cubby is done properly, and depending on the amp. You have to remember proper air flow for cooling.

I agree with you about the seats folding down. I took measures to ensure these are easily removed, requiring no tools and about 30 seconds to remove. However, I have started working on a tail gate mounted box for different subs (last page here).

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Alright guys, finally got motivated to continue and have a couple updates. 2 things I didn't care for about my system. One, not able to fold the rear seats, and 2, the ability to see the amps and wiring under the seats.

First, the rear seat fix. Temporarily got my JLs mounted on the tailgate. They are secure, but I need to come up with a way to support them at the top that isn't a strap. Bottom is supported by 1/4 inch thick steel that I made into L brackets and bolted to the tailgate.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210517_132945

As for wiring. I'm testing a solution to see if I get overheating issues. I pulled all of the wiring out and started fresh. 0 gauge stinger OFC from the battery, into the passenger tail like area, and then into the factory sub enclosure. I pulled the enclosure and gutted it, and pulled out the factory sub. This gave me enough room to actually mount all 3 amps, the LOC, fusing and distribution blocks. The 2 AB amps are also right in front of the grill. I'm hoping this works, as it is super clean and I give up no space that I wasn't already missing for the factory subs.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210517_233904

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210517_233837

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU audio build 20210518_002421

Now to get the jeep cleaned up and start working on the upper tailgate mount. And probably finish the box at some point, needs carpet and I'm going to make a facia for it.
Sponsored