Sponsored

JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values

gkizzle3622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2.5L
So I was putting the soft top back on my 2018 JL unlimited tonight for summer and as I was tightening down the last screw on the door surround clamps, the thread completely ripped through the plastic.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values 1618809261272

I double checked my torque wrench to make sure it matched the specs in the Mopar instructions and 2018 Jeep user manual which was 12 N m (8.8 ft lbs). [https://www.imagesmartdealer.com/mopar_accessories_isheet/K6862737.PDF]

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values 1618809322748

This matches the torque specs in my 2018 user manual as well:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values 1618956899945

I then proceeded to remove all the other door surrounds just to double check thinking it may have been a fluke. However, literally every single clamp is starting to crack/split in the plastic surround the threads.

This torque spec is clearly wrong and I saw a few other people mention they ran into a similar problem when using the Mopar installation instructions (sadly after the fact). (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-install-and-concerns.8046/post-728708)

The latest model (2021) owner's manual also gives torque specs for these screws and they are significantly lower than the 2018 Jeep/Mopar instructions (8-9 N m vs. 12 N m)

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values 1618809873457

Has anyone else tried getting Mopar (or a dealer) to replace these clamps given their faulty instructions?

Looking for some guidance here as I'll have to spend almost 200 dollars to order 8 replacement clamps from Quadratec which is less than ideal given that I followed Mopar's instructions exactly.

@JeepCares
Sponsored

Last edited:

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I was putting the soft top back on my 2018 JL unlimited tonight for summer and as I was tightening down the last screw on the door surround clamps, the thread completely ripped through the plastic.

1618809261272.png

I double checked my torque wrench to make sure it matched the specs in the Mopar instructions which was 12 N m (8.8 ft lbs), which it did. [https://www.imagesmartdealer.com/mopar_accessories_isheet/K6862737.PDF]

1618809322748.png

I then proceeded to remove all the other door surrounds just to double check thinking it may have been a fluke. However, literally every single clamp is starting to crack/split in the plastic surround the threads.

This torque spec is clearly wrong and I saw a few other people mention they ran into a similar problem when using the Mopar installation instructions (sadly after the fact). (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-install-and-concerns.8046/post-728708)

I tried looking through my 2018 owners manual and it doesn't even give torque specs but simply says don't overtighten which isn't super helpful. However, the latest model (2021) owner's manual does give torque specs for these screws and they are significantly lower than the Mopar instructions (8-9 N m vs. Mopar's 12 N m)

1618809873457.png

Has anyone else tried getting Mopar (or a dealer) to replace these clamps given their faulty instructions?

Looking for some guidance here as I'll have to spend almost 200 dollars to order 8 replacement clamps from Quadratec which is less than ideal given that I followed Mopar's instructions exactly.

@JeepCares
Not sure what manual revision you have, but it is in my 2018 manual and it should be 8.8 in/lbs...not foot lbs...

EDIT: that math doesn’t add up. 12 N-m is equal to 8.8 ft/lbs...not sure what is going on there...

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values EE52B59E-2416-419F-BB8D-D9F1A93A1CA6

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There's a torque spec for those? I've just been torquing to german spec.

The way I see it, if all you use is the dinky little ratchet they provide, and don't haul ass on it, you should never strip or crack a damn thing. They really just need to be snugged up.

The warning is about stripping screws, not about the plastic failing and the nutsert pulling through. That makes me suspicious that you've got an actual flaw in the plastic material, or that the instructions are truly incorrect - basing the torque spec on what the nutsert threads can handle vs what the plastic can handle.

The worst the dealer can do is say "no". Try.

OP
OP

gkizzle3622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TA1ton - I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the torque specs being for the threads and not the actual plastic. It's also interesting that not only does the user manual show the value of 12 N m but has the incorrect units with in lbs instead of ft lbs. What a consistency nightmare!

I used the Jeep ratchet to get them tight then torqued them to spec with a brand new torque wrench. Here was the results:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values 1618851677406

Cracks starting to show in the plastic for the rest of the clamps:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Soft Top & Mopar Torque Values 1618851757075

Clearly Jeep and Mopar both dropped the ball on the included instructions.

Last edited:

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Yikes! Good to know, I use my drill to get everything most of the way then hand torque the rest because I'm paranoid, looks like that paid off in this instance.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

I double checked my torque wrench to make sure it matched the specs in the Mopar instructions which was 12 N m (8.8 ft lbs), which it did. [https://www.imagesmartdealer.com/mopar_accessories_isheet/K6862737.PDF]

I tried looking through my 2018 owners manual and it doesn't even give torque specs but simply says don't overtighten which isn't super helpful. However, the latest model (2021) owner's manual does give torque specs for these screws and they are significantly lower than the Mopar instructions (8-9 N m vs. Mopar's 12 N m)

@JeepCares
Thanks for tagging us here, gkizzle3622, we'd be happy to discuss with you further. Please send our team a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

gkizzle3622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for tagging us here, gkizzle3622, we'd be happy to discuss with you further. Please send our team a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate, thanks for reaching out. I sent you/your team a PM!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Just starting to prepare the soft top for the summer and I noticed the exact same issue on the clamps: they're all starting to crack.

I use a very precise digital torque wrench so there seems to be something very wrong with the instructions (2019 JLUR).

Basically, the older instructions tell us to torque these things 33% more than the new ones, which end up above the maximum allowed.

It's no surprise that it causes damage, as what was recommended at 8.8 ft/pound is above the maximum torque (87.6 in/pound = 7.3 ft/pound).

Since Canadian customers are not "helped" by Jeep Cares or anything, I guess my only chance of getting a claim for these is at a dealer.

Faulty instructions followed to the letter causing damage....the new instructions can be used to make a pretty good case.

Last edited:
OP
OP

gkizzle3622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just starting to prepare the soft top for the summer and I noticed the exact same issue on the clamps: they're all starting to crack.

I use a very precise digital torque wrench so there seems to be something very wrong with the instructions (2019 JLUR).

Basically, the older instructions tell us to torque these things 33% more than the new ones, which end up above the maximum allowed.

It's no surprise that it causes damage, as what was recommended at 8.8 ft/pound is above the maximum torque (87.6 in/pound = 7.3 ft/pound).

Since Canadian customers are not "helped" by Jeep Cares or anything, I guess my only chance of getting a claim for these is at a dealer.

Faulty instructions followed to the letter causing damage....the new instructions can be used to make a pretty good case.
You nailed it!

For what it's worth, I took mine down to the dealer and they are going to replace it under warranty. Took a bit of discussing it with them but eventually they came around.

Hopefully you can get the same result!

Sponsored

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Yeah I went there yesterday.

Had to explain them that I don't torque these things "by hand" but with a digital torque wrench, and that the instructions have changed in the manual.

They took pictures and they will open a case with the manufacturer. I'll post the results here.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Just to let you know guys, the dealer/Jeep replaced the clamps (8 of them). Got them today.

That was very fast.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I tightened mine today with a torque wrench and 71 in-lbs felt extremely tight. I ended up backing them off and tightening them "snug". The torque to remove them initially was much less than it took for me to back them off today. Something is awry with their instructions in the manual.

This isn't the first time, I learned real quickly that their instructions to shift into 4H/L are horrible and you "just have to figure it out". They need a new tech writing department.

Edit: I am using a really nice 1/4" torque wrench. The same one that I've done engine work on Hondas with and have had zero problems.
Sponsored