JL Security in the Digital Age

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
My bare bones 1997 TJ had a hidden toggle switch that needed to be flipped before the engine could start. I have no idea if that's possible in the JL with all of its technology, but it was a simple way to get some extra peace of mind.

Edit - spelling

I'm sure an old style kill switch / relay can be used between the source and load for the starting circuit,.....
Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
In this modern day of electronics, I think it might be worth testing if -- instead of adding a toggle switch to the ignition -- adding a toggle switch to the brake light switch or sensor would work better. Essentially, you can't "start" the vehicle if you don't have your foot on the brake pedal, so what if the vehicle can't detect that you're pressing the brake? I'm not planning to do this myself, but it would be an interesting proof of concept. I believe that any thief would give up on it, even if they had the key!
I whole heartedly agree.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Gary, are you saying that said transmission to and from the vehicle and fob are not identical each time and involve a series of otherwise less than Fort Knox level revolving codes to break?

I guess that once they've got your rig started, if the thief's next stop is some "chop shop," or cargo ship destined for far away lands with, how shall I say this, "less than airtight enforcement and extradition treaties with the US," it probably doesn't make much difference.
The guys doing relays cant restart your car, they dont try to hack anything, its a trick to extend the range of your key fob out to driveway so they can drive to the chop shop or what ever.

There are people catching some of the transmissions and reducing the number of combinations to something they can break in a short time span, I am willing to bet thats not very likely vs the relay it certainly adds time which = risk.

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I had a vehicle back in the day with the same feature.

I wonder if an FCA dealer would even install it. I say this not so much because it is necessarily a difficult thing to do, provided you have knowledge of what wires to tap, and can possibly be a DIY or 3rd party installer job, but my fear that having all but an FCA dealer futz with such things might be warranty risking.
If you want such a device (the kill switch), I'd strongly recommend against having it a factory or dealer option. Call it my paranoia, but several of the car thieves in my area (look up 2017 & 2018 Anchorage, AK car thefts) are getting info from people that work at dealers or have worked at dealers. If I was to put in a kill switch, I'd do it myself so nobody outside my house and my mechanic could start it.

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I will also reiterate my 2 cents from another post. If you choose to go this route, devices that merely attach around the steering wheel (and not the brake pedal) are IMHO not worth the money.

Thoughts?
Food for thought, the steering wheel lock devices actually are a visual deterrent only. So for that portion you are correct.

However, for a $20 investment, your vehicle drops significantly on the likely to be stolen scale. It may get broken into and things taken, but the theft of the entire vehicle is less likely as thieves are lazy. Why take the time to cut off a club when they can go to another house and steal a similar vehicle? $20 in initial investment vs. the headaches/heartaches of your car getting stolen and trashed (most stolen vehicles here are returned with drug use items still in them and permanent interior damage from meth and weed fumes).

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you want such a device (the kill switch), I'd strongly recommend against having it a factory or dealer option. Call it my paranoia, but several of the car thieves in my area (look up 2017 & 2018 Anchorage, AK car thefts) are getting info from people that work at dealers or have worked at dealers. If I was to put in a kill switch, I'd do it myself so nobody outside my house and my mechanic could start it.
Exactly so ! As I asked before : What FCA security ?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Food for thought, the steering wheel lock devices actually are a visual deterrent only. So for that portion you are correct.

However, for a $20 investment, your vehicle drops significantly on the likely to be stolen scale. It may get broken into and things taken, but the theft of the entire vehicle is less likely as thieves are lazy. Why take the time to cut off a club when they can go to another house and steal a similar vehicle? $20 in initial investment vs. the headaches/heartaches of your car getting stolen and trashed (most stolen vehicles here are returned with drug use items still in them and permanent interior damage from meth and weed fumes).

Yep , not only the Club , but a stainless steel chain wrapped around everything , secured by a big padlock . The low thieves won't get my JK .

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Interesting point John and somewhat ironic. I sought the dealer for fear of warranty voiding. You smartly suggested anything but for the security fears of car theft associated with dealerships and why I might want said device in the first place.:)

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

So true John. No way can we deter all threats. All we can do is assign our own level of effort we see as acceptable to thwart the opportunistic thief that might see such devices and move to another vehicle--not that wish to pass bad fortune on to others.

By these points, sadly and ironically, the auto lock devices around the steering wheel are more effective than those around the brake pedal (the little window stickers that announce the brake lock version's presence notwithstanding) despite the latter being harder to overcome. The former might prevent your window from being broken in the first place.

I version of myself I'm not too proud of identifies with why Singapore streets are so clean: liter and you get caned.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

It does not work that way, snatch and grab guys are not stealing cars (San Fran is happy they lowered the rate to one car being broken into every 20 minutes not not every 17 minutes! ugg), oh sure if you left keys in maybe they steal it.

To steal a newer car you use a tow truck or you have know how to defeat all the electronics (sport s and above have alarm that further kills ignition), they often go after certain kinds of cars police locally tell us (there are corvette "rings" and ones that like off road vehicles as they sell well over seas). If they can get a duplicate key from some internal contact... that might be the one case the club makes a slight difference... but if they went to the work to get a key for your specific jeep... I dont see them being detered.

Avoid being targeted in the first place, lights, smart parking and wheel turning, and prevent relay attack seem to be best bet.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
if they went to the work to get a key for your specific jeep... I dont see them being detered.
That's what they do . The low thieves ( auto thieves) should be rounded up by the high thieves ( politicians ) . But the high thieves ( politicians ) want the votes of the low thieves (auto thieves ) .

Rubyeagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger T/A 392
Got a Bmmpr for the Sarge. Kind of wonky app but does give alerts when bumped or started.
Sponsored