Sponsored

JL obd scanner

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Most manufacturers have added OBDII and cellular (Uconnect for FCA) firewalls on very late models. This is what the Security Gateway Module (SGW) in the Wrangler JL does.

There were some highly publicized vehicle malicious hacking demonstrations published in the media (mostly on Jeeps) in recent years that was the wake-up call for the auto industry. For example: https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/
That video is CRAZY!
Sponsored

Mpmaz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I'm thinking of getting Jscan and have a question about the security bypass cable.
So after the cable is attached, the obd reader plugs into the bypass cable? Or the regular obd port?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm thinking of getting Jscan and have a question about the security bypass cable.
So after the cable is attached, the obd reader plugs into the bypass cable? Or the regular obd port?
@Mpmaz

Best bet is to forget the cables and go the better way ... to buy a $24.99 Security Gateway Bypass Module.

You connect that SGW Bypass Module at the Security Gateway. Your OBDSll Bluetooth Scanner plugs into the "regular obd port" as you call it..

In regard to the OBDll Bluetooth Scanner.... do not buy a cheapo one.... buy one that is recommended by JSCAN. Buy one that JSCAN says is "Highly Recommended" for use with JSCAN.

While the scanners that are listed on JSCAN's website as just recommended and not highly recommended do work, they do not do the job like the highly recommended ones do.

A JSCAN rep told me that many problems they see are related to the use of a "slow" Bluetooth Scanner.

Here is the SGW Bypass Module you would want to buy... Yes, ZAutomotive, sells a bypass modules but it is quite pricey. This $24.99 bypass module works as well as the pricier offering.
https://www.amazon.com/ECRI-Security-2018-2020-Wrangler-Gladiator/dp/B08DLB6VH6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1GAKUESZ9R586&keywords=ecri+bypass&qid=1643052010&sprefix=ecri+bypass,aps,62&sr=8-2

As far as which OBDll Bluetooth Scanner ... here is one that is "Highly Recommended" by JSCAN and is actually the fastest Bluetooth Scanner you can buy.. Yes, it is a bit pricey. Terrific offering though. Another big plus is that you can update the firmware on this scanner and it comes with a real nice zipper case
https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C4749CC9A63AYXQDE3D7

Mpmaz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
@Mpmaz

Best bet is to forget the cables and go the better way ... to buy a $24.99 Security Gateway Bypass Module. You connect that bypass module at the Security Gateway. Your OBDSll Bluetooth Scanner plugs into the "regular obd port" as you call it..

In regard to the OBDll Bluetooth Scanner, do not buy a cheapo.... buy one that is recommended by JSCAN. Buy one that JSCAN says is "Highly Recommended" for use with JSCAN.

While the scanners that are listed on JSCAN's website as just recommended and not highly recommended do work, they do not do the job like the highly recommended ones do. A JSCAN rep told me that many problems they see are related to the use of a "slow" Bluetooth Scanner.

Here is the SGW bypass you would want to buy... Yes, ZAutomotive, sells a bypass modules but it is quite pricey. This $24.99 bypass module works as well as the pricier offering.
https://www.amazon.com/ECRI-Security-2018-2020-Wrangler-Gladiator/dp/B08DLB6VH6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1GAKUESZ9R586&keywords=ecri+bypass&qid=1643052010&sprefix=ecri+bypass,aps,62&sr=8-2

As far as which OBDll Bluetooth Scanner ... here is one that is "Highly Recommended" by JSCAN and is the fastest Bluetooth Scanner you can buy.. Yes, it is a bit pricey. Terrific offering though. Another big plus is that you can update it's firmware..
https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C4749CC9A63AYXQDE3D7

I already have a good scanner, thanks. So nothing plugs into the bypass cable? It simply functions by plugging it in? Because it looks like it has on OBD style port on the other end

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have a good scanner, thanks. So nothing plugs into the bypass cable? It simply functions by plugging it in?
@Mpmaz

A "good scanner" and a scanner recommended and known to work with JSCAN may be two different animals.

Scanner plugs into the OBDll port. See OBDll port under the red circle..

$24.99, SGW Bypass Module plugs (don't buy ""cables) in at the Security Gateway... circled in red.

You disconnect the 2 cables shown inside the red circle and those 2 disconnected cables plug into your SGW Bypass Module.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL obd scanner gateway.JPG

Sponsored

Mpmaz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
What's the problem with the cable type bypass? These cables are spec'd out on Jscans website

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mpmaz

Pic shows a module plugged into the 2 SGW disconnects.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL obd scanner 20180426_194230

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the problem with the cable type bypass? These cables are spec'd out on Jscans website
@Mpmaz

Buy the Autel Chrysler 12+8 adapter ($24+) , if you wish... you will pay for those clunky, old school cables almost/about what you will pay for the better way to go, $24.99 SGW Bypass module.

Instead of the cleaner SGW bypass install you will have cables dangling down. You will not want to leave the cables dangling... well, you could try to tie them up.

With the SGW Bypass Module, you can leave it installed. It is very small.

Many guys like myself like to leave the hardware in place... Not only do we do programming with JSCAN but also use the handful of features that you can use lets say a bit on the fly.. while actively driving the JL.

With all said do as you wish. Bet bet is to go with the know to work very well ECRI SGW Bypass Module or a $69 ZAutomotive SGW Bypass Module.

Your choice... either the SGW Bypass Module or Autel Chrysler 12+8 adapter .... both are aok ways to go.

If you need help using JSCAN go to their FB page and of course, you can ask guys here ? that you have.

Mpmaz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
@Mpmaz

Buy the Autel Chrysler 12+8 adapter ($24+) , if you wish... you will pay for those clunky, old school cables almost/about what you will pay for the better way to go, $24.99 SGW Bypass module.

Instead of the cleaner SGW bypass install you will have cables dangling down. You will not want to leave the cables dangling... well, you could try to tie them up.

With the SGW Bypass Module, you can leave it installed. It is very small.

Many guys like myself like to leave the hardware in place... Not only do we do programming with JSCAN but also use the handful of features that you can use lets say a bit on the fly.. while actively driving the JL.

With all said do as you wish. Bet bet is to go with the know to work very well ECRI SGW Bypass Module or a $69 ZAutomotive SGW Bypass Module.

Your choice... either the SGW Bypass Module or Autel Chrysler 12+8 adapter .... both are aok ways to go.

If you need help using JSCAN go to their FB page and of course, you can ask guys here ? that you have.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks
@Mpmaz

No problem... hope the info I gave you helps you get going with JSCAN.

Whether you go with the Autel Chrysler 12+8 adapter or a SGW Bypass Module is no big deal.... it is the Scanner that you have to be sure you get one that performs well with JSCAN.. with the JL.
An iffy Scanner can cause you lots of headaches when programming..

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel

Another post I just replied to got me thinking I never mentioned this to you.
--------------------------------

You can use for different devices with JSCAN on more then one device set-up with your JL's Vin# matched JSCAN registration.

Set up the JSCAN app on one device in regard to your Vin... so your Vin is registered and JSCAN is all set for use with that/your JL..

Now, Open JSCAN, go to Settings >Manage Licenses & Account > Status.. now, there, you will see the purchased and used licenses and also an Account Token that is 6 characters in length and surrounded by an yellow block/button of color .. IMPORTANT: You want to note this token.. write it down.... Why .... because this is your only identifier.

Anyone using JSCAN that has registered a Vin# with JSCAN should... Keep a record of the TOKEN for that vehicle in regard to JSCAN.

IF you were to lose your device, this will save you a lot of headaches... you won't have to reach out to JSCAN, in Poland.

You'd just get another device, install the JSCAN app and use the Token you have written down.and you are good to go in regard to JSCAN and your vehicle.

Using this Token, you can type this token into any device (JSCAN app)

On your new device, go to the Settings >Manage Licenses & Account > Status and tap the yellow block/Token button (when tapped it should say “Add”)... now type the Token in. Now, tap the refresh icon and/or restart the JSCAN app.. You should now be all set to use JSCAN on that device on your JL.

You can use it on both Android and iOS. If the you have any issues with this process, contact JSCAN via chat, who will help you retrieve the mentioned Token.

Trivia.... JSCAN switched to this token / identifier approach in 2020.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Another post I just replied to got me thinking I never mentioned this to you.
--------------------------------

You can use for different devices with JSCAN on more then one device set-up with your JL's Vin# matched JSCAN registration.

Set up the JSCAN app on one device in regard to your Vin... so your Vin is registered and JSCAN is all set for use with that/your JL..

Now, Open JSCAN, go to Settings >Manage Licenses & Account > Status.. now, there, you will see the purchased and used licenses and also an Account Token that is 6 characters in length and surrounded by an yellow block/button of color .. IMPORTANT: You want to note this token.. write it down.... Why .... because this is your only identifier.

Anyone using JSCAN that has registered a Vin# with JSCAN should... Keep a record of the TOKEN for that vehicle in regard to JSCAN.

IF you were to lose your device, this will save you a lot of headaches... you won't have to reach out to JSCAN, in Poland.

You'd just get another device, install the JSCAN app and use the Token you have written down.and you are good to go in regard to JSCAN and your vehicle.

Using this Token, you can type this token into any device (JSCAN app)

On your new device, go to the Settings >Manage Licenses & Account > Status and tap the yellow block/Token button (when tapped it should say “Add”)... now type the Token in. Now, tap the refresh icon and/or restart the JSCAN app.. You should now be all set to use JSCAN on that device on your JL.

You can use it on both Android and iOS. If the you have any issues with this process, contact JSCAN via chat, who will help you retrieve the mentioned Token.

Trivia.... JSCAN switched to this token / identifier approach in 2020.

Took a screenshot and uploaded it to my OneDrive/GDrive/DropBox the day I bought the license and activated it 😁