Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
...or one year or 350 hours.
Wouldn’t the light cover both these situations? , Don’t you think you would get the oil indicator light if you didn’t do an oil change for over one year or it had those hours on it ? I would think the computer has it all figured in and that’s why they want us to follow the light.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Be more meticulous with your maintenance! You didn't change the seat fluid or check the speed and sharpness of the fan blades by stopping them with BOTH hands. (FCA recommends removing rings for safety. )
Thanks for pointing those out, I'll add them to my list.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I’m not sure where people are getting 10k OCI. The manual does not state that at all. The manual gives three numbers. The first is that the oil indicator light can go off as early as 3,500. The second is to not exceed 10k miles and the third is if you fall under the severe category to change your oil at 4K miles. I imagine more people fall under the severe category than they think.

I can guarantee dealers encourage people to get their oil changes way before 10k miles once they are no longer eligible in the Jeep Wave program.

So choose to follow the oil indicator, but I won’t. I don’t trust it. I will change my oil at 5k miles and recycle my old oil.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I’m not sure where people are getting 10k OCI. The manual does not state that at all. The manual gives three numbers. The first is that the oil indicator light can go off as early as 3,500. The second is to not exceed 10k miles and the third is if you fall under the severe category to change your oil at 4K miles. I imagine more people fall under the severe category than they think.

I can guarantee dealers encourage people to get their oil changes way before 10k miles once they are no longer eligible in the Jeep Wave program.

So choose to follow the oil indicator, but I won’t. I don’t trust it. I will change my oil at 5k miles and recycle my old oil.
That's the beauty of it, the oil life indicator keeps track of how abusive you are to your engine.
I use to drive government vehicles. We mostly used them as golf carts driving less than 1/4 mile a day. Coincidently the oil change light went off around 3K miles or so. When I mentioned that the oil needed to be changed, I was told we go by an actual mileage schedule which is 8K miles. Driving an engine that never warms up it's whole life is abusive. Might not be snowplow or police duty but it's still a rough life. The oil life monitor caught that and was properly alerting us that it needed to be changed but for us it made the paperwork too complicated.

BTW don't ever buy a used government vehicle.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Wouldn’t the light cover both these situations? , Don’t you think you would get the oil indicator light if you didn’t do an oil change for over one year or it had those hours on it ? I would think the computer has it all figured in and that’s why they want us to follow the light.
I don't believe it tracks time/days. I last changed my oil back in November and put 800 miles on it since then, but my oil life is at 90%. So at this rate it will take a few years before it gets to 0% lol.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I don't believe it tracks time/days. I last changed my oil back in November and put 800 miles on it since then, but my oil life is at 90%. So at this rate it will take a few years before it gets to 0% lol.
It doesn’t. I know BMW’s do, but for Jeeps and most other vehicles you gotta note the age of the oil. Under regular driving, the age thing is usually never a factor.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Definitely a lot of confusion surrounding this oil change interval. So the computer that were supposed to follow for the oil change is so smart that they don’t even need to give us a mileage interval when we need to do our oil BUT the computer is too dumb in that it doesn’t have a timer and it doesn’t know when the year is up ? it doesn’t know when the hours are up ? it doesn’t know when its “severe duty” all those are up to the operator to decide ? Very confusing.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Definitely a lot of confusion surrounding this oil change interval. So the computer that were supposed to follow for the oil change is so smart that they don’t even need to give us a mileage interval when we need to do our oil BUT the computer is too dumb in that it doesn’t have a timer and it doesn’t know when the year is up ? it doesn’t know when the hours are up ? it doesn’t know when its “severe duty” all those are up to the operator to decide ? Very confusing.
The only thing you need to track is when your year is up. The computer decides if you’re using it for severe duty.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
The only thing you need to track is when your year is up. The computer decides if you’re using it for severe duty.
How can yiu be so sure that the computer tracks hours / severe duty?

The manual does mention severe duty is mostly for fleet vehicles correct?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Fleet vehicles, but also driving on dusty roads and/or driving prolonged periods of time with low idle speed.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

Dusty conditions is about the only thing it won’t know, but otherwise it knows how long the engine has been at idle, engine rpm history, engine temp, oil pressure, etc.
It’s much more accurate than in the old days when you just had to remember and make assumptions on how you’re treating your engine. The old maintenance schedules took this into account and just made the schedule overly conservative.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Dusty conditions is about the only thing it won’t know, but otherwise it knows how long the engine has been at idle, engine rpm history, engine temp, oil pressure, etc.
It’s much more accurate than in the old days when you just had to remember and make assumptions on how you’re treating your engine. The old maintenance schedules took this into account and just made the schedule overly conservative.

That still doesn’t explain how you know that it knows. Where are you getting this information from is my question exactly? I’d love to read a little more about it if you have a source

Thanks!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no true way to know when oil life is up unless you do an oil analysis a few times for your vehicle following an oil change. So, you can follow the oil life monitor or go under the 3,000-5,000 mile oil change intervals. Either way, both are assumptions.
Sponsored