JL/Gladiator Offset chart OE thru -18

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel & 2021 392
Well I screwed up imo and didn't properly research and pencil out proper backspacing on our Gladiator and the tires stick out further than I like. Looks okay and doesn't have the skateboard look but I like my tires to as close to flush as possible. So I penciled out a chart and just wanted to share in case others need to reference. I purchased -18 wheels based off other Jeep's that I seen using www.customwheeloffset.com. After penciling it all out before I ordered wheels for our 392 I realized part of my issue when I went to the AEV site for the wheels for the 392 and realized the JK and JL have different backspacing. -18 is basically 2.25" further outward and that isn't including the added width of running a wider wheel than the 7.5" OE wheels. So I went with the AEV Pintler for our 392. Down the road I may sell the wheels we have on the Gladiator and go over to the AEV Pintler as well. I just like the OE look of the Pintler compared to most of the current wheels on the market. Bonus that they build their wheels to try and retain the flusher look as well. I'll post some pics of the 35x11.5R17 Nitto next week when I get them on the 392.

20210726_110135[1].jpg
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for sharing, I think a lot of people pick wheels based on the look they want without thinking of the impact of the offset.

I think the Pintler is a great choice. Another option for those looking for stock styling is QT's line for the JL/JT, although it has the 10mm offset like AEV's JK wheels.

Probably inconsequential, but i assume the outside of wheel face doesn't matter to you as much as the outside of tire. The centerline of the tire will move out and in with offset. But the tire section only increases about .2" per 1/2" of wheel width.

Using that logic, and using BFG 285s as baseline, the stock tire is about 10.6" on a 7.5" wheel, and the Nitto Trail will be be about 11.22" on a 8.5" wheel. Total tire poke delta ignoring wheels of .31" (half of the difference). Sidewalls will poke that much plus the change in offset ~.75", so a little more than an inch out from the stockers.

OP
OP
houseofdiesel

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel & 2021 392
Thanks for sharing, I think a lot of people pick wheels based on the look they want without thinking of the impact of the offset.

I think the Pintler is a great choice. Another option for those looking for stock styling is QT's line for the JL/JT, although it has the 10mm offset like AEV's JK wheels.

Probably inconsequential, but i assume the outside of wheel face doesn't matter to you as much as the outside of tire. The centerline of the tire will move out and in with offset. But the tire section only increases about .2" per 1/2" of wheel width.

Using that logic, and using BFG 285s as baseline, the stock tire is about 10.6" on a 7.5" wheel, and the Nitto Trail will be be about 11.22" on a 8.5" wheel. Total tire poke delta ignoring wheels of .31" (half of the difference). Sidewalls will poke that much plus the change in offset ~.75", so a little more than an inch out from the stockers.

Thanks for correcting me. I meant offset. Old school brain always reverts to the word backspacing which is so meaningless in reality now that we use offset. lol

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...Old school brain always reverts to the word backspacing which is so meaningless in reality now that we use offset. lol
No need to discount "backspace". Offset primarily affects handling, while backspace pertains to clearance. The dimensions are obviously related but "offset" has not deprecated "backspace".

An interest in one or the other parameter is a matter of pertinence and context.
Sponsored