First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Nice to see you’re getting a new frame. This happened to my old jk. They replaced the whole frame and axle assembly when someone hit my tire. I had the dealership do it also since they know what they’re working on instead of some random body/collision shop. Funny thing was it never showed up on the car fax when I traded it in lol.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I always thought if the frame was bent, it was totaled. It seems that if the metal was stressed from being bent it would not have the same strength integrity as the undamaged area. I am old school, but if they have mastered frame straightening, I would like to learn more. Thanks for posting.
Without getting too deep into metallurgy, yes the bent area will not be the same as the undamaged area. However, depending on the extent of a bend, compression, or other stresses it may not have an appreciable difference in strength/regidity.
All that said. The OP got a new frame so the point is moot for his situation.

..... It might say the frame was damaged but more likely it will say 'Major Repair' or something foul like that....
The reports I've looked at with "major repair" tend to be pretty specific about what happened. So I would suspect it will list the frame as replaced in the details if it does show major repair.
To be fair though, based on some of the reactions in this thread "it will never be the same", "get it fixed and sell it immediately", etc. shouldn't it show the repair? Do any of you who are saying these things want to buy a Jeep with this repair if it's not listed? Double edge sword guys.

OP if you PM your vin I can run it and let you know (assuming it's already been reported to carfax).

Moonlight_Ken

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGER UNLIMITED
You need to ask her insurance company for a "loss of value" payout to you. This is being done over the last couple of years but you have to ask. The issue is that this Jeep will now show an accident on Carfax which will devalue the vehicle. The loss will come up when you try to sell. Many dealers will not even keep cars with accidents and will send them to the auctions. One way or another you have lost value.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

y'all are killing this thread. its a bent frame from an accident. its been completely replaced with a factory brand new frame it doesn't matter. If or When he goes to sell it I hope he keeps the pictures the dealer has been sending. I mean i would buy the jeep from you without a doubt. its going to run great, drive straight, and wheel like a champ. don't listen to these yahoos on here they love scaring people with negative's life is to short for that. I am glad y'all are ok and that the insurance is handling your case. When you pick up your jeep ( if you didn't yesterday) just make sure everything looks good

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Agreed.

So did they deliver on time? Have you started the mod fest that you stocked up for while it was away?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
y'all are killing this thread. its a bent frame from an accident. its been completely replaced with a factory brand new frame it doesn't matter. If or When he goes to sell it I hope he keeps the pictures the dealer has been sending. I mean i would buy the jeep from you without a doubt. its going to run great, drive straight, and wheel like a champ. don't listen to these yahoos on here they love scaring people with negative's life is to short for that. I am glad y'all are ok and that the insurance is handling your case. When you pick up your jeep ( if you didn't yesterday) just make sure everything looks good
This. A lot of fear going around since March especially, and I think everyone trying to scare OP has forgotten our primary fear right now is still supposed to be COVID. So stop worrying about a frame, put your fear mask back on and go hide in a dark corner of your house.

Geesh, the media tells us what to fear and Jeep frame replacements aren't it right now.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry about the Frame replacement. You'll be fine! you will still have the factory warranties covering everything done, plus labor warranties on the repairs and workmanship from the dealer. and since its done by a dealer, it will be easier to get "Gremlins" as someone so called it, taken care of if they arrive. I would be more concerned about the normal Jeep issues than any that might come from the repairs to be honest.

On a side note, I would file against the other drivers insurance for undue loss of value due to the damage of the vehicle. It is a claim that not too many people know that they can file. Basically, your vehicle is instantly devalued due to their insured drivers neglect. you can either contact them or take the driver to small claims court and file for $10k of depreciation. You will get it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
You need to ask her insurance company for a "loss of value" payout to you. This is being done over the last couple of years but you have to ask. The issue is that this Jeep will now show an accident on Carfax which will devalue the vehicle. The loss will come up when you try to sell. Many dealers will not even keep cars with accidents and will send them to the auctions. One way or another you have lost value.
I don’t know why people are flaming your reply; it’s spot on. OP was involved in an accident that was not his fault. Many states now have “diminished value” payouts for this exact situation. Regardless of how well the Jeep is fixed or if OP ever intends to sell it is moot. Grab that cash if it’s available!

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/diminished-value-claim.aspx

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I’ll definitely be making a diminished value claim. DV claims don’t usually result in a huge payout here in Nevada, but it will be something.

I haven’t picked it up yet. Looking like the end of this week. I’m anxious to get it back, but I figure it’ll be done when it’s done.

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I think you are going to be fine especially since you had a jeep dealership do it so you have the peace of mind of being able to return if there are any issues afterwards. Your insurance company should back you up as well.

My son and I replaced the frame on our 2018 JLUR in my driveway. It was major repair in terms of hours (7 months for the heavy haul part of it) but considering I'm no auto expert and there was very little online to assist with a 2018 it was really just about diving in and being logical and documenting what goes where and not rushing things. The only real technical issues I had after the replacement was electrical issues which for me were a real PIA. In terms of the quality of my own repairs I have found about 4-5 bolts I had failed to tighten since the repair was 'finished' and that was because they had to wait until a part came in etc. and I never got back to tightening them up. I have since gone over every exposed nut and bolt I could touch and everything is good now. The jeep drives straight and effortlessly now.

I do agree with a previous comment regarding repair versus replacement. I think most insurers will shy away or flat out deny frame repair because of liability reasons however in your case you're getting a new replacement and I think you should feel confident that the repair will bring the car back to normal feel. I would expect one or two visits maybe for little issues they may have forgot like me.

Things I would do after getting your jeep back from repair:
  1. Crawl under the jeep when you get it back and check the torque on all the bolts you can reach. Pay special attention to all the connections to the axle, control arms, fuel tank etc. Check your body bolts are all there, you can try to turn them but they will have loctite on them so that might be pointless, don't put a pry bar on them and go crazy...they do break.
  2. Your steering box probably took a good hit which may not be evident. They have a bad history of not lasting and can lead to very bad steering wobble (death wobble). I added a brace to mine for added security. When you get your jeep back take it for a slow drive over some bumps to see if there are any steering wobble issues. Better still, ask them if they replaced the box and push back if they did not.
  3. check to make sure all the flexible parts such as hoses and wiring are secured in their clips. I still find parts that I had not clipped in properly and it's wear or worse, fire hazard.
  4. Make sure they checked the alignment and rebalance your wheels which should be a given and is critical after messing with the axle.
Another issue I discovered, the batteries don't appreciate being slammed during an accident. Your jeep may start but you might find the battery has trouble holding a charge or weird electrical things start popping up. Remember there are two batteries, your main and the stop/start (ESS) small battery, have them replace both if they will do it.

While my frame was bare I did put a protective coating on it because even a new frame has a very light coating of paint and some of the welds were showing some orange rust staining. I did not have any tolerance issues with the coating I used and in fact I personally don't think that comes into the equation as I could have put something much thicker down and not had any issues. Somehow, I don't think Jeep will do that for you as part of the repair and am pretty sure they will not let you in to do the same. You could ask to inspect the frame to see if there are any rusting welds at the frame joints which they then may decide to recoat it for you.

Anyway, I think all should be good and you'll be back to enjoying your Rubicon very soon.
Take care
I appreciate the detailed response. I’ll definitely take a look at these things when I get it back.

I agree that the Jeep will ultimately be fine. If there are some lingering issues I have no doubt the dealership will make things right.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
An unmodded Wrangler? That's got to be hard to find. You are clearly very patient.
:LOL:
Truer words, and all that.

I have been pretty good about mods. I'm NOT going up in bigger tires, or axles, or driveshafts, Tazers, lifts, spacers, etc.

All I've done is add engine bay air compressor (which will come with me when I trade-in or sell and put in the Gladiator I'm sure I'll get), and ACE rock rails/step (which will stay with Jeep because they're a PIA to remove).

I've also got a nice little deadpedal inside, but who WOULDN'T like that? lol.

HOLDING THE LINE AGAINST THE MODS. It's difficult sometimes.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Frame Replacement Process & Pics 4hne0y

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
This. A lot of fear going around since March especially, and I think everyone trying to scare OP has forgotten our primary fear right now is still supposed to be COVID. So stop worrying about a frame, put your fear mask back on and go hide in a dark corner of your house.

Geesh, the media tells us what to fear and Jeep frame replacements aren't it right now.
I've learned so much about frame replacements. Don't let it dominate you, don't be afraid of it! You're gonna love it. They have the best mechanics, all trained recently. The Jeep will handle better than it has in a long time. Don't let it dominate, don't let it take over your life. Don't let that happen. We've got the greatest vehicles in the world. We're going back, we're going back to the trails, we're gonna be off road!

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned so much about frame replacements. Don't let it dominate you, don't be afraid of it! You're gonna love it. They have the best mechanics, all trained recently. The Jeep will handle better than it has in a long time. Don't let it dominate, don't let it take over your life. Don't let that happen. We've got the greatest vehicles in the world. We're going back, we're going back to the trails, we're gonna be off road!
You should run for president.....:rock:

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR