First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, Compatible JL Jeeps through 2018 from the website. Not sure about 2019 and 2020 models. 449 UK pounds = $628. More from the website:

The Ghost II protects your car from key-cloning, hacking, and even key theft. The Ghost has no key-fobs or LED indications to give away its location. The Ghost uses the buttons in your vehicle such as those on the steering wheel, door panels or center console, to allow you to make a unique, changeable, disarm sequence (like a PIN code) that must first be entered before you can drive your car.

Features
  • Immobilisation by communicating with the ECU
  • Disarm sequence via buttons on steering wheel / dash
  • No transmitted radio frequency signals
  • Uses the on-board CAN data network
  • User changeable disarm sequence
  • Service / Valet mode means the disarm sequence is never compromised
  • Secure, unique emergency code should the disarm sequence be forgotten
  • Mobile application can connect to 2 phones to allow quick disarm

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Does anyone remember those Steering wheel to brake pedal locks, couldn't depress brake pedal, or turn steering wheel. Low Tech, but effective for "drive away " theft.
Think it was called " The Club"
The problem with The Club is they can just hack saw your steering wheel. Although I won't knock anyone that uses one because I always said let the dirtbags work for it if they're gonna steal it.
i do remember the club. it was good until the hi jackers can hack saw or bolt cut the steering wheel. the other thing is that the club would be useless because the windshield is not angle enough for the club to hit it.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have a freind of mine that runs a "by pass button" on his truck. its a button that is hidden but within reach from the driver seat. he holds down the button while cranking the key to start the truck.

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
We have this in the UK.
It does exactly what you're looking for.
I'd be amazed if there's nothing similar over there that you guys can install.

https://autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu
Have you installed this in your Jeep? If so how is it?

Looking online in stolen car groups people are saying it can be bypassed, whether that’s true or not I don’t know but I am a bit skeptical. It’s a shame that it doesn’t get recognised by insurance providers either.

I’m looking at getting extra security when my GAP insurance expires next year.

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Being an EE, was thinking using the Aux switches to prevent start of a JL. One of the Aux switches could trigger a relay with a time delay off (RTD_OFF) The RTD_OFF would be wired into the circuit for the starter's solenoid or the power to the fuel pump.

Of course the silly auto stop/start circuit would be a real pain, but that feature can be programmed out of the Jeep.

And if one wanted to be fancier with the RTD_OFF, would could put some logic into the activation circuits of the RTDO (e.g., press the Aux switch and hold for 1 second, off for one second, on for one second).

For those Jeeps with a Manual, the anti theft feature comes from the factory, as shown below:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Anti-theft device to prevent engine starting Save the Manuals 1

If one is still worried about their manual JL, one could patch into the "clutch in the down position" circuit to install a circuit interrupter (e.g., a toggle switch or RTD_OFF w/Aux switch).

Of course there is my favorite, which is to install an ejector seat from a fighter jet. This would seating system would use a relay with a time delay on (RTD_ON). Once the JL is started, an aux switch would have to be pressed before the RTD_ON times out.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Anti-theft device to prevent engine starting Ejector Seat

Another option... a taser system or cattle prod system with an RTD_ON.

Lots of fun stuff for an EE to build. :D

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Have you installed this in your Jeep? If so how is it?

Looking online in stolen car groups people are saying it can be bypassed, whether that’s true or not I don’t know but I am a bit skeptical. It’s a shame that it doesn’t get recognised by insurance providers either.

I’m looking at getting extra security when my GAP insurance expires next year.
Not on the JL but I did have it on my last car.

I guess that anything can be bypassed with time and determination. At the end of the day is just a question of trying to make it as difficult as possible to steal.

I had it set so that the vehicle started but the engine would be disabled after 20 seconds of driving.
When I had it installed it was definitely the best and most highly rated device on the market.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone has any experience with Ravelco? I only know what I read online about it.
Sponsored