Sponsored

Jeep wont start

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Wiring diagrams here indicate both batteries are charged by the same ckt. Seeing as the 2 batteries are very different in size, this seems like a rather fundamental design flaw - with lots of posts to this forum confirming. Be ready to replace both batteries more often - is the result, IMO - both will wear out faster - basically as they drain and charge each other, cycling both more than a normal battery is cycled.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Wiring diagrams here indicate both batteries are charged by the same ckt. Seeing as the 2 batteries are very different in size, this seems like a rather fundamental design flaw - with lots of posts to this forum confirming. Be ready to replace both batteries more often - is the result, IMO - both will wear out faster - basically as they drain and charge each other, cycling both more than a normal battery is cycled.
This is why I chose this route, both batteries are identical and of excellent quality, they are 64ah rated and from Full River, from my limited research the cells are made by Odyssey.

I also do a weekly voltage top off and then a monthly recondition using a NOCO 10 and Odyssey 20 multi charge conditioner

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start 1BE69524-CF30-436D-966E-C4FDEFC1E010
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start DA2AE8E7-90D2-479D-98CD-8E3BC6C35979
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start A8E7F3D9-6431-4A32-BE8F-86D545796275

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes i will be heading back to the city today, voltage is not normal so i will change the ESS battery on monday. Ive never had voltage so low...
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start A8E7F3D9-6431-4A32-BE8F-86D545796275
you need to have it looked at, something is still quite wrong. Aux battery is probably toast.

OP
OP
PanamaJl

PanamaJl

First Name
JeepJLPanama=IG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj on 42s - JlU Rubicon on evo 3.5 lift with km3 37x12.5r17
you need to have it looked at, something is still quite wrong. Aux battery is probably toast.
Yes it is, still
Not back at home but will be heading back

soon... its gettin worst , still have a 2 hr drive

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Per video - it appears to me that the charger is smart enough to conserve power on acceleration, increase charge on decel. This reduces emissions and increases gas mileage. Really - anything above 12V is fine. Keep driving. I'd definitely test then likely replace the aux battery when you can, but vehicle dying on side of road before Monday seems unlikely - but depends on what aftermarket stuff you have installed and how you installed it.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Per video - it appears to me that the charger is smart enough to conserve power on acceleration, increase charge on decel. This reduces emissions and increases gas mileage. Really - anything above 12V is fine. Keep driving. I'd definitely test then likely replace the aux battery when you can, but vehicle dying on side of road before Monday seems unlikely - but depends on what aftermarket stuff you have installed and how you installed it.
Man, that’s really bad advice. It needs to be looked at ASAP, or you’re going to end up either on the side of the road or at least in a parking lot.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Man, that’s really bad advice. It needs to be looked at ASAP, or you’re going to end up either on the side of the road or at least in a parking lot.
Computer varying the alternator load has been around a long time for exactly the reason stated. If there are no codes, I wouldn’t worry. The aux battery could be toast, he is indeed at risk but far less so with a new start battery. The volt meter isn’t going to confirm that one way or the other.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Computer varying the alternator load has been around a long time for exactly the reason stated. If there are no codes, I wouldn’t worry. The aux battery could be toast, he is indeed at risk but far less so with a new start battery. The volt meter isn’t going to confirm that one way or the other.
uhhh do you not see the big yellow A? There’s obviously codes in the system.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The A with a circle is an issue with ESS, here’s how a smart charging system works https://www.redarc.com.au/alternator-vs-fixed-alternator

The JL is not supposed to throw 14 volts all the time, the voltage ramps up on deceleration or braking this reduces the load on the alternator and by design is supposed to improve mileage and increase the life of the alternator, smart charging has been around for along time.

When the IBS sees a battery at close to a full charge it directs the alternator not to throw a lot of voltage and amps to the battery as it’s pointless and only serves to shorten battery life.

I used Jscan for several weeks to turn off the IBS system and I honestly saw no increase in fuel efficiency so turned it back on.

I would have the ESS battery looked at but what does the ESS screen advise since you have a dash display that indicates ESS is not operational ?

Heres some info from the manual on ESS and the circled A error indicator

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start 79B14A23-0908-4376-99DE-9C9CC5D743D8
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start C44ADEB0-4348-4053-B122-D797584AFC5B
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start E6A7EF8A-E356-4D11-9E78-2769727A6257

Reactions: NBB
OP
OP
PanamaJl

PanamaJl

First Name
JeepJLPanama=IG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj on 42s - JlU Rubicon on evo 3.5 lift with km3 37x12.5r17
So today I finally changed the aux battery, no more battery voltage at 12.7! I was going to wait until i received my genesis dual battery set up but im traveling tomorrow so i didnt want to take any chances...oh and my auto start warning light is gone, know i know when that warning light comes again its probably aux battery dead
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start EBC5455A-83CC-40EA-8083-D1BB48A0BAB2

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Is you went as far as to remove the aux battery you could have moved the positive lead to the main and disconnected the ESS negative and it would have worked fine but if you would have done that I would have said don’t use the ESS system as it taxes the main to much, you will like the Genesis system ...

My starting EVIC displayed voltage today was just over 14 but within an hour or so of driving it dropped to 13.1-13.2, don’t be surprised once you get the dual battery system you will see around 13 volts displayed if it’s a daily driver

Sobehall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
In the end all of this is absolutely ridiculous on a brand new vehicle. My wife has a 2019 and she just drove 2 hrs from home and is stuck with no way to start her car, I “had” a 2018 JL and never had these issues and I just got rid of it … replacing batteries because the vehicle isn’t made right is crazy to me … she had a AUX battery alert once and took it to a dealership for them to tell her nothing is wrong and now she’s stranded.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
In the end all of this is absolutely ridiculous on a brand new vehicle. My wife has a 2019 and she just drove 2 hrs from home and is stuck with no way to start her car, I “had” a 2018 JL and never had these issues and I just got rid of it … replacing batteries because the vehicle isn’t made right is crazy to me … she had a AUX battery alert once and took it to a dealership for them to tell her nothing is wrong and now she’s stranded.
Batteries need regular replacement. 3 years is old.

Sobehall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I agree the life of a battery is 3-5 years old … but we just dropped the Jeep off at the dealership and they said their most replaced part on the JLs is Aux batteries … they admit they are crap … the main battery is still good with no signs of end of life … she also recently had maintenance done on the vehicle which comes with a short inspection, and they said nothing was wrong ….

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I agree the life of a battery is 3-5 years old … but we just dropped the Jeep off at the dealership and they said their most replaced part on the JLs is Aux batteries … they admit they are crap … the main battery is still good with no signs of end of life … she also recently had maintenance done on the vehicle which comes with a short inspection, and they said nothing was wrong ….
@Sobehall

Always ask the stealership for a copy of .... or to see, each of (2 of them) load testing result paper read-outs in regard to your batteries.

Talk is talk.. a Service Writer spewing one thng may be far different then the truth...
Sponsored