Jeep won't start - complete dash freak out

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Looked over similar threads but hard to tell if my situation matches. Looking for ideas on what to do next...

1) Tried remote start - didn't work but lights flashed
2) Got in jeep, pressed button - dash says "key fob not in vehicle"
3) Got 2nd key fob, pressed button - dash says "key fob not in vehicle"
4) Press fob into button per dash instruction - no change in OFF to ACC or RUN and still won't start
5) Tried a few more combos of things with no luck - suddenly dash looses is mind (see video below)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vn9Dve7vK375d7gc6
6) Completely non-responsive, won't shut off, wipers going, dash flashing. wtf?

Had to get to work, can't leave it like this, pulled positive lead on battery, and at least the dash & wipers stopped moving. Hoping I get home, reconnect battery and all is good - or my ESS battery will be drained and dead. Fortunately my 17yro WRX still starts...

Additional details...
Tazer JL installed
Just got it back from dealer oil change and recall for steering stabilizer. Drove it home and parked it for 3 days.
Had re-married the Tazer and reset tire size & tpms settings.

Don't really want to blame dealer for an oil change or tazer for being a tazer but that's the recent changes.

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot before calling dealer or potentially even getting it towed there?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Arkewn
Since someone eventually will come in and say ā€˜did ya push in all the fusesā€™. So I will just come out and say it instead.

Did ya push in all the fuses?
Certainly a fair question. I've read that on here several times. I have done the new delivery fuse box check to make sure they are all well seated from the factory - but no time recently. Is it common for them to loosen? I will make sure to start there before I reconnect the battery.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Looked over similar threads but hard to tell if my situation matches. Looking for ideas on what to do next...

1) Tried remote start - didn't work but lights flashed
2) Got in jeep, pressed button - dash says "key fob not in vehicle"
3) Got 2nd key fob, pressed button - dash says "key fob not in vehicle"
4) Press fob into button per dash instruction - no change in OFF to ACC or RUN and still won't start
5) Tried a few more combos of things with no luck - suddenly dash looses is mind (see video below)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vn9Dve7vK375d7gc6
6) Completely non-responsive, won't shut off, wipers going, dash flashing. wtf?

Had to get to work, can't leave it like this, pulled positive lead on battery, and at least the dash & wipers stopped moving. Hoping I get home, reconnect battery and all is good - or my ESS battery will be drained and dead. Fortunately my 17yro WRX still starts...

Additional details...
Tazer JL installed
Just got it back from dealer oil change and recall for steering stabilizer. Drove it home and parked it for 3 days.
Had re-married the Tazer and reset tire size & tpms settings.

Don't really want to blame dealer for an oil change or tazer for being a tazer but that's the recent changes.

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot before calling dealer or potentially even getting it towed there?

Thanks!
Hi Arkewn, I am so sorry to hear about all this! If you do end up going to the dealer, feel free to let us know. We would be happy to get a case manager involved so they can ensure everything goes smoothly and gets resolved.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update - no change after disconnected battery all day. pressed each fuse in - all seemed acceptably solid. tried twice cycling the battery to see if she'd kick on but now the dash just pulses on and off with out actually booting up.

will call dealer tomorrow and would appear be ready to have it towed in.

Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Update - no change after disconnected battery all day. pressed each fuse in - all seemed acceptably solid. tried twice cycling the battery to see if she'd kick on but now the dash just pulses on and off with out actually booting up.

will call dealer tomorrow and would appear be ready to have it towed in.
main and aux battery shot, ill bet a twix bar on it.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I know it wasn't FCA at the time but my Durango would do this when the battery took a shit. I'll bet the other half of @FirecrackerRedJLU twix on it.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I would say both batteries are drained, hard to tell if either or both are bad. Some have been fine after charging the batteries, although it can take a long time to charge them. Given that it may sit at the dealer for a while, I'd would try to charge them before I had it towed. Some have questioned whether drained batteries were Tazer related, but I don't have any experience with the Tazer.

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Checked the battery with a voltmeter based on your suggestions. Down at 5-6v so definitely drained. Had not considered battery since dash/lights came on, even if erratic behavior. Got it on a charger atm - will see if holds a charge and try again.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Checked the battery with a voltmeter based on your suggestions. Down at 5-6v so definitely drained. Had not considered battery since dash/lights came on, even if erratic behavior. Got it on a charger atm - will see if holds a charge and try again.
Just make an appointment and go get them both warrantied out itā€™s not uncommon, that low they wonā€™t charge back up with whatever you try to do, and once that aux goes it basically takes out your main shortly after.

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update - after 2 hours on charger the jeep started up just fine. been driving it around today no problem. twix bars for all who got that one right! will schedule battery diagnostic (hopefully replace) with dealer whenever they call me back. thanks to all who helped!

After thoughts... In what reality does a drained battery cause the vehicle to flip out, console to flash, turn on the wipers, fail to turn off or on properly? Isn't this counter intuitive or the opposite to what should have happened - dead jeep with no starting? I can't imagine if this had happened beyond my garage where I didn't have a tools handy to disconnect the battery. I guess wiper motor would have eventually drained the rest of the battery and it would have shut off. I will need several beers to ponder and accept this new reality....

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Update - after 2 hours on charger the jeep started up just fine. been driving it around today no problem. twix bars for all who got that one right! will schedule battery diagnostic (hopefully replace) with dealer whenever they call me back. thanks to all who helped!

After thoughts... In what reality does a drained battery cause the vehicle to flip out, console to flash, turn on the wipers, fail to turn off or on properly? Isn't this counter intuitive or the opposite to what should have happened - dead jeep with no starting? I can't imagine if this had happened beyond my garage where I didn't have a tools handy to disconnect the battery. I guess wiper motor would have eventually drained the rest of the battery and it would have shut off. I will need several beers to ponder and accept this new reality....
Your Aux battery controls basically most/all electronics inside and itā€™s always the aux that dies first and then will wipe the main out,And your first tell tail sign for drained batteryā€™s is dash AND wipers running very slowly on their own when you canā€™t even start your vehicle . batteries just arenā€™t what they use to be not just Jeep but GMC also have their own dual and or main and aux battery issues too. But glad it starts at least, i would try making sure to go and get those replaced sooner than later. They will still test bad on the machine they use(GR8) just to be safe I would make sure you at least turn stop start off that way you donā€™t catch yourself in a start stop scenario and not having it restart at a intersection or what not. Trust me they wonā€™t even blink an eye if itā€™s a decent dealer itā€™s not uncommon for 18-2020 JLs to have junk batteryā€™s
Sponsored