Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

Lotchs

First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
You have thicker skin than I do. If I waved at someone who then rolled their eyes at me, I'd feel like an idiot. Then I'd motion for them to roll down their window and say something like, "Sorry, I was just trying to get your attention. I saw you picking your nose back there." Then I'd sit there all self-satisfied and chuckle like the 3rd grader I just was and wait for the light to turn green.
Yea, that kinda stuff doesn’t bother me. I’m a happy go lucky kinda person. With a smile always on my face & always having fun. Boo to those uptight people. Life is too short.
Sponsored

Kballard72

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Rubicon unlimited
In places where tourism is heavy,beach areas m, I would not count on a wave. The driver is probably renting and doesn't know.

I say wave at everyone. The moment you stop, one more not waving.

Wave, this is not a club it's a tradition of the driver in a vehicle with a heritage back to WWII

Wave, because if enough do, the new drivers will catch on.

Wave, the other driver may be waiting on you to so they can respond.

Wave, cause you got 7 slots in the grille, doors left in the garage, the rag top down, and though it can be a mechanical problem child, you and the person waving at each other drive the baddest vehicle on the planet.

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
My wife is embarrassed by the Jeep Wave. I did it with her in the car a couple of weeks ago, and she said never to do it when she was in the car again!!! She said I was acting like a teenager.... Well That's another plus.... JEEPS can make you young!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like your wife should be uninvited to any Jeep rides...

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Ok, so I posted here earlier about I wasn't looking forward to the whole wave thing, based on years of dealing with it on motorcycles.

I picked up a Wrangler a week ago. (I went with a JK instead of a JL but that's a different post.) Anyway... on the first evening, the first drive with my wife, I waved at another Wrangler without even thinking about it. My wife asked what I was doing and I laughed. "It's a thing I guess".

Yesterday someone waved and I returned it... and I have to admit it made me smile.

On a related note, a guy at work who has multiple Wranglers found out I bought one so we were talking about them. When he walked away he added "...and get used to waving!"

nittanyjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Since I started reading these posts I started thinking about how few people in my area wave back now compared to when I started driving a Jeep (TJ). There are a lot of Jeeps where I live and I tend to wave almost every time I see one. I started counting the number of waves returned over the last couple of days and so far I have waved at 34 Wranglers on the side roads-I didn't count highways. I had four waves returned. I know it was mentioned already but I definitely noticed that most of the Wranglers I've encountered were JK's. The four Jeeps that returned the wave were TJ, YJ and two JL's.

As KBallard72 stated, I am going to keep waving when I see other Wranglers. My kids love it and some day they want to have a Jeep so they can wave to other Jeepers and be a part of this weird little fraternity of ours.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Reading the comments here makes me think that the Midwest (Chicago in particular) seem to have wholeheartedly embraced the Jeep Wave...it's like almost in the 98%! :turkey:

nittanyjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Driving to my son's hockey practice I saw and waved at nine Jeeps. The wave was returned 8 out of 9 times by JL's and Jk's. Guess it depends on the day around here (was the weekend and not rush hour).

Sponsored

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Awesome! I'll take it. I just got back from Joshua Tree with the wife. We took the Jeep (of course) and had a blast. Although the park is open during the government shutdown, the off-road trails were closed due to weather and poor road conditions. We had heavy rains, intense fog, moments of sun...it was a great trip. I saw a number of Jeeps in and around the park and thought, "Surely, out here I'll get a wave!" Nope. Nothing. I waved and my wife giggled as time after time, I got no response. Oh well. Wave or no wave, I love this Jeep!
I love Joshua Tree!! I got my Jeep in December, but have been too busy with work and other responsibilities to get out there. And yeah, the shutdown didnt help things either. Sucks that you have to have reservations now at Jumbo Rocks, used to be able to go on a non holiday Monday and get a site, now I have to plan ahead, which is hard with work. As far as the wave, hopefully your wife at least waved back at you (even while giggling) when no one else would.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I love Joshua Tree!! I got my Jeep in December, but have been too busy with work and other responsibilities to get out there. And yeah, the shutdown didnt help things either. Sucks that you have to have reservations now at Jumbo Rocks, used to be able to go on a non holiday Monday and get a site, now I have to plan ahead, which is hard with work. As far as the wave, hopefully your wife at least waved back at you (even while giggling) when no one else would.
You have to get out there. There's a lot of press about how the park has been destroyed and will take decades to recover and I'm sure there's been damage but we didn't see it. The park looked great, was well maintained and I can't wait to go back!

And, no, my wife didn't wave. Just giggled. But the other day I got two waves on the drive home. It was unexpected and hasnt happened since. But it was a pleasant surprise.

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
In Portland Oregon and always get the Jeep peace sign flashed.
Vast majority of Portlanders/Oregonians wave. I often see 2-5 Wranglers on my short 15-20 minute morning commute - all the dudes wave (ladies rarely do, but oh well). Makes it easy to start the day with a smile. :rock:

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
I think the reason few jeepers wave back is they damned are too busy looking at their smartphones!!! :angry:

C’on people! Drop the phones, look around, keep up the Jeep Wave!!:jk:

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
I'll wave at a Geo Metro if they're already waving! It's just being polite & courteous. I remember growing up we worked on & drove Volkswagens. Every time we went somewhere we were in an orange bus or a baja bug. We waved at everybody. Was also taught to slow down while passing by others when offroading so your not dusting them out or throwing rocks on them. Always give a little courtesy wave there too. Doesn't get you anywhere to act like some kind of hardass who's too good to acknowledge somebody when you're out in the desert. Maybe it's because so many of us have been cramped up in city traffic that we start ignoring other drivers.

Henderson is right.. people need to put their phones down and pay attention to where they're going!
Sponsored