Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
So... My wife and I took a JL out for a test drive this morning. Got into a V6 Sahara, very similar to what I'm looking for... and as I was driving along trying to turn off the heated steering wheel, someting caught me eye... looked over and it was a two fingered wave from a passing Wrangler. D'oh! I wasn't ready for it... not sure I waved back in time for the driver to see.

Sorry Jeep guys, I wasn't ready... I'll do better next time!

Next we took out a similar Sahara but with a turbo. Driving along thinking about some feature or another when I noticed someone was waving at me again. D'OH! Pretty sure I waved in time for them to see me but it wasn't the secret handshake two finger thing... hopefully they noticed the dealer plates and didn't report me to the Jeep authorities.

Ok, enough already. Get in the game here! I was ready for the next one. Wait for it... wait for it.... What the heck? The maroon didn't wave! The nerve of some people!
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
:cwl:

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So... My wife and I took a JL out for a test drive this morning. Got into a V6 Sahara, very similar to what I'm looking for... and as I was driving along trying to turn off the heated steering wheel, someting caught me eye... looked over and it was a two fingered wave from a passing Wrangler. D'oh! I wasn't ready for it... not sure I waved back in time for the driver to see.

Sorry Jeep guys, I wasn't ready... I'll do better next time!

Next we took out a similar Sahara but with a turbo. Driving along thinking about some feature or another when I noticed someone was waving at me again. D'OH! Pretty sure I waved in time for them to see me but it wasn't the secret handshake two finger thing... hopefully they noticed the dealer plates and didn't report me to the Jeep authorities.

Ok, enough already. Get in the game here! I was ready for the next one. Wait for it... wait for it.... What the heck? The maroon didn't wave! The nerve of some people!
You are not legally bound to do a Jeep Wave until you have purchased the vehicle and signed the paperwork. In fact, it may be illegal to do one until you have attended the required Jeep Wave seminars in Toledo. I could be wrong on that though.

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Nicely done. Now, it's possible the second guy thought you were telling him to get off his phone. I got my first Jeep wave yesterday but it was from a neighbor who was about to get into his Jeep. I suppose that counts. Sort of.
Hey if my Chevy Geo wave counted, your neighbor wave should definitely count. Us SoCal Jeepers have to take what we can get. Besides, its good training for us so we will be ready when we get real Jeep Waves.

Sponsored

Nations

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Granite Crystal Metallic Rubicon XR
Occupation
IT
The same is here on Long Island NY. I wave at every Wrangler I pass only to get weird looks from them.
Agreed...although JL owners usually return the salute. Hopefully, we'll see more once it gets warmer...especially when heading down to SoreThumb.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Hey if my Chevy Geo wave counted, your neighbor wave should definitely count. Us SoCal Jeepers have to take what we can get. Besides, its good training for us so we will be ready when we get real Jeep Waves.
Awesome! I'll take it. I just got back from Joshua Tree with the wife. We took the Jeep (of course) and had a blast. Although the park is open during the government shutdown, the off-road trails were closed due to weather and poor road conditions. We had heavy rains, intense fog, moments of sun...it was a great trip. I saw a number of Jeeps in and around the park and thought, "Surely, out here I'll get a wave!" Nope. Nothing. I waved and my wife giggled as time after time, I got no response. Oh well. Wave or no wave, I love this Jeep!

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
When I placed the order, my dealer told me all about the wave. He made it a point to remind me about the wave and one of the last things he said was "Don't for get to wave." Every time I talked to him, he loved to tell me the about the lady that bought the Jeep wave hand to place on her outside mirror that said Wave Damn It!

Here on the rural Illinois side of the St. Louis area, I probably see about 30 Wranglers everyday and wave at all of them. Some wave some don't.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here I would say half of the Wrangler drivers wave, many of the others I assume were busy and didn't see me or are mall crawlers and don't know the protocol.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Got my first (non-FSJ) wave when I was less than a mile from the dealer with only 11 miles on the odo. Was pleased it was from a nice CJ5. Here in (rural) Western Washington it appears to be about 70%, and even about half the women do it. Let my wife know before she drove it off and she thanked me for that after her first "OK" sign came from a JK.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Soccer moms are taking a beating on this thread! Just so that anyone reading this doesn't get the wrong idea and think that soccer moms never wave from their Jeeps, I was lucky enough to capture a wave from one of them on my dashcam. Here's a screen shot:

Bigfoot.jpg
you know I think I saw that same one in Kentucky.........

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My wife is embarrassed by the Jeep Wave. I did it with her in the car a couple of weeks ago, and she said never to do it when she was in the car again!!! She said I was acting like a teenager.... Well That's another plus.... JEEPS can make you young!!!!!!!!!!

hai5rockin

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, MOAB 19
I wonder and I don't think there is a significant differences between the two fingers piece sign wave or the regular wave when drive. Am I wrong?

I mean... I rather not fall into the ditch while doing it..

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. Avoid the ditches.... well at least along the roadside. If you go through ditches on the trail, and/or on purpose that's different. But to answer the question, no both are absolutely acceptable.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
So I bought my Jeep mid November and the first time my wife drove it was around Christmas in Williamsburg VA where her parents live. I was with her as we were driving down this back road when another Jeep was approaching us.

Me: Oh, there is another Jeep, you have to wave
Her: What? I'm not waving
Me: You have to, it's a Jeep thing.....I forgot to tell you about it. You have to wave...
Her: Not waving.....
>other jeep coming up<
Her: ~Waves~
Me: (thinking to myself 'please other drive, wave...")

Other driver gave the 'Jeep wave' same time my wife waved....She tried not to smile but she did....
Sponsored