Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've read repeatedly about the Jeep Wave and thought it was kind of cool. A fellowship of sorts between like-minded enthusiasts/fans. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I figured it was similar to what I experience on two wheels. I have to say, I'm starting to think it's a myth. It seems no one in my neck of the woods is eager to wave from their Jeep to me in mine. Any of you in Southern California consistently waving and getting waves? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It's half your body out the window with both hands outstretched and enthusiastic jazz hands, right? I'm going to be so embarrassed if it's supposed to be spirit fingers and I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
Here in Alabama I'd say about 85-90 % response. The friendly south.

shicken562

First Name
Efrain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Firecracker Red
Occupation
Service Dispatcher
I live in the Los Angeles area and I have only received a Jeep wave from a guy in an old Chevy Geo Metro, but then I realized he only did it because I let him over in traffic. :) Maybe we should start a SoCal Jeep wavers meetup, so we can drive past each other and wave? Afterwards we could all go to a Starbucks for a Triple, Venti, Soy, No Foam Latte With An Extra Shot And Cream.
I too live in Southern Cali and I have only received at most 3 Jeep Waves. I noticed the majority of girls driving Wranglers (not being sexist) are not too familiar with the wave and instead think I am a creep because I wave to them. Anyways, I always try to give a Wave on all Wranglers I see even though the majority of them won't wave back. It's the thought the counts!!

Sponsored

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
I'm told the "wrangle dangle" was considered but the old timers couldn't agree on what exactly should be dangled. So, they settled for the "Jeep wave."
Ha! I think it should be the "Wrangler Wave!" ....or WW or Dub Dub!! Double dub!! :lol:

Steamer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I am in socal and it depends on your area. Up where I live In fallbrook, I get 75% waves returned and there are lots of jeeps in this area.

When I lived in Rancho Bernardo, I got none. If they aren't modding them and or on the forums, they don't know about it and just think you are weird. :rock:
I’m in Temecula and drive through Fallbrook 2x daily. Have to agree that throughout this area (Fallbrook, Temecula, Murrieta, Idyllwild) I get almost every wave returned and many times I’m slow on the draw and am not the initiator. Good people in this area of CA. Semper Fi!

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
I concur with the 74% in this area. I get a lot more guys wave then women and older jeeps seem to wave more to. Now I usually just give the half wave of the fingers off the steering wheel, so people who don’t wave probably don’t even notice but the people who are looking for it recognize it.
Same here -- I wasn't even thinking about the Jeep wave until I was driving around and at the last minute saw I was being waved at by a another JL driver coming in the opposite direction - I waved back but not sure if it was seen in time. It happened with another driver of an older wrangler, and again, I didn't see the wave until the last second - and I waved back. Now I'm more prepared to wave back when I see the iconic grill/headlights approaching me, and I'd say about 75% of the time I waved at first -- usually fingers or palms raised from the steering wheel.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am on my fourth Jeep (well, I owned a Grand Cherokee too, but it was just Jeep-branded) over twenty-five years, so waving at other Jeeps is an involuntary reflex, just as it is to wave at other bikes when I'm riding on 2 wheels.

In my area, everyone waves at everyone, so only when I'm on a trek is it really a "Jeep Wave"--it is usually just southern, small town friendliness.

If they wave back, great...if they don't, no big deal--I never feel slighted. What I have found is that, regardless of the driver, almost every Jeep smiles back with bright eyes (well, except the angry birds ones...)

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I'm in Northern Virginia just. We rival Los Angeles in traffic and are a huge tech industry. Very expensive area to live in but also not too far from farm land. So most jeeps in this area will never see dirt.

When I'm driving around the city I get a pretty good return on the wave. Even on 2 lane roads from the far side.

Usually when I don't it's a soccer mom driving the jeep.
I live in Alexandria.....confirmed

Sponsored

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Southeastern Utah, On the San Rafael swell.
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2010 Ford Raptor
I drove through Utah and out of the 40 or so jeeps I seen the only one that waved back was a jeep jl.
I drove through Utah and out of the 40 or so jeeps I seen the only one that waved back was a jeep jl.
I live in southeastern Utah and nobody waves here.

SaharaSarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited, Sting-Gray
I'm in central CT and get a wave back about 80% of the time, if not more.
Hey! :like:. Also from CT and I get the same. I just my first Jeep (wanted one since I was 9) 8 days ago. Been lurking on forums for couple yrs now and couldn't wait to have my first experience! I do notice however I have never gotten one from a female either initiated or reciprocated so I just stopped initiating.
My son told me today how much of a nerd we are and that he's telling 'dad' I wave at random men :cwl:.

I wave if I see another Wrangler but sometimes I am concentrating on a turn, on the vehicle in front of me who is busy texting and may stop suddenly, I'm taking a nap (sometimes us old folk get tired), watching a movie, spaced out. So don 't get mad if I don't see you. And I only wave at Wranglers - not Patriots, Libertys, Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Renegades or other pretend Jeeps.
A Renegade waved at me yesterday and that's when I realized that I was unconsciously doing this all of 8 days I've been allowed in the club. Sorry didn't realize I was such a Jeep snob honestly but I really don't like the look of any other Jeeps or consider them to truly be one. From now on I'll be nicer:fingerscrossed:

Also JKs usually do not wave at JL, since JL is just a fancy mall crawler. And TJs do not wave at JKs, since JK is a four door disgrace. And YJs do not wave at TJs, since no leaf spring no jeepie!
Taking notes! Who knew there was so much more to the Wave than just failing around like an idiot, trying to figure out which hand to use and and still be focus on the road, every time you see another Jeep

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
If I were Jeep, I would do something fun on the marketing end with this. Like force all new Wrangler buyers to watch a fun "Jeep Wave" infomercial while they wait for the finance office to get the papers ready, and make them sign a "Jeep Wave" contract.

This would educate the newbies that aren't in the know, and enforce the Jeep branding.
Sponsored