First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I'd say it's about 90% in the Atlanta area. I'm new to this so I'm always getting caught off guard and leaving people hanging.

What happens if you're in Denver and 80% of the vehicles are Jeeps? Do you just drive with one hand?
lol
Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I think I finally got my first wave yesterday. Not certain. Driving home from work and passed a white JK, I casually waved as they were passing on the opposite side. When I looked in my side view mirror I swear I saw his arm/hand moving from above and back down to the steering wheel.

Could have just been scratching his head though...

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Are there wave circumstances where a wave is no practical and excusable if you cant get one off?

For example, you are at an intersection, right at the front waiting on the light. Crossing in the far lane is a Jeep. You wave... How do they give a side wave? Perhaps they cant see you? Sometimes I wont see a Jeep come past me until after they are in front of me, i could have missed a wave there. Or I could be reaching for my cell phone, or reaching to the floor in the back seat to get something my kid dropped.

The only time I can clearly judge if a wave was denied to me is if I am on a 2 lane road (one lane in each direction). On a clear day where you can clearly see the person in the other Jeep. With about 10 car lengths between me and the on coming Jeep I put the hand up and leave it there. Cearly the other person see's me (unless the sun is beaming into their eyes). 6 out of 10 times in that situation i get a return wave.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
So I'm a proud and happy owner of a new JLUR as of 3.14.19....

I live in central florida, we're typically some good ol' nice "country" folk out here. But from the min I drove away from the lot, I've passed over 300 jeeps (total exaggeration but a LARGE number) and not 1 has waved back at me.

What gives? I was wanting to be part of the club immediately. I havent taking Rubi out to play in the woods yet but that's because I'm preparing myself first.

I had 1 jeep creep up on me on the highway. I saw them on the rearview mirror and even let go of the gas, got my hand ready and lowered my window. As they pulled up next to me I look over, smile and lift my arm. It's some chick who looked like she had been staring me down from afar and took a peak, looked away and sped off. Errr!

My girlfriend thinks I'm a doofus and that the wave thing isnt real. I keep telling her it's real but ya'll Florida peeps making this hard.

I am also in Central Florida (Clermont), and drive all over town pretty regularly (10k miles in 6 months just in Florida). It took some learning for me, with regards to the wave. First, like you, I waved at everybody across 6 lanes of traffic on SR-50. Then I realized, that's a bit much.

So, I waved at everything on a 2 lane road, and got maybe 50% participation. So disappointing! Then, I put a red hand on my drivers side mirror, and jumped to 75% participation or so. People now realized that I was into the Jeep.

Put the lift on, and blam - 90%. Don't wash it for a week, and I'm straight to 100%. Freaking everybody waves when it's dirty.

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
When I lived in NJ everyone in a wrangler waved. Now in queens/Long Island, hardly anyone ever.

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Keep in mind that now the cool kids just lift two fingers off the steering wheel. I guess they figure it's not cool to actually lift your hand up anymore.

I really steer with my left hand holding the spoke of the wheel. I just throw up my right hand to wave like a normal person.

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
Keep in mind that now the cool kids just lift two fingers off the steering wheel. I guess they figure it's not cool to actually lift your hand up anymore.

I really steer with my left hand holding the spoke of the wheel. I just throw up my right hand to wave like a normal person.
Thats me. I’m the cool kid. :blush:
Sponsored