Sponsored

Jeep TRUE off-road ruggedized version (base)

jl_misfit

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
The base price of $50k, the fact that you'd be hard pressed to find one at a dealer under $70k, the fact that the tfl guys had to go through 3 of them just to get one offroad for more than 10 minutes (and it still throws check engine lights every time they take it out), the lack of suspension travel, the airbags that have the potential to strand you the second a stick gets kicked up wrong, the British reliability, the much wider sheetmetal. Why would anyone choose a new land rover other than to look tough at the country club? Even former sponsored land rover guys like ronnie Dahl recommend against it. Any vehicle with lockers and ground clearance will go every place a new defender will, and almost all will do it more reliably for far less.
You forgot to mention that the new Defender looks like a Honda Element.
Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I love my old TJ Sport. It was capable of just about anything in its day. No carpet, waterproof seat covers, marine radio and marine speakers. Hosed it out all the time or let natures rain do the work. With just a bikini top it was self cleaning interior on the highway! Ignition gave out years ago and it has a push button start. Fenders rusted out and I made new ones with scrap diamond plate aluminum. Rustoleum camo paint job to boot.

That said, my JL Rubicon is just better without the work. If I wanted to wrench all the time and continue to fix rust I would still just drive the TJ.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
You forgot to mention that the new Defender looks like a Honda Element.
Honda Elements are highly sought after here in California. It's the poor man's reliable utility and home-van

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I like the concept of a bare no frills Off roader but the reality gets in the way. As much as I like the concept I REALLY like my well appointed rubicon. I think I would miss some of the features despite the failure points.

I may end up getting a JT down the road. I priced out one going the bare bones route with a diesel and it didnt cost that much. But can I handle the lack of frills??

jl_misfit

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Honda Elements are highly sought after here in California. It's the poor man's reliable utility and home-van
Haha yeah, I had one when I lived in San Diego. They’re good cars, just not what I’d style a $70k luxury vehicle after.
Sponsored