Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine's getting all fucked up. Dirt comes out of the vents when I roll the windows down.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a breakdown of the Jeep JLUR vs the Powerwagon...

The powerwagon has a 6.4l Hemi... no comparison. 400hp/tq is a big deal.. the jeep 3.6l is downright anemic in comparison. The diesel jeep has 400tq but there are massive downsides...engine weight and emissions stuff. The def tank hangs lower than the muffler on the 3.6l V6. I can idle up inclines with the Powerwagon (4lo notwithstanding). The Jeep struggles.

The powerwagon has 9.25 front diff and 11.5 rear. They are nearly indestructible . You WILL not break these diffs (I've never heard of anyone breaking these diffs), however the 7000lb+ weight of the vehicle requires a front truss. the parts on the powerwagon are massive compared to a jeep and the axle will bend at speed offroad (mainly at the tubes which welding corrects). The Jeep just can't go that fast without breaking things and a lot of $$ put into it.

The powerwagon can tow 10k lbs.. no other off road specific truck can tow that much.

The powerwagon has internal space. It would be comfortable for 8' driver.. jeep? no.

These are tradeoffs to go into smaller spaces and more maneuverability of the Jeep gives you. It's extremely more maneuverable.. that's it's only plus other than rear approach angle.. the front can be fixed.

Corey_

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '87 YJ, '72 CJ5
I've got a CJ5, YJ, JLUR, and Tacoma TRD OR currently. I'd much rather drive the UR. It entirely depends on your build preference. Personally, if I'm just worried about offroading I'd take the JLUR all day every day. Plus for comfort, they sit completely differently. The Taco is a raised car, whereas the Jeep you sit upright.

I only have the Tacoma as a daily/pickup because I don't need a full sized. I had a '12 double cab short bed and it was probably the same size as an unlimited but with less interior room, and the bed was pretty useless unless you want camping gear. I've got a '17 double cab long bed now that is fine, but only has a rear e-locker. The on the fly t-case is nice, but I like having a lever with legitimate control instead of a blinking "in transit" light for the actuator position. I've also had problems with it in snow now engaging.

As far as wheel base, approach, and departure, yeah, Jeep again. Plus you've got plastic on both ends of the truck instead of with the Rubicon's optional steel.

As far as power, the Jeep's V6 is much peppier than my tuned V6.

Resale, arguable. I'd trust Jeep and Toyota over the others. Same goes for reliability.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree! Among SMALL vehicles, the JL/U is without a doubt THE best option. We can get into full size trucks like the raptor/powerwagon but there's no substitute for a solid axles front/rear small suv/truck f/r lockers like the Jeep.. in 2020, NONE. There can be a long discussion about what's better offroad but the Jeep JL is the best.. end of discussion.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I completely agree! Among SMALL vehicles, the JL/U is without a doubt THE best option. We can get into full size trucks like the raptor/powerwagon but there's no substitute for a solid axles front/rear small suv/truck like the Jeep.. in 2020, NONE. There can be a long discussion about what's better offroad but the Jeep JL is the best.. end of discussion.
What about for the full sized trucks? Raptor, Tremor, F-450 FX4, or Power Wagon?

Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I don't know much about the trucks as all I ever had was a cheap Ram 1500 V6 and an ever cheaper '89 S-10, BUT I can tell you my buddy with one of these high-end trucks sits in my passenger seat of my JL when I wheel as his truck length is too long for some or our trails, it has an auto-height adjustment thing he hasn't figured out, and mods are more limited for his truck. He has enjoyed it out on beaches, but not on our in-the-woods rock crawling type trails - all depends on your terrain I guess.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I don't know much about the trucks as all I ever had was a cheap Ram 1500 V6 and an ever cheaper '89 S-10, BUT I can tell you my buddy with one of these high-end trucks sits in my passenger seat of my JL when I wheel as his truck length is too long for some or our trails, it has an auto-height adjustment thing he hasn't figured out, and mods are more limited for his truck. He has enjoyed it out on beaches, but not on our in-the-woods rock crawling type trails - all depends on your terrain I guess.
My favorite type of terrain is rock crawling and pretty steep, loose inclines most of the time; an occasional river crossing. The trails are usually pretty wide though.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What about for the full sized trucks? Raptor, Tremor, F-450 FX4, or Power Wagon?
That's a long discussion.. the new Tremor I like.. I really like it. The Powerwagon of course I have one and it's the hands down best off road truck for rocks and extreme terrain.. The Raptor.. well. My good friend just built the most extreme (15'' TRUE non binding travel) Raptor ($80k on top of the initial price) in the nation. I have a lot of different views that would take a lot of time to discuss.

1591036385222.png

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
The trucks you mention are all pretty good trucks. I had a buddy that traded in his Jeep Rubicon Unlimited for a Colorado thinking it was just as good but would ride better but after a year he regretted the decision.

There is no doubt about the Jeep Rubicon, time and time again all kinds of off road magazines have named it the most capable off road vehicle sold today. There is a reason why the others have not been given that honor. Need I say more ?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
There is no doubt about the Jeep Rubicon, time and time again all kinds of off road magazines have named it the most capable off road vehicle sold today. There is a reason why the others have not been given that honor. Need I say more ?
Here’s a picture that came to my mind after reading what you said. It comes straight from @Metalcloak ....

C61AB38D-2DD5-42F1-9FA5-E15802C38BDE.png

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
That's a long discussion.. the new Tremor I like.. I really like it. The Powerwagon of course I have one and it's the hands down best off road truck for rocks and extreme terrain.. The Raptor.. well. My good friend just built the most extreme (15'' TRUE non binding travel) Raptor ($80k on top of the initial price) in the nation. I have a lot of different views that would take a lot of time to discuss.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon vs. Off-Road Pickups C61AB38D-2DD5-42F1-9FA5-E15802C38BDE
Any pics of said Raptor?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I fail to see the wisdom in bashing a $50,000 Rubicon on a hard trail, let alone a $75,000 Raptor or Power Wagon.

Off-road vehicles have ceased to make sense precisely where they were intended to go, off road.
Because if you're skilled, very little bashing takes place and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon vs. Off-Road Pickups 2C759BE3-4796-4D79-8A62-AF99488E03E8
Sponsored