Jeep production capacity, time killer thread

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
So I've been waiting for my Jeep to go into production for almost two months now. Assuming the current timeline on the JL is accurate they will start production next week.

This lead me to wonder how many Jeeps FCA could pump out per day. To that end I found this article.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/07/15/jeep-wrangler-production-toledo/87142838/

If this is accurate they can make almost 1000 wranglers per day, which seems like a lot to me. But that said I can't imagine people like me who have pre ordered so long ago will be waiting very long once things get going.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So I've been waiting for my Jeep to go into production for almost two months now. Assuming the current timeline on the JL is accurate they will start production next week.

This lead me to wonder how many Jeeps FCA could pump out per day. To that end I found this article.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/07/15/jeep-wrangler-production-toledo/87142838/

If this is accurate they can make almost 1000 wranglers per day, which seems like a lot to me. But that said I can't imagine people like me who have pre ordered so long ago will be waiting very long once things get going.

Thoughts?
Just In Time manufacturing can change what orders can be built depending on parts availabilty

The current backlog on shipping Jeeps that were waiting for soft tops can affect this (I am not sure how quickly they can get back on track)

They can run 4 door and 2 door down the line at the same time (will they focus on 2 door only or introduce them into the line alongside 4 doors?)

Are there any issues with the "non standard" colors as there appears to be with 4 door production?

Those are my thoughts.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I always thought the number was in the 600-800 per day range. Not sure the exact number.

It only takes a day to build a Jeep. It was not unusual to see JKs take 4 weeks total - A week to schedule, a week to get through build, inspection, and shipping out, and 2 weeks to ship. I am sure the JLs will get there too by next year.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

Thoughts?
Depends on how many times they have to re-weld your frame to get the top to stay on.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I always thought the number was in the 600-800 per day range. Not sure the exact number.

It only takes a day to build a Jeep. It was not unusual to see JKs take 4 weeks total - A week to schedule, a week to get through build, inspection, and shipping out, and 2 weeks to ship. I am sure the JLs will get there too by next year.
From when I ordered to took delivery of my JLU it was exactly 4.5 weeks. It seems like Jeep already has it down.... if they feel like it. It really does all come down to luck and is hit or miss. There's some people on the forum who have ordered and taken delivery in as little as 2 or 3 weeks and others who ordered in December and are still in D1. I imagine toward the end of summer orders will consistently be around 4 weeks.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
From when I ordered to took delivery of my JLU it was exactly 4.5 weeks. It seems like Jeep already has it down.... if they feel like it. It really does all come down to luck and is hit or miss. There's some people on the forum who have ordered and taken delivery in as little as 2 or 3 weeks and others who ordered in December and are still in D1. I imagine toward the end of summer orders will consistently be around 4 weeks.
I think it is based on supply chain issues. If they have the parts they can deliver in 4 weeks.

saammm

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and 2018 JL Wrangler
I ordered my 2-door sport s wrangler 8 weeks ago. I recently harassed customer service and i contacted jeep cares because i was told my jeep would arrive in a 6 to 8 week window frame. They just told me that if you ordered a 2-door wrangler production will not start till early April. So now i have to wait an even longer time....

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Besides "PARTS" delays,,, there's also paint color and application--they will try to combine the "LIKE" color production, as many as possible, so
your initiation DATE, isn't a CONCRETE production point--

I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think they can combine the 2dr/4dr on the same production line, because of CP possible failures-at least for MASS PRODUCTION

Whatever

JIMBO

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito

Thoughts?
This is roughly accurate. As a supplier for the JL... We are contracted to lesser amounts but have been asked to provide quotes for almost 1k a day, so they clearly have the capability at the plant to handle it. However suppliers are not contracted at that high yet....current estimates are closer to 250k for this year

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Besides "PARTS" delays,,, there's also paint color and application--they will try to combine the "LIKE" color production, as many as possible, so
your initiation DATE, isn't a CONCRETE production point--

I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think they can combine the 2dr/4dr on the same production line, because of CP possible failures-at least for MASS PRODUCTION

Whatever

JIMBO
Yes, same line.

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I honestly don't know why anyone is waiting at this point, this is ridiculous. My local dealer has so many JL's it's unbelievable, of course no 2 Dr. or tan soft tops yet!
I think the reason we are waiting is that we wanted a 2019 model, either hoping most of the production problems of the 2018s would have been corrected or wanting a new 2019 option (like adaptive cruise control). You won't find any 2019s on your dealer's lot ..

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
By the way I wasn't saying no

Go back and reread my comment, you are confused, I was referencing why are people still having to wait on 2018 orders, not why wait for a 2019, hope that clears it up.
ok, so misunderstanding I guess, Jman did not say what model year he was waiting for, but you probably have it right since he couldn't have ordered a 2019 exactly 2 mos ago, although he could have 7 weeks ago....

BobT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2013 Dart
As far as the 2021 model year, after this week shutdown, we may be seeing 900 Wrangler produced per day with the 3 shifts, correct?

BobT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2013 Dart
I now understand that there is to be 2 ten hour per day shifts, working 6 days per week.
Possibly more than the 900 per day.
Awesome!
Sponsored