First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Why is the Jeep.com "Build" site so slow at offering what everyone in the forum know is available? Surely Jeep has people on staff who can update a couple of webpages.
Sponsored

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
Dave, I've wondered the same thing about all of FCA and various other manufacturers. Honestly, they all seem slow to update options and models in their configurators.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Why is the Jeep.com "Build" site so slow at offering what everyone in the forum know is available? Surely Jeep has people on staff who can update a couple of webpages.
Here's my guess. FCA doesn't so much build things as they design them, outsource the creation of components to 3rd party vendors who specialize in such work (be it soft tops or content rich websites) and then, at least in the case of rigs, connect/assemble these components.

And this isn't a put down but reality..for all vehicle manufacturers these days.

This said, here's what I envision. Some lower level astute analyst at FCA in charge of the website already brought your very concerns up with his or her boss.

"We are not keeping the website up to date with available features," he or she said.

The boss mumbled back, "see my in a few weeks about this." This was codespeak for "I have a budget for this that's only so big. Every time I hit up the web designers for changes I'm charged such a large fee that it is better to bundle changes and hit them up less frequently."

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
Remember, the website is actually a tool for you to see what's currently available at dealerships. That's actually the real reason things take so long to hit the build site. Usually (not always) they want dealerships to have Jeeps available on the lot with the specific accessories/options before posting on the site. You'll see that across the board from pretty much every car company with the exception of Mini who releases all options whether dealers have them available or not.

All that being said - FCA is painfully slow at adding some features to their site.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Kevin, here's where I take issue with either your reasoning, or FCA's adherence to that philosophy if indeed accurate.

First, if it was FCA's goal to actually see (maybe you mean what features, but in the interest of maximizing sales it should be actual rigs too) what's on dealer lots then they should/would update the dealer locater portion of the website. The status of rigs there was widely out of date. And the funny thing is with a little bit of tracking, they could have that database be accurate in real time.

Second, I'm not so sure FCA or other dealers are concerned as much with your dealership experience being one that finds you seeing rigs with near close to all the features you want when you enter the showroom door, as to get you into the door. Were such accuracy the real goal then features not available, like soft top window storage bags, wouldn't be there.

I can't begin to tell you how many dealerships I've been to near me, recently, who don't even have JLs on the lot.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
If you have a good dealership to work with, you can call/email/text your contact and ask them to list out the options currently available for the model you’re interested in. That’s how we were able to update our order with reinforced hinge gate, door sills, and tub liner. I have to say anyone in the Seattle area, Tacoma dodge Jeep has been great to work with.
Sponsored