Sponsored

Is there a difference between dealer flash and Tazer?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I have LED's on front and are okay (I added turns, headlights, on a sport)

Anyway, I was reading somewhere if the dealer flashes your jeep, its a different signal than what the tazers do.

Is there any truth?
Sponsored

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have LED's on front and are okay (I added turns, headlights, on a sport)

Anyway, I was reading somewhere if the dealer flashes your jeep, its a different signal than what the tazers do.

Is there any truth?
No, both the dealer flash and the Tazer changes are identical. The dealer just performs a different process, using "sales codes" to upload the new configuration to an FCA database, which they then download and flash the BCM with. The Tazer goes straight to the BCM and changes the configuration without updating FCA's database or adding the configuration to your build sheet.

Dealers are limited to what they can flash as they can only add the sales codes that show up for your specific VIN. The Tazer, in theory, can change every setting on your Jeep, but of course that functionality has to be added by Joe first.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
No, both the dealer flash and the Tazer changes are identical. The dealer just performs a different process, using "sales codes" to upload the new configuration to an FCA database, which they then download and flash the BCM with. The Tazer goes straight to the BCM and changes the configuration without updating FCA's database or adding the configuration to your build sheet.

Dealers are limited to what they can flash as they can only add the sales codes that show up for your specific VIN. The Tazer, in theory, can change every setting on your Jeep, but of course that functionality has to be added by Joe first.
Also, the dealers charge anywhere from $150 - $200, you can buy a Tazer Lite (which we have) for $219 and then you can do this along with many other things in the future. Go to Zautomotive page and look at teh different flavors and get the one that meets your needs.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-lite/

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Also dealers changes don’t require you to revert to factory every time you take it in.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Tazer can be a bit suspect. There are stories on the threads about people who tazer their vehicles themselves and end up causing more damage then good. Like the jeep not starting. I thought about it but am going to play it safe and try to do my changes legit. I'm not trying to void my warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
And
Tazer can be a bit suspect. There are stories on the threads about people who tazer their vehicles themselves and end up causing more damage then good. Like the jeep not starting. I thought about it but am going to play it safe and try to do my changes legit. I'm not trying to avoid my warranty.
and having to keep up on the ridiculous updates

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And

and having to keep up on the ridiculous updates
Exactly. Its more of a headache, in my personal opinion, then it is a solution. Yes, it can get things working without having to go to the dealer but it comes with risks. Those of which I prefer not to accept on a brand new vehicle that I plan on keeping for a long time. If you take the vehicle to the dealer for maintenance or repairs you have to remember to undo your flash settings and remove the tazer. There was one thread where a guy tried to undo his flash changes prior to taking it in for maintenance and it basically logged all these error codes which the dealer ended up questioning him about. There are advantages such as cost savings. The ability to quickly change dealer settings or tire settings. But if it bugs out on you...oh boy. Good Luck.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. Its more of a headache, in my personal opinion, then it is a solution. Yes, it can get things working without having to go to the dealer but it comes with risks. Those of which I prefer not to accept on a brand new vehicle that I plan on keeping for a long time. If you take the vehicle to the dealer for maintenance or repairs you have to remember to undo your flash settings and remove the tazer. There was one thread where a guy tried to undo his flash changes prior to taking it in for maintenance and it basically logged all these error codes which the dealer ended up questioning him about. There are advantages such as cost savings. The ability to quickly change dealer settings or tire settings. But if it bugs out on you...oh boy. Good Luck.
Thats my issue. I would love the dealer to do it, but man they charge so much for just some stupid reflashes. And I'm pretty sure they won't do the ones to disable ESS etc, Auto Park or any of those potentially safety issues.

And for example I just used my programmer to flash for my 33" tires, then next year when I move to 35's I'll have to do it again. I'd hate to have to go to dealer multiple times and pay for flashes.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thought you guys might find this of interest. I called a dealer here in NC because I was having D44 axles put on and they have the 4.10 gears so the computer needed to be re-programmed. They said they send it across the street to a truck mod place that does work for them so I called the truck mod place. In a nut shell they buy a Tazer, Super Chips or Rough Country unit and set it with that.
So here you go to a dealer and you wind up getting what you guys are trying to avoid. Just recommending you do your due diligence and talk to a dealer to find out EXACTLY what they are going to do and what it will cost.
Also the post above is correct, a dealer won't disable ESS which personally is an abomination IMO and I very much looked forward to getting rid of that "feature".
@omi205 - you do not need to undo any flash changes you made with a Tazer when you go to the dealer. They simply recommend removing the Tazer when taking it to the dealer. When a Tazer is removed the things you have programmed in like gear ratio and tire size are left in the computer because they have been changed inside the computer. The things like turning off ESS will go back to normal because they need to have the Tazer plugged in to function.
Why in the world someone would try to undo his flash changes is beyond me. I put in 4.10 gears and 33" tires, you can't undo that because that is what you are running. Setting those settings back to factory would cause the Jeep to drive horribly. Sounds like that guy doesn't know what he was doing and that's where his problems began.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
@omi205 - you do not need to undo any flash changes you made with a Tazer when you go to the dealer. They simply recommend removing the Tazer when taking it to the dealer. When a Tazer is removed the things you have programmed in like gear ratio and tire size are left in the computer because they have been changed inside the computer. The things like turning off ESS will go back to normal because they need to have the Tazer plugged in to function.
Why in the world someone would try to undo his flash changes is beyond me. I put in 4.10 gears and 33" tires, you can't undo that because that is what you are running. Setting those settings back to factory would cause the Jeep to drive horribly. Sounds like that guy doesn't know what he was doing and that's where his problems began.
I wonder if that is the case with the SuperChips Flash Cal as well.

Sponsored

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought you guys might find this of interest. I called a dealer here in NC because I was having D44 axles put on and they have the 4.10 gears so the computer needed to be re-programmed. They said they send it across the street to a truck mod place that does work for them so I called the truck mod place. In a nut shell they buy a Tazer, Super Chips or Rough Country unit and set it with that.
So here you go to a dealer and you wind up getting what you guys are trying to avoid. Just recommending you do your due diligence and talk to a dealer to find out EXACTLY what they are going to do and what it will cost.
Also the post above is correct, a dealer won't disable ESS which personally is an abomination IMO and I very much looked forward to getting rid of that "feature".
I can see this happening. When I asked my dealer how much they would charge to lift my Sahara (even with Mopar parts) they said I would have to do it somewhere else and that they do not do any of that kinda work...yet they are selling 3 massively lifted Gladiators and 4 massively lifted wranglers out front. Left me scratching my head. The tech said they outsource all that work. So I completely believe your statement. The more I learn about the dealers the more I do not want to work with them but I feel like I have to in order to maintain my mopar max car warranty. Kinda leaves me in pickle. I definitely have reasons to flash my wrangler, like when I put bigger tires, lift it, and add the OEM LED kit...all will require a flash. And I know the dealer will mess it up a few times and charge me $150-200 per flash.

So if I am understanding you correctly. I can flash my vehicle myself, remove the tazer/superchip, and ill be fine? no error codes when they plug the vehicle in at my next check-up?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So those of you that are against Tazer, you are leaving your Jeeps 100% stock? That’s great. The second you do any mod whatsoever the same can be said about that mod. If you think going to a dealer to flash your Jeep for a mod you did is any different then flashing it yourself with a Tazer I think that is very naive. There are plenty of examples for both sides of the aisle on these mods going well and going bad with dealers. Almost as much as democrat vs republican.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can see this happening. When I asked my dealer how much they would charge to lift my Sahara (even with Mopar parts) they said I would have to do it somewhere else and that they do not do any of that kinda work...yet they are selling 3 massively lifted Gladiators and 4 massively lifted wranglers out front. Left me scratching my head. The tech said they outsource all that work. So I completely believe your statement. The more I learn about the dealers the more I do not want to work with them but I feel like I have to in order to maintain my mopar max car warranty. Kinda leaves me in pickle. I definitely have reasons to flash my wrangler, like when I put bigger tires, lift it, and add the OEM LED kit...all will require a flash. And I know the dealer will mess it up a few times and charge me $150-200 per flash.

So if I am understanding you correctly. I can flash my vehicle myself, remove the tazer/superchip, and ill be fine? no error codes when they plug the vehicle in at my next check-up?
Yes, that is my understanding. I have the Tazer mini and we used it to set the gear ratio and tire size. After that we could have removed it but we left it in so that the ESS feature would be disabled. The Tazer remembers the last state of that ESS button and will keep it that way if leave it plugged in.
Sent it off to the dealership for an alignment and forgot to unplug it... no problems. They actually had to go into the factory software and update it to show I now have the AUX switch bank and all of that was done while the Tazer was plugged in. Except for the fact that the service techs thought it would be funny to play with the light show mode of the Tazer so when we went to get the Jeep all of the lights were looking like a disco.
You do need to do updates to Tazer software just like ANY other computer chip out there... even your Jeep as I'm sure you know by now. I have a software update I need to grab to fix a little bug that sometimes the ESS comes back on after start up even though I had it off. Big deal, it's life :) I don't see how the Tazer, or anything else like, that would void your warranty. I would recommend calling Super Chips or emailing Tazer (can't call them) and explain to them what you are looking for and your concerns. Hope this helped.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So those of you that are against Tazer, you are leaving your Jeeps 100% stock? That’s great. The second you do any mod whatsoever the same can be said about that mod. If you think going to a dealer to flash your Jeep for a mod you did is any different then flashing it yourself with a Tazer I think that is very naive. There are plenty of examples for both sides of the aisle on these mods going well and going bad with dealers. Almost as much as democrat vs republican.
I would like to politely disagree. But not entirely. This is why I disagree. If I flash my vehicle and it causes what ever issues: I am shit out of luck, will void my warranty, and pay big $$$. If the dealer does it: I am not at fault, dealer solved the issue, and my warranty is not compromised. So it is not so Republican vs. Democrat as you say. There is sound logic as to why some may want to proceed with caution when flashing their vehicle.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that is my understanding. I have the Tazer mini and we used it to set the gear ratio and tire size. After that we could have removed it but we left it in so that the ESS feature would be disabled. The Tazer remembers the last state of that ESS button and will keep it that way if leave it plugged in.
Sent it off to the dealership for an alignment and forgot to unplug it... no problems. They actually had to go into the factory software and update it to show I now have the AUX switch bank and all of that was done while the Tazer was plugged in. Except for the fact that the service techs thought it would be funny to play with the light show mode of the Tazer so when we went to get the Jeep all of the lights were looking like a disco.
You do need to do updates to Tazer software just like ANY other computer chip out there... even your Jeep as I'm sure you know by now. I have a software update I need to grab to fix a little bug that sometimes the ESS comes back on after start up even though I had it off. Big deal, it's life :) I don't see how the Tazer, or anything else like, that would void your warranty. I would recommend calling Super Chips or emailing Tazer (can't call them) and explain to them what you are looking for and your concerns. Hope this helped.
This does help significantly. Thanks!!!! I am more open to the idea now.
Sponsored