Pretty sure tazer did not unmarry and Jeep is at the dealer

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Dropped the Jeep off last night at the dealer and I pulled the Tazer, plugged the security bypass back in, I did select unmarry BUT I did not do a reboot! I am out of town and I just thought about this, the dealer is replacing the HVAC module tomorrow and I would THINK they have to re program the computerā€¦..I have no way to unmarry the tazer before they do this, anyone have any idea how bid of an issue this is going to be?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have no way to unmarry the tazer before they do this, anyone have any idea how bid of an issue this is going to be?
If you truly didn't unmarry and the dealer performs a flash/update, you will lose it when you unmarry as that process restores the vehicle back to the state it was in before your married the Tazer.

I'd get a hold of the dealership ASAP and find out exactly whether or not they are going to flash the vehicle.

Clackalack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I don't own a Tazr, but have contemplated it. I see people talking about unmarrying before taking it to the dealer, but had been under the impression it was too not violate the warranty or something.
What does is the potential issue here?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I don't own a Tazr, but have contemplated it. I see people talking about unmarrying before taking it to the dealer, but had been under the impression it was too not violate the warranty or something.
What does is the potential issue here?
If the dealer service folks flash the system with an update and the Tazer is married to the system when you get it back that Tazer is still married to that vehicle even though most if not all changes made by it have been overwritten by the flash update so when you plug the Tazer in and unmarry it the info that was originally stored on the Tazer as a backup will overwrite the most recent flash update thus defeating what the dealer did.

The above is my understanding of the process but Iā€™m not 100% sure thatā€™s how it works maybe @jludave can confirm.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
If the dealer service folks flash the system with an update and the Tazer is married to the system when you get it back that Tazer is still married to that vehicle even though most if not all changes made by it have been overwritten by the flash update so when you plug the Tazer in and unmarry it the info that was originally stored on the Tazer as a backup will overwrite the most recent flash update thus defeating what the dealer did.

The above is my understanding of the process but Iā€™m not 100% sure thatā€™s how it works maybe @jludave can confirm.

You are correct. As it turns out the tech that is working on it is a member of the local hero club and knows how to use the taser. My wife is running it up there and he is going to unmarry it for me while she waits. šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@WranglerMan is correct.

When the Tazer is married to the vehicle, it makes a copy of the vehicle settings at that point in time.

When the Tazer is unmarried, it restores that copy of the vehicle settings back overwriting anything there at that point in time.

So the issue with leaving the Tazer married is that if a dealership performs a vehicle flash/update to fix an issue, that dealer flash is overwritten as soon as the Tazer is unmarried from the vehicle.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct. As it turns out the tech that is working on it is a member of the local hero club and knows how to use the taser. My wife is running it up there and he is going to unmarry it for me while she waits. šŸ˜Ž
That Sir is a sweet dealā€¦kudos to the Tech.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeep&dogs and @jludave this is why I like JSCAN.

JSCAN is not nearly as refined as the Tazer on several levels but there is no worries on the whole marry/unmarry process causing issues as with JSCAN if the system gets flashed and you lose all your changes you just go in and write them over but restoration from JSCAN along with a few other things like disabling ESS is not as refined as the Tazer.

ZAuto has a very refined product that has excellent support compared to JSCAN which requires more input from the user and the biggest issue I have with JSCAN is there explanation of what a particular feature does as they donā€™t have per say a user manual thatā€™s detailed but they are fairly quick to respond to questions, alot in JSCAN is geared for ā€œTechiesā€ but my rule of thumb for using it is if you dont know what it does dont change it šŸ˜‰

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I Was told after I regeared that Iā€™d get a transmission code if I didnā€™t change the ratio with the tazer right away. Iā€™ve wondered since about how you un marry the tazer and still get to the dealer or how the dealer can test drive my rig without a CEL popping up. Anybody have a problem with this?

Sorry if this derails this thread.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I Was told after I regeared that Iā€™d get a transmission code if I didnā€™t change the ratio with the tazer right away. Iā€™ve wondered since about how you un marry the tazer and still get to the dealer or how the dealer can test drive my rig without a CEL popping up. Anybody have a problem with this?

Sorry if this derails this thread.
@av8or
@jludave -for your data base 8-)

Best bet is to get within a mile or so of the stealership and then unmarry your Tazer JL... then proceed to stealership.

With the JL/JT Rubi , you will only see a ā€œService AWDā€ thrown if you put it in 4 low .
Otherwise speedo will just be off.

With the Wrangler JK, it would go into limp mode ..... not so with a JL.

With that said, stealership tech would only see a ...ā€œService AWDā€ if he put it in 4 low and drove it...

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
can this also happen with the flashcal? Asking for a friendā€¦ lol
obviously the flashcal doesnā€™t stay connected in addition I donā€™t keep the bypass module connected. Also when people use the term unmarry youā€™re basically saying return to stock correct? The lingo confuses me

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
can this also happen with the flashcal? Asking for a friendā€¦ lol
obviously the flashcal doesnā€™t stay connected in addition I donā€™t keep the bypass module connected. Also when people use the term unmarry youā€™re basically saying return to stock correct? The lingo confuses me
Not sure on the flash cal but yes unmarried returns it to stock

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I forgot to return mine to stock when I took it in to get the steering box replaced, which included updating the software. No one said a word about the changes I made with the Tazer, but all those changes were reverted back to stock after the software update. I just had to re-taze everything when I got it back.

Edit: Probably should add none of my changes required leaving the Tazer in the port. Mine were just speedo, tire size, and lights to LED.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I forgot to return mine to stock when I took it in to get the steering box replaced, which included updating the software. No one said a word about the changes I made with the Tazer, but all those changes were reverted back to stock after the software update. I just had to re-taze everything when I got it back.

Edit: Probably should add none of my changes required leaving the Tazer in the port. Mine were just speedo, tire size, and lights to LED.
If you didn't unmarry the Tazer before your dealer did their software update/flash, the next time you do unmarry the Tazer you will lose the dealer update/flash as the Tazer will revert everything back to the state the vehicle was in when the Tazer was married to it (which did not include the dealer update/flash).

It doesn't matter if the changes you made required the Tazer to remain connected or not.
Sponsored