OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have always been a person who relished opening new items (Especially Electronics), something about the smell bla bla blah. I even take the time to read the manual just to prolong the opening process. So it is now occurring to me why the hell would I let myself miss this beautiful opportunity to do a massive unboxing/wrapping of my brand new Jeep. sf5211 you sealed the deal by showing all the wrapping on the interior, I definitely want to be the one to take that off. Oh hell yeah.....
I know can't be the only one who feels passionate about this. This actually adds a new exciting dimension to buying a new vehicle. I think we should come up with a name/term for this like:

• Bought it wrapped
  • Bought it raw
  • Requested the wrapped option
  • Bought it sealed
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The dealer unwraps it partly to check for shipping damage anywhere on the Jeep. If you take it home wrapped up and then discover damage done to the paint, which does happen, it can be difficult to get the dealer to fix it at that point. That being said, I do have client regularly ask us not to unwrap it and detail it because they wish to take it to their own detailer.
Great so I'm not a weirdo for suggesting this...

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I don’t think it’s too much to ask, you are spending a lot of $$ so the dealer should honor your request.
But for a lot of us, we look at it as a “luxury” to not have to deal with unwrapping it and the dealer was doing us a favor.

also put me in the club where my Jeep was off-road in the first 750 miles, and it only took me that many because I had to drive 350miles to get to the off-roading first ;)

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Mine was unwrapped in Portland, given the inspection, the defect is hard to see but it's like the sticker re-formed the window.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it too much to ask? Deformed window
, driven to Tacoma, placed on a boat, shipped to Oahu and shipped again to Maui, all with only 1 problem. The shipper placed a sticker on the driver side side window that somehow deformed the plastic window, weird. The dealer (Lithia Chrysler, Jeep, Ram in Portland) was great about it. They sent me a new window right away and claimed it against the shipper. Great dealer, easy purchase. The Jeep is perfect, go figure after all that travel.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I like to remove the radio screen covers myself, but that's it.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Mine was unwrapped in Portland, given the inspection, the defect is hard to see but it's like the sticker re-formed the window.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it too much to ask? Deformed window
, driven to Tacoma, placed on a boat, shipped to Oahu and shipped again to Maui, all with only 1 problem. The shipper placed a sticker on the driver side side window that somehow deformed the plastic window, weird. The dealer (Lithia Chrysler, Jeep, Ram in Portland) was great about it. They sent me a new window right away and claimed it against the shipper. Great dealer, easy purchase. The Jeep is perfect, go figure after all that travel.
The top one looks like some kind of Alien glyph...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My salesman was a bit surprised that I declined the offer to have my new JLU go through "recon" as we were attending to the paperwork.

The shipping plastic had already been removed from the seats, etc., and the vehicle passed my pre-purchase visual exam and test drive. It had a full tank of 93, and I knew that I'd want to fuss over the rig from stem to stern when I got home, so I wasn't concerned. More to the point, the cold late October drizzle that was coming down at the time meant that the new Jeep would be truly clean only until I pulled out of the lot.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded removing/processing said seat plastic, etc. myself as part of a personal "unwrapping" ritual. The point about me possibly being liable for damage discovered after the fact is a valid one, though, so I didn't let the lost opportunity bother me.

To be frank, I just don't have a great level of trust for the dealer staff that are charged with prepping a vehicle for delivery. Having seen the results of their half-assed work on prior vehicle purchases -- it's always rushed -- I knew I was giving away very little value when I declined their token wipes with an old rag.

Otherwise, though, I agree completely with the spirit of @Spearmin 's thoughts on the matter. (It must be said that his thread title was a bit clickbaity, though. :) )
Sponsored