Interior squeak noise solved

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Hello all, I just wanted to share my journey to solve an interior squeaking noise that I lived with for over a year. I purchased a 2021 jl eco diesel in October of 2020. The noise was there the day I drove it off the lot, however slightly lower in decibels and less frequent. I originally was so excited about my dream purchase that the noise didnā€™t bother me to much, but as time went on it begun to drive me nuts. This noise (See the Video I posted below for noise)was located in the ā€œb pillarā€ area up high. After taking the hard top on and off multiple times including some of the interior trim, I was unable to locate the noise. I broke down and decided to take the Jeep to the dealership. Two visits later, the dealership claimed to solve the mystery. Nope. The noise continued. The dealer requested the Jeep to go to a local body shop for the fix. I decided to give it one more attempt to find the problem cause really ā€œ take it to a body shop.ā€
I finally figured it out. The problem was kind of in front of us the whole time. Behind the black weather seal on the top of the B pillar was a dent from the factory. The B pillar has multiple layers of sheet metal and this dent was causing the two layers to rub during any body flexing. Even bumps in the road. As shown In the picture, I hammered in a plastic trim tool to gap the two metal layers. Sorry for the long post but thought it might help someone who might be dealing with a similar issue.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@SCOverlander

Great that you came to the forum and posted regarding this issue.

For sure, if your JLU had the issue, other forum member's will undoubtedly see the same issue with their JLU. Your post will really be helpful to others.

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I got a tick up near the driver side window slides into the jam that I cannot figure out for the life of me. Havenā€™t taken it to the dealer yet because they ā€œwouldnā€™t be able to locate the problemā€ and it would be a complete waste of my time. But, it drives me nuts sometimes.

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I got a tick up near the driver side window slides into the jam that I cannot figure out for the life of me. Havenā€™t taken it to the dealer yet because they ā€œwouldnā€™t be able to locate the problemā€ and it would be a complete waste of my time. But, it drives me nuts sometimes.
Totally understand. My dealer was unable to find it and referred me to the body shop. If your Jeep is still under warranty, it might be worth wild, but only if you can handle the logistics of multiple dealerships visits, taking Uber home, trying to find a ride back, and wasting your day off of work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Sorry to hear it. I lived with mine for a year. And as I got rid of one annoying noise another pops up.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@SCOverlander, while I don't have any noises, I applaud your efforts and thanks for posting this.

Fitment noises drive me out of my mind.

Wind, road noise? Sure, it's a Jeep. Creaks and squeaks....and I'm ready to murder someone.
Agreed!!! There is a tiny creak inside my driver door right below my head and most of the time itā€™s not there but it pops up once in a blue moon when Iā€™m driving and itā€™s the most annoying thing ever. Itā€™s rare enough that I donā€™t waste time tearing down the door but when it appears it writes me nutsšŸ˜‚

Rubi Bluez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hydra Blue Rubicon Unlimited 392
Occupation
Fed at USG
Dent photo

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior squeak noise solved DD027B64-5CCA-4102-9CCB-6A5960C16AEE
It appears I have the SAME issue! Squeaking/ rubbing kind of noise near the side of my head. First my driver's door did it. When I'd open the door while it was in motion, the noise went away. As soon as I closed it, the noise came back. If I jammed my fingers between the closed door and the door jam, it went away. Took it to the dealer who punted it to the local body shop. They claimed to have adjusted the striker, and the noise went away. A couple months later, now the passenger's front door is doing it. I'm going to look at the sheet metal when I go home after work! Do you have a side view of how you shoved that trim tool in there for a better view?

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I have the exact same noise on my right hand drive JLR. I hunted high and low but could not find the cause.

Thanks for sharing, I will have a look at the sheet metal but can you post more pictures?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Sorry I donā€™t have anymore pictures. If you take off or fold up the rubber weather stripping you can see where I shoved the blue plastic trim tool to gap the sheet metal.
these noises drive me nuts. I have another one on the dash to find. Yes I donā€™t mind wind noise or hardtop noises because they are supposed to be there. Itā€™s a Jeep. But noises that come from poor construction- Not.

Rubi Bluez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hydra Blue Rubicon Unlimited 392
Occupation
Fed at USG
Ugh. Noises drive me nuts as well. I made the mistake of buying one with the Sky One touch roof. Lots of noises, but this one is really bad, and it's in both front doors now. This is my first Jeep, and I love it, but this is one in a LONG list of problems I've had since purchasing it last summer. I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to regret this purchase :(
Sponsored