First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, ordered ('21 JLUR)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
Hi everyone. I may be thick as pig shit but I cannot find a video of a grille removal on a JL or even a JT with the integrated front-facing camera! I'm a visual learner. Would anyone be willing/able to post a video of a grille removal starring the front-facing camera? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Its not all that much different than without the camera. I just did this last weekend because I was hoping to put the black satin grill on (spoiler alert: it doesn't work there are no mounting points for the camera on the aftermarket part).

Anyway - you pop the grill off just like you would without the camera there. Jeep gave us plenty of slack that you are highly unlikely to break anything. Tilt the grill forward and disconnect the washer fluid first. Then (facing the front) on the lower right side is where the disconnect for the electrical/video cable is located. Its a basic clip holding the two connecters together just push it in the right spot and the clamp will open and you are free to pop off the entire front grill now. Side note: you can pop out the entire bottom portion of the grill to get some extra room to work.

The hardest part for me was finding the spot to push on the clamp for the electrical. Combination of poor lighting and poor eyesight made it harder than it should have been. Sorry I know you were hoping for a video but hopefully this helps.

OP
OP
TheConquerorWorm

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trouble Maker
Sorry I know you were hoping for a video but hopefully this helps.
This is helpful, thank you for the reply. Were you able to install the new grill eventually or did you reinstall the factory?

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
This is helpful, thank you for the reply. Were you able to install the new grill eventually or did you reinstall the factory?
I actually ended up returning the Mopar Black Satin Grill and using plastidip for a similar effect. I have used plastidip in the past and if you apply it with some patience and several light coats you will be hard pressed to find a flaw in it. Best part of it all is that if I get tired of it I can just peel it off and go back to factory color.

I reached out to Quadratec on the issue and they had not heard of it before - hopefully they update the product description. Not surprising since it seems a small percentage of people run the front-facing camera.

OP
OP
TheConquerorWorm

TheConquerorWorm

First Name
Rusty S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trouble Maker