Instructions on how to remove front seats

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Granite Crystal Metallic
I will be installing an aftermarket seat heaters kit on my JLUR and I’m having a hard time finding guided instructions on how to remove the front seats and the leather to place the heating pads inside.
If anyone could point me in the right direction I’d very much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Mauro
Sponsored

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I think it's just 4 40-Torx bolts and two connectors that need to be disconnected to remove the seats. I took out the passenger one to install a USB power plug and ran it through the center console. The seat was pretty easy to remove, the connector was a little stubborn, but with patience you can get them out.

OP
OP

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Granite Crystal Metallic
I think it's just 4 40-Torx bolts and two connectors that need to be disconnected to remove the seats. I took out the passenger one to install a USB power plug and ran it through the center console. The seat was pretty easy to remove, the connector was a little stubborn, but with patience you can get them out.
Thank you.
Any steps to perform to avoid issues with side airbags?

Cheers

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
No issues with the side air-bags. Just be sure to disconnect the battery (both of them) 30 minutes before working on any electrical system.

mjwilson12379

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thank you.
Any steps to perform to avoid issues with side airbags?

Cheers
Hey, how'd your install go? Planning to put mine in the front seats as soon as this DC area heat goes away. Where did you wire it into? How'd you mount your switches and any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored

JL2021guy

First Name
JL2021guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 3.6
Occupation
Jeep fun
No issues with the side air-bags. Just be sure to disconnect the battery (both of them) 30 minutes before working on any electrical system.
By both you mean also aux batt? The aux is responsible for airbags ?

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
By both you mean also aux batt? The aux is responsible for airbags ?
I’m extremely curious as well. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes prior to working on the electrical system? What for?

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I am thinking to do the same and wondering do I really need to disconnect the battery since there is also an Aux battery to supply the power. Now it begs the questions on how to disconnect the aux battery.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I am thinking to do the same and wondering do I really need to disconnect the battery since there is also an Aux battery to supply the power. Now it begs the questions on how to disconnect the aux battery.
Any time you deal with airbags you need to disconnect the batteries. Yes, both. Remove the negative terminal from the main battery, then disconnect and separate the other 2 leads from that. You must keep these separate to fully disconnect both batteries.

Reactions: zyt

fvrdfshrmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU
I would love to hear how this install went. I have to remove my drivers seat to see if I can repair the jacking mechanism inside the base. Let me know if there are any sticking points to watch out for.

Sponsored

Natrodomus

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Just did mine a few times . Disconnect battery . Four torx bolts per seat, two sensors per seat .

they weigh more than you expect watch the metal feet to not claw up interior .

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have never disconnected the battery. I have pulled my seats many times to clean the inside and clean the seats or to install stuff.

badge171

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler JLU Rubicon , 1979 CJ 5
Occupation
Fire Department Deputy Chief Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You do not have to disconnect the battery to remove the seat or seats, unless your smashing the front end or tripping the sensor some how. If you want to see a detailed description on replacing the oem cover search Katskin leather for Jeep . Not sure of the shop , but one does a great job on tear down and recover.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You do not have to disconnect the battery to remove the seat or seats, unless your smashing the front end or tripping the sensor some how. If you want to see a detailed description on replacing the oem cover search Katskin leather for Jeep . Not sure of the shop , but one does a great job on tear down and recover.
I had a local upholstery shop pull my seat covers off and replace all the factory foam with quality gel memory foam. He made the foam as thick as he could and still use the factory seat cover. My seats are 16 hour+ multiple days in a row comfortable.

It cost me $700. I dropped my Jeep off mid morning and had it back mid afternoon the same day.

fvrdfshrmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU
Dang that sounds nice. Have to put that one on my wish list. I did find a video on it. Gonna take it in to local dealer and see if it may possibly be warranty work. Fingers crossed. Was on long trip recently and noticed that my START/STOP not ready .... battery charging message was coming up. Never had any trouble with starting the Jeep but made me nervous being several hundred miles from home with no real tools to work with. Thanks for the info guys.
Sponsored