How to remove Cigarette lighter?

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would like to explore removing the cigarette lighter and putting a Redarc trailer brake controller in it's place. Does anyone know how to do this before I break something trying. I have thought about about going to a car stereo shop for advice.
Sponsored

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
I would like to explore removing the cigarette lighter and putting a Redarc trailer brake controller in it's place. Does anyone know how to do this before I break something trying. I have thought about about going to a car stereo shop for advice.
Don't know if you ever did this or not but I just finished my install . I installed my controller for it just below the gear shift.

20190126_143809.jpg

20190126_143830.jpg

OP
OP
RonAZ

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like your install. I just got home from a camping trip. I found this brake controller to be the smoothest electric controller I have used.
If I press the trailer only brakes, it throws a stability code on the dash. Have to restart to clear this. Normal foot braking does not through the code. I will probably just live with this small problem.
I might move my button to your location from under the steering wheel where I put it.
Thanks for the posting.

OP
OP
RonAZ

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep engineers at Easter Jeep Fest last year told me the reason for not putting a brake controller in the wrangler, only the female plug, is that they ran out of places to put it in the Rubicon. This might be one solution for them to include the controller with the tow package as a second option.

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Don't know if you ever did this or not but I just finished my install . I installed my controller for it just below the gear shift.

20190126_143809.jpg

20190126_143830.jpg
Buyer beware, this knob install location only works on a JL with manual transmission..... ask me how I know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RonAZ

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for the info. I was just about to attempt to move mine to that location. I have 8 speed auto.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I did replace my cig lighter outlet with a dual USB charger, so i did remove the factory outlet - if you still want that option. Details in my build thread.

JPMcNown

First Name
John-Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
The TLDR on removing the 12v accessory/cigarette outlet is, break it. Rip that thing to shreds with a pair of pliers and/or Dremel. There may be a more legit way to remove it, but I've never met anyone that could demonstrate how.
Sponsored