Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The new mopar trailer tow lighting kit part #82216359AA does not require one to take off interior trim parts since the wire now runs through the frame on the exterior of the vehicle.

I bought the part and will be doing the install soon, but I cant find much info on it. All ive seen has been guides and a vid from quadratec on the old harness.

Anyone who has done the install of the new kit has any suggestions? tips?
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking to do the same thing. I’m trying to find a plug and play wiring harness, is this plug and play?

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I’m looking to do the same thing. I’m trying to find a plug and play wiring harness, is this plug and play?
If you need 4pin, get an aftermarket one, much easier install.

This is 7pin, allows you to have a brake controller. Not sure what you would call plug and play. The Mopar wiring harness takes time to install and it seems somewhat involved. Doesnt seem too hard. The old harness was a royal pain because you had to run the wires inside the jeep and remove a bunch of panels. The new one runs along the frame, so it seems to be easier.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have read the dealer needs to program for the new harness, Any truth to this? I dont see why they would, it's just attached to the fuse box. but I have seen a couple people say the same thing.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I just looked at the instructions because I need to do the same project, lots of pictures with no words. I think I'll just get a quote from my dealer :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I just looked at the instructions because I need to do the same project, lots of pictures with no words. I think I'll just get a quote from my dealer :LOL:
Yeah thats why I opened this post lol. No words at all. I dont think it is that difficult though. I might do it this weekend. Ill post if I am successful

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2013 C63 AMG
Occupation
Technology
Yeah thats why I opened this post lol. No words at all. I dont think it is that difficult though. I might do it this weekend. Ill post if I am successful
Would love to hear how this turns out for you. I did add an aftermarket trailer hitch but have not yet added any wiring, the the older 7 pin seems like a bit of a hassle so I planned on just doing the 4 pin... but if this turns out to be somewhat straightforward, perhaps go for it.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Would love to hear how this turns out for you. I did add an aftermarket trailer hitch but have not yet added any wiring, the the older 7 pin seems like a bit of a hassle so I planned on just doing the 4 pin... but if this turns out to be somewhat straightforward, perhaps go for it.
So I ended up doing this. Months later. I followed the instructions because this kit is different than the old one and there are no videos on this kit. It isnt too bad but you need to pay attention to instructions. I did ran the wire outside of the jeep, right next to the frame under the body passenger side. Quadratec has a video for the old harness, you can use this as reference. You can also still buy the old kit. I really dont know why Mopar makes two kits. I believe the old kit is also more expensive.

1) disconnect the battery. Then you take off the tail lights and unplug the connectors. Quadratec video shows how to do this. It is pretty trivial.
2) run the main harness through the passenger taillight and out to the underbody of the jeep. This is different than the old harness, which goes inside the Jeep.
3) you run part of the wire harness through the rear bumper and into the driver taillight and the other part of the wire behind the rear passenger fender liner and then throughout the side of the passenger frame. This is the trickiest part imo because you have to remove the fender inner liner. And you need to make sure the wire is not in the way of moving parts or parts that get hot. I did not remove the tire to get the fender liner off, but it would make the job easier. The instructions show an alternate route for the wire that does not require you to remove the liner. I decided to do the behind the liner one because i go offroading a lot and it seemed the safest one and out of the way of rocks.
4) you reach the front of the vehicle and the wire needs to go inside the front passenger fender liner up to the battery. For this you need to partially remove the front inner fender liner and fish the wire up to the battery. You can use a hanger to achieve this. But i simply used a small rope and little pliers to pick it up from the top and pull.
5) you connect the power and ground wires as shown on the instructions.
6) place the ECU inside the passenger tail light and connect the harness connectors as explained in instructions (this is trivial).
7) the wires you move across the bumper and into the drivers tail light need to connect to the tail light oem wires. The kit includes a separate small wire harness that has a female and male connectors. The male connector is missing a pin and the female a hole. The wires that are in the main harness have the pin and the hole that go in the small harness. You need to remove the covers from both connectors before you place the pin and hole where they go. For the male connector I used small pliers and pulled it off. For the female connector I used a small pick hook. Then you can complete the small harnes, put the covers back, and connect to the oem tail light harness.
8) now you gotta put together the 7pin female plug as it doesnt come assembled. There are 7 cables in the main wire harness with different colors. The instructions say exactly where each one of them go. One by one and youll finish the 7pin connector. There is a little gray cover that goes over the cable to hold them all in place. It is a bit of a pita to get on, but it goes on and clicks in.
9) you bolt the 7 and 4 pin connectors holder to your frame right next to the hitch and plug in your 7pin you just put together.
10) plug back the battery power and your fender liners and youre all done!

Took me about 4~6 hrs. I took my time figuring out the instructions. They have no words. But it is somewhat straightforward.

The thing is. You can still run the wire through the interior of the jeep if youd like. If you dont want to mess with the fender liners. I think both ways it is time consuming. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Fullfree

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe MY22, Volvo XC60
So I ended up doing this. Months later. I followed the instructions because this kit is different than the old one and there are no videos on this kit. It isnt too bad but you need to pay attention to instructions. I did ran the wire outside of the jeep, right next to the frame under the body passenger side. Quadratec has a video for the old harness, you can use this as reference. You can also still buy the old kit. I really dont know why Mopar makes two kits. I believe the old kit is also more expensive.

1) disconnect the battery. Then you take off the tail lights and unplug the connectors. Quadratec video shows how to do this. It is pretty trivial.
2) run the main harness through the passenger taillight and out to the underbody of the jeep. This is different than the old harness, which goes inside the Jeep.
3) you run part of the wire harness through the rear bumper and into the driver taillight and the other part of the wire behind the rear passenger fender liner and then throughout the side of the passenger frame. This is the trickiest part imo because you have to remove the fender inner liner. And you need to make sure the wire is not in the way of moving parts or parts that get hot. I did not remove the tire to get the fender liner off, but it would make the job easier. The instructions show an alternate route for the wire that does not require you to remove the liner. I decided to do the behind the liner one because i go offroading a lot and it seemed the safest one and out of the way of rocks.
4) you reach the front of the vehicle and the wire needs to go inside the front passenger fender liner up to the battery. For this you need to partially remove the front inner fender liner and fish the wire up to the battery. You can use a hanger to achieve this. But i simply used a small rope and little pliers to pick it up from the top and pull.
5) you connect the power and ground wires as shown on the instructions.
6) place the ECU inside the passenger tail light and connect the harness connectors as explained in instructions (this is trivial).
7) the wires you move across the bumper and into the drivers tail light need to connect to the tail light oem wires. The kit includes a separate small wire harness that has a female and male connectors. The male connector is missing a pin and the female a hole. The wires that are in the main harness have the pin and the hole that go in the small harness. You need to remove the covers from both connectors before you place the pin and hole where they go. For the male connector I used small pliers and pulled it off. For the female connector I used a small pick hook. Then you can complete the small harnes, put the covers back, and connect to the oem tail light harness.
8) now you gotta put together the 7pin female plug as it doesnt come assembled. There are 7 cables in the main wire harness with different colors. The instructions say exactly where each one of them go. One by one and youll finish the 7pin connector. There is a little gray cover that goes over the cable to hold them all in place. It is a bit of a pita to get on, but it goes on and clicks in.
9) you bolt the 7 and 4 pin connectors holder to your frame right next to the hitch and plug in your 7pin you just put together.
10) plug back the battery power and your fender liners and youre all done!

Took me about 4~6 hrs. I took my time figuring out the instructions. They have no words. But it is somewhat straightforward.

The thing is. You can still run the wire through the interior of the jeep if youd like. If you dont want to mess with the fender liners. I think both ways it is time consuming. It is what it is.
Hi Entropy:
Sorry for bothering you but I have a question, when you connect t something tho the 7pin connector, the parking sensors disconnected automatically? Do you have any info in your screen?
Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi Entropy:
Sorry for bothering you but I have a question, when you connect t something tho the 7pin connector, the parking sensors disconnected automatically? Do you have any info in your screen?
Thanks a lot.
I dont have parking sensors so i dont really know. When I connect to the 7pin nothing happens. But my brake controller turns on.

Sponsored

Fullfree

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe MY22, Volvo XC60
I dont have parking sensors so i dont really know. When I connect to the 7pin nothing happens. But my brake controller turns on.
Many thanks! đź‘Ś

ZaneBorry

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport 2 door
I have read the dealer needs to program for the new harness, Any truth to this? I dont see why they would, it's just attached to the fuse box. but I have seen a couple people say the same thing.
I have the same question