Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Looking to purchase a small ~1000lbs camper trailer to tow with my 2D JL. The one I am looking at has the options to add electric brakes for $300. This seems like a no brainer to me, towing with a shortwheel wrangler having brakes on the trailer will make it a lot easier and safer. The issue is I didn't get the factory tow package, looking at all the wiring harness online they are all 4 pin and I will need a 7pin for the brakes.

I know the mopar wiring harness is 7pin and comes with the option of installing an electronic brake controller, I just don't wanna go through the huge pain of the install or pay the dealer 1k. Does anyone know about any other options? I don't wanna skip the trailer brakes and regret it later. Driving all the way to Denver from LA to get the trailer. I do have a whole year or so before the trailer is finished though, but the wife wants to rent one soon to make sure we purchase one.
Sponsored

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Looking to purchase a small ~1000lbs camper trailer to tow with my 2D JL. The one I am looking at has the options to add electric brakes for $300. This seems like a no brainer to me, towing with a shortwheel wrangler having brakes on the trailer will make it a lot easier and safer. The issue is I didn't get the factory tow package, looking at all the wiring harness online they are all 4 pin and I will need a 7pin for the brakes.

I know the mopar wiring harness is 7pin and comes with the option of installing an electronic brake controller, I just don't wanna go through the huge pain of the install or pay the dealer 1k. Does anyone know about any other options? I don't wanna skip the trailer brakes and regret it later. Driving all the way to Denver from LA to get the trailer. I do have a whole year or so before the trailer is finished though, but the wife wants to rent one soon to make sure we purchase one.
It really isn't that much of a pain to install. I did it in about 2 hours in my barn. Sure it looks like you just destroyed your jeep with as much plastic as gets stacked up, but it's really no big deal. I like factory parts when there isn't an aftermarket option that does it better or cheaper. To me, the trailer wiring is that.